Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096620 times)

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #3600 on: April 12, 2016, 10:48:25 AM »
as to the music mix, clearly this is to be a "next-gen" Triple-A. I mean, 1990-to-now is 26 years of "gold" to choose from. And the endless repetition of Cars/Police/TFF was was of the most annoying things about KFOG the last year or so (well, that and the 5-times-a-day recurrents; songs that are at minimum a year old).

Yep. I don't have a problem so much with the updating of the music (with apologies to those who want to hear 60's and 70's all of the time)... It's the callous handling of the staff which gets up my crawl (and I suspect most others).

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: April 12, 2016, 02:16:42 PM »
It's the callous handling of the staff which gets up my crawl (and I suspect most others).

Indeed. And yet, I suspect that my boycott (and the many who pledged to do the same on Facebook), will have 0 effect on ratings. And Mike, I really question whether 10@10 or Acoustic Sunrise/Sunset gave them that much of a bump in ratings. Those are pretty dead time periods anyways right? (After drive-time, Sunday morning/evening.)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: April 12, 2016, 07:48:13 PM »
It's the callous handling of the staff which gets up my crawl (and I suspect most others).

Indeed. And yet, I suspect that my boycott (and the many who pledged to do the same on Facebook), will have 0 effect on ratings. And Mike, I really question whether 10@10 or Acoustic Sunrise/Sunset gave them that much of a bump in ratings. Those are pretty dead time periods anyways right? (After drive-time, Sunday morning/evening.)

I don't know how Acoustic S/S did, but 10@10 has long been KFOG's highest-rated hour.  And yes, boycotting the station is basically meaningless unless you're wearing a people-meter.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 08:41:57 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: April 12, 2016, 11:59:07 PM »
as to the music mix, clearly this is to be a "next-gen" Triple-A. I mean, 1990-to-now is 26 years of "gold" to choose from. And the endless repetition of Cars/Police/TFF was was of the most annoying things about KFOG the last year or so (well, that and the 5-times-a-day recurrents; songs that are at minimum a year old).

Yep. I don't have a problem so much with the updating of the music (with apologies to those who want to hear 60's and 70's all of the time)... It's the callous handling of the staff which gets up my crawl (and I suspect most others).

100% agreed.

When DC first updated the music mix, the ratings went up into the 3's. Why couldn't Cumulus see this and quit while they were ahead? It was after he also dumped the morning show, AL quit, and then he started backtracking on the playlist that the ratings started going back down again. Cumulus has no clue how to run a station.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: April 13, 2016, 12:03:12 PM »
We flipped to KFOG this morning because my wife had heard a new voice and wanted to hear it again. There was a guy talking about how cool it was that his daughter was turning him on to new music and how excited he was about that.

She IDed him as Matt Pinfield.

Then in the car ride to drop off my boys at school I flipped to hear the tail end of a promo announcing Matt Pinfield in the mornings.

Wikipedia and his Twitter feed https://twitter.com/mattpinfield seem to indicate that he is based in New Jersey. Considering he's got two daughters (one in high school) there, seems highly unlikely he'd be moving.

Per Irish Greg on FB (he's producing the new morning show), Pinfield is indeed going to be based here. He's still a guy who (afaik) has never lived here, but whatevs.   There are still rumors circulating that Big Rick might get hired  (midday? evenings? weekends?).

Greg also said that there would be (shades of Alex Bennett) multiple guests in the studio interacting with one another and even occasionally a live studio audience.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:12:13 PM by RGMike »

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: April 13, 2016, 04:27:46 PM »
There are still rumors circulating that Big Rick might get hired  (midday? evenings? weekends?).

From his FB page:

"Today my schedule says "lunch with a program director."
Interesting things might happen!"

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: April 14, 2016, 12:06:11 AM »
Ok, I stand corrected:

Quote from: Matt Pinfield
Not close to being done packing 1,000 of CDs Vinyl Books for my move to the beautiful SF!

https://twitter.com/mattpinfield/status/720270037710450688

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: April 14, 2016, 12:06:49 AM »
And this:

Quote from: Matt Pinfield
wanted to send my love/thank everyone for their support in my move to SF doing  mornings on KFOG. Great station/great city.
https://twitter.com/mattpinfield/status/720279385803251712

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: April 19, 2016, 03:49:11 PM »
I don't know how Acoustic S/S did, but 10@10 has long been KFOG's highest-rated hour.  And yes, boycotting the station is basically meaningless unless you're wearing a people-meter.

The boycott that works is boycotting the advertisers, especially local businesses, and letting them know.  If a
business received a couple hundred letters from KFOG listeners -- letters, not e-mails -- politely informing them they
would not patronize their business as long as they continued to advertise on KFOG in order to protest the sacking
of the staff, they may well pull their advertising from the station.  If the KFOG listening community -- AKA the Fogheads --
was sufficiently committed, this tactic could produce results.  More likely, not enough people care enough to do anything
about it.

"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: April 20, 2016, 08:16:42 AM »
Damn, previewed but forgot to post. So listening this morning since 7AM.

It's all your favorite hits from the 90s, with some carefully calculated new songs thrown into the mix.

Paula Cole's "Where Have all the Cowboys Gone"? REM's "Man on the Moon"? Sarah Maclachlan's "Building a Mystery"? Egads, shades of Alice Radio from the 90s. They're teasing that Stephen Jenkins from Third Eye Blind will be an in-studio guest? Wow.

Oh, loved how Pinfield said how he loved KFOG's commitment to local music, then he introduces Matt Simons "Catch and Release" (already in regular rotation) who he says is from Palo Alto.

Goddamn. Third Eye Blind is more "local" than this guy. AllMusic says:
> New York-based pop singer/songwriter who became an unexpected success in Europe.
> A native of Palo Alto, California, singer/songwriter Matt Simons' first taste of success came, ironically, in Europe.

Also, signed by Sony. Really big "find" there, Pinfield.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 11:05:29 AM by darryl »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: April 20, 2016, 09:06:56 AM »
Damn, previewed but forgot to post. So listening this morning since 7AM.

It's all your favorite hits from the 90s, with some carefully calculated new songs thrown into the mix.

Paula Cole's "Where Have all the Cowboys Gone"? REM's "Man on the Moon"? Sarah Maclachlan's "Building a Mystery"? Egads, shades of Alice Radio from the 90s.

or pre-DC KFOG without the older oldies.  This is pretty much what they've been playing the last 2 weeks. Only a handful of '80s tracks: U2 is the new Police and REM are the new Tears For Fears.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: April 20, 2016, 09:57:52 AM »
Listened very briefly this morning, heard the new host refer to how excited he was to be at KFOX, and how much he loved San Francisco and the Bay Area. Yep, he said KFOX.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: April 20, 2016, 10:04:21 AM »
One irritant about Pinfield to me was the incessant time and IDs *EVERY* time he's back on the air. It reeks of a slickly produced drive time show.

Also - all the pre-taped filler! Sound/music bites that have no relevance. Uggggh. So lame.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: April 20, 2016, 11:06:18 AM »
They featured one fan of Pinfield, who purportedly phoned in about how great the music was. He was gushing so hard, it was difficult to believe it wasn't fake.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
RIP KFOG
« Reply #3614 on: April 20, 2016, 11:16:59 AM »
I have not been listening yet, but based on comments it sounds like the much ballyhooed "evolution"
is much ado about nothing.  After years of hacking away the various bits of uniqueness that made KFOG
what it was, the corporate overlords finally decided to sandblast away all remaining traces of its former
identity.  KFOG is now just another radio station.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"