Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096531 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1005 on: December 17, 2008, 09:40:04 AM »
Webster's making an appearance right now (he's from Michigan too). What a suck-up!

And they're tippy-toeing around the fact that he's gonna replace Dave without quite actually saying it. Oy vey.

well, no they're NOT saying it -- Greg said he's doing the next 2 weeks (with Renee, while everyone else is off), or at least that's how I interpreted it.  He may well end up being Dave's replacement but I really believe no decision has been made yet.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: December 17, 2008, 09:59:46 AM »
Aw, I listened to Webster on Alice, and I don't find him so bad.  OTOH, I'm about 10 years younger than most of y'all, right?   ;-}

I called in a few months ago when I first heard him on KFOG (I'd missed his earlier slots) and he was very friendly, forthcoming about the move, about what happened to Mike Powers (moved down to L.A.), and happy about being at KFOG.

But yeah, he's no Dave.  Whatchagonnado?

Speaking of commercials... I hope my taping catches what is by far the worst commercial I've ever heard on KFOG.  It's the "12 days of Christmas" but people are getting things like 3 potato chips, and 7 sliced up pieces of hot dog.  It's so earnestly done, I thought it was a joke, and then the voiceover comes on and it's a commercial for the SF Food Bank or somesuch.  The listener immediately feels like a shmuck for laughing at the opening.  Super-annoying spot.

I think people 'round here are being a bit hard on Webster too.  I don't find him all that annoying.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: December 17, 2008, 10:07:34 AM »

The listener immediately feels like a shmuck for laughing at the opening.  Super-annoying spot.

I've been listening to Webster on the weekends ever since he came over & I dunno, jury's still out with me.  Not awful, but I just wish he'd take his breaths at the places I expect him too.  If he's ashtmatic or something I'll cut him some slack.

About that commercial, it's hasn't been since those awful VW commercials a couple years ago that I have been inspired to switch the station that fast.  And I did feel like a schmuck about it, but I got over that feeling after the 2nd day.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: December 17, 2008, 10:45:46 AM »

The listener immediately feels like a shmuck for laughing at the opening.  Super-annoying spot.

I've been listening to Webster on the weekends ever since he came over & I dunno, jury's still out with me.  Not awful, but I just wish he'd take his breaths at the places I expect him too.  If he's ashtmatic or something I'll cut him some slack.

About that commercial, it's hasn't been since those awful VW commercials a couple years ago that I have been inspired to switch the station that fast.  And I did feel like a schmuck about it, but I got over that feeling after the 2nd day.

the thing is... whoever they pick, what other options are there in the morning?  Sarah & Vinnie? Woody? the two ditsy queens on Energy 92.7?  We're all stuck with KFOG for the most part, I'm guessing.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: December 17, 2008, 10:49:28 AM »

the thing is... whoever they pick, what other options are there in the morning?  Sarah & Vinnie? Woody? the two ditsy queens on Energy 92.7?  We're all stuck with KFOG for the most part, I'm guessing.

We could "sully" ourselves with L&T on the Bone.  *shudder*
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: December 17, 2008, 10:49:42 AM »

Mike, do you know a source to find out what the Morning Show's ratings are against those others? I'd assume they're pretty good, as they've been keeping it going unchanged for so long (hell, even Renee has been on KFOG for over 10 years now, right?)
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: December 17, 2008, 10:56:40 AM »

Mike, do you know a source to find out what the Morning Show's ratings are against those others? I'd assume they're pretty good, as they've been keeping it going unchanged for so long (hell, even Renee has been on KFOG for over 10 years now, right?)

KFOG is solid overall (#11 in the most recent ratings):

http://www.radioandrecords.com/RRRatings/DetailsPage.aspx?MID=228&RY=2008&RQ=2&MP=0&OTHER=2&MN=San%20Francisco&MS=CA&MR=4&12P=5969400&UP=7/24/2008%2012:00:00%20AM&SU=CM&BPER=7.2&HPER=19.5&OPER=&NSD=&CE=0

but I don't know where to find it broken down by daypart.  And yeah -- 10 years for Renee. I still remember the morning that Kim Wonderley disappeared.  I think we were still on Yahoo then; one of us found the ad KFOG was running looking for a new traffic sidekick and posted it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: December 17, 2008, 11:01:37 AM »

If the new KFOG Morning show starts to suck, I'll probably switch to NPR.  But if nothing else, I have faith in Irish Greg to keep lining up interesting content.  Peter & Renee are pros, & while it's doubtfull that Webster has it in him to retire 15 yrs from now as Steve Young to Dave's Joe Montana, he's going to have a lot of help getting over the hump.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: December 17, 2008, 11:12:49 AM »

If the new KFOG Morning show starts to suck, I'll probably switch to NPR.  But if nothing else, I have faith in Irish Greg to keep lining up interesting content.  Peter & Renee are pros, & while it's doubtfull that Webster has it in him to retire 15 yrs from now as Steve Young to Dave's Joe Montana, he's going to have a lot of help getting over the hump.

NPR has been my refuge in the morning since we got up here. There doesn't seem to be any such thing as intelligent morning radio in the PDX market. Several bad examples of "morning zoo" however. The problem is that at 9, the main NPR affiliate goes to a local current affairs call-in show that is just TERRIBLE. Really boring, not too engaging, and just bad radio. I bet they have a lot of listeners turning away as soon as Morning Edition wraps.
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: December 17, 2008, 11:34:07 AM »

NPR has been my refuge in the morning since we got up here. There doesn't seem to be any such thing as intelligent morning radio in the PDX market. Several bad examples of "morning zoo" however. The problem is that at 9, the main NPR affiliate goes to a local current affairs call-in show that is just TERRIBLE. Really boring, not too engaging, and just bad radio. I bet they have a lot of listeners turning away as soon as Morning Edition wraps.

When i get tired of KFOG, I switch to Pandora where I have some strange combination stations (Black Sabbath / Niel Young / Jethro Tull / The Cure -- LZ / J. Geils / Beatles (my own Classic rock station)  -- Oingo Boingo / Be Bop Deluxe / Springsteen  -- Joe Jackson / Fairport Connection Convention (edit)).  The other day, somehow, the Monkees "Can You Dig It" showed up on the Black Sabbath station.  Pandora's Music Genome Project offers some satisfying surprises...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: December 17, 2008, 02:31:39 PM »
another 9:00 Pop Quiz, another rant about how stupid Fogheads are. Jeez, if you can't guess Andrew Lloyd Webber from these clues:

"Ho-sanna-hey-sanna-sanna-sanna-ho"
"Don't Cry For Me Argentina"
"I Don't Know How to Love Him"
"Memory... all alone in the moonlight..."

then you've lived in a cave for the last 35 years.

Wait, not being able to conjure up Andrew Lloyd's name is a bad thing?

har har, actually, when Peter yelped his clue for the first caller ("Don't cry for me, Argentina") I was thinking Madonna, too.  I forget the other clues they gave, but my Andrew Lloyd knowledge wasn't keen enough to guess him at first.  It was only after they added "I don't know how to love him" that I guessed that pixie.

Tosca Act 2 with Maria Callas -- now that's a katrina!
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: December 17, 2008, 02:39:00 PM »

When i get tired of KFOG, I switch to Pandora where I have some strange combination stations (Black Sabbath / Niel Young / Jethro Tull / The Cure -- LZ / J. Geils / Beatles (my own Classic rock station)  -- Oingo Boingo / Be Bop Deluxe / Springsteen  -- Joe Jackson / Fairport Connection Convention (edit)).  The other day, somehow, the Monkees "Can You Dig It" showed up on the Black Sabbath station.  Pandora's Music Genome Project offers some satisfying surprises...

I wish I got Rod's station, esp Be Bop Deluxe & The Jethro Tulls!

I skip around a lot, although this past week or two I've been KFOG-centric.  My short list includes of morning radio includes, in rough order:

KFOG        (prob not for long, though)
KUSF         (good music, good ticket giveaways -- no news though)
KQED/KALW (NPR)
KPOO        (esp Tuesdays w JJ)
The Bone   (great music, worst jocks ever telling boobie and fart jokes... love Sully's laugh, though)
98.1          (old school, please)
97.9 Pirate Cat Radio (trying to be younger and hipper than I am?)
Energy 92.7 (I'm sorry, Mike, but they can be fun AND funny)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 02:41:19 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: December 17, 2008, 05:23:58 PM »
Have you caught KFOG's recent promo that says "KFOG -- playing the new and the good?"

... like "new" and "good" are mutually exclusive?

HA!
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: December 17, 2008, 05:55:40 PM »
Have you caught KFOG's recent promo that says "KFOG -- playing the new and the good?"

... like "new" and "good" are mutually exclusive?

HA!

That is pretty damn funny. They must have been trying to find another word to describe classic rock without using anything that connotes "old", and "good" was the best they could come up with?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: December 18, 2008, 09:11:30 AM »
another 9:00 Pop Quiz, another rant about how stupid Fogheads are. Jeez, if you can't guess Andrew Lloyd Webber from these clues:

"Ho-sanna-hey-sanna-sanna-sanna-ho"
"Don't Cry For Me Argentina"
"I Don't Know How to Love Him"
"Memory... all alone in the moonlight..."

then you've lived in a cave for the last 35 years.

Wait, not being able to conjure up Andrew Lloyd's name is a bad thing?

har har, actually, when Peter yelped his clue for the first caller ("Don't cry for me, Argentina") I was thinking Madonna, too.  I forget the other clues they gave, but my Andrew Lloyd knowledge wasn't keen enough to guess him at first.  It was only after they added "I don't know how to love him" that I guessed that pixie.

Tosca Act 2 with Maria Callas -- now that's a katrina!

OK, today's clue was "He hails from San Mateo, but they love him in New England".  Dave even made football soundeffects in the background but the Foghead was still clueless.