Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096612 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1125 on: February 12, 2009, 09:59:52 AM »
Toby Young's "How to Lose Friends and Alienate People," a memoir about how he fucked up his job at Vanity Fair).

Is that any good? it was recently made into a movie with Simon Pegg that got some horrendous reviews and made about a buck-and-a-half, box-office-wise.

The trailer for that looked like it could have been good. Pegg has done well with the slimmest of material before.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: February 12, 2009, 10:11:02 AM »
Toby Young's "How to Lose Friends and Alienate People," a memoir about how he fucked up his job at Vanity Fair).

Is that any good? it was recently made into a movie with Simon Pegg that got some horrendous reviews and made about a buck-and-a-half, box-office-wise.

The trailer for that looked like it could have been good. Pegg has done well with the slimmest of material before.

I thought the same thing at the time, but it averaged a 36 on Metacritic, with wildly divergent opinions -- Ebert loved it (tho' he loves almost everything these days) and Manolha Dargis in the NYT said "crushingly unfunny and slopped-together."
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: February 12, 2009, 12:43:03 PM »

I thought the same thing at the time, but it averaged a 36 on Metacritic, with wildly divergent opinions -- Ebert loved it (tho' he loves almost everything these days) and Manolha Dargis in the NYT said "crushingly unfunny and slopped-together."

The book was surprisingly entertaining - "surprisingly," because Young's more than than a bit of an asshole, yet he is funny and self-deprecating enough that you find yourself somehow not hating him.  The movie came and went without a trace - I actually thought it had gone direct to video.  Young's follow-up, "The Sound of One Hand Clapping," is proving far inferior.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: February 18, 2009, 09:49:15 AM »
Gawd, here's that godawful Jason Mraz song ("I'm Yours") yet again. Fingernails on a blackboard, truly. His voice just sounds so fake and affected -- like Jack Johnson talking baby-talk to an infant. (what adult says "giving you my best-est"?). Gaz, please explain why you like this guy, musically speaking (I'm assuming you also find him cute), because I'm sincerely curious -- his popularity baffles me.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: February 18, 2009, 11:07:03 AM »
Gawd, here's that godawful Jason Mraz song ("I'm Yours") yet again. Fingernails on a blackboard, truly. His voice just sounds so fake and affected -- like Jack Johnson talking baby-talk to an infant. (what adult says "giving you my best-est"?). Gaz, please explain why you like this guy, musically speaking (I'm assuming you also find him cute), because I'm sincerely curious -- his popularity baffles me.

That was the song that I woke up to on my clock radio this morning at 6:10, and since I get up that early to throw on my sweats & walk the dog, it was stuck in my head for 45 minutes!  A truly annoying earworm.  When it came on the KFOG player just before 10@10 I had to kill it.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: February 19, 2009, 08:12:26 AM »

Maybe I'm just more sympathetic to the nu-hipster vibe, but there's a lot more to him than the cutesy lines.  (Indeed, another music-fanatic friend of mine described Mraz as "too clever for his own good," which is surely true.)  But I'd urge checking out his more adult efforts before writing him off.  Please give one listen to:

"Lucky" (f/ Colbie Caillat) (not the most innovative lyrics on the verses, but god is that a lovely chorus)

"Plane" (I get chills every time I hear this one)

“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: February 20, 2009, 09:15:47 AM »
Today the Morning Show is doing Request-O-Rama-O-Rama (first time for Webster unless I miss my guess) and it's all Oscar-related.  Some of their questions have been pretty good, f'rinstance name any three of the food items '09 nominee Mickey Rourke used in the notorious refrigerator scene in 9 1/2 Weeks.

But the winners...yeesh!  "Do you have anything by Cake?"  "Anything by Keane".

<RGMike voice>Who the hell ARE these people!?<RGMike voice.

Finally someone requested Zevon & they played "Johnny Strikes Up The Band".  But just now whilst typing the latest winner requested "Come On Eileen".

tangential thought, Wonder if we get an Oscar-related theme set today?

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: February 20, 2009, 09:20:07 AM »
"name any three of the food items '09 nominee Mickey Rourke used in the notorious refrigerator scene in 9 1/2 Weeks."

Having never seen this film - shockah! - I have to ask: What were they?  Is this something I want a mental picture of?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: February 20, 2009, 09:32:19 AM »
Today the Morning Show is doing Request-O-Rama-O-Rama (first time for Webster unless I miss my guess) and it's all Oscar-related.  Some of their questions have been pretty good, f'rinstance name any three of the food items '09 nominee Mickey Rourke used in the notorious refrigerator scene in 9 1/2 Weeks.

But the winners...yeesh!  "Do you have anything by Cake?"  "Anything by Keane".

<RGMike voice>Who the hell ARE these people!?<RGMike voice.

Finally someone requested Zevon & they played "Johnny Strikes Up The Band".  But just now whilst typing the latest winner requested "Come On Eileen".

tangential thought, Wonder if we get an Oscar-related theme set today?

This is a little (OK, a lot) better--the guy who knew that Gone With the Wind was the first all-color film to win Best Picture asked for Red Red Wine--by The Replacements!
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: February 20, 2009, 09:35:58 AM »
"name any three of the food items '09 nominee Mickey Rourke used in the notorious refrigerator scene in 9 1/2 Weeks."

Having never seen this film - shockah! - I have to ask: What were they?  Is this something I want a mental picture of?

Well it didn't include whipped cream, which knocked the first 4 or 5 callers out, it did include strawberries, cherries, chili peppers, milk, honey, cough syrup, jello, I forget what else.  I never saw it either, but Renee gave a full recap.

ETA:  Finally a request worthy of the occasion!  The Replacements cover of "Red Red Wine", which I'd never heard, and which is even more sped-up & punky than the Atari's cover of "Boys Of Summer".  Very fun!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 09:38:16 AM by mshray »

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: February 20, 2009, 09:37:47 AM »

This is a little (OK, a lot) better--the guy who knew that Gone With the Wind was the first all-color film to win Best Picture asked for Red Red Wine--by The Replacements!

I was making a phone call, so I missed the actual request, but heard the whole song.  Didn't know until after it was over who that had been, and first thought was, "Sure hope Urth heard that!"

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: February 20, 2009, 09:42:48 AM »
I can see where licking cough syrup off someone could be intoxicating.

But I didn't need to hear another premature-death song today, much as I love "Back on the Chain Gang."   :-[

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: February 20, 2009, 09:51:54 AM »
OK, "Crush" is putting me in a better place.  As you may have inferred, I've had a maelstrom of emotions lately.  "Crush" is the one I'd rather be focusing on today."

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: February 20, 2009, 09:59:49 AM »
was out of town for a week or so..  any news on Dave's 10@10 return?  will it ever happen?

also, I'm beginning to find Renee annoyee
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: February 20, 2009, 10:01:24 AM »
was out of town for a week or so..  any news on Dave's 10@10 return? 

Welcome back, John!  No news is ... no news.   :(