Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096561 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #3465 on: May 20, 2015, 07:29:58 PM »
Great exchange on that Old Format FB page...

Foghead 1: I haven't listened to KFOG literally since the day after M. Dung left.

Foghead 2: Then why are you here? if that is the case, you missed the glory years of Dave Morey. M. Dung was fun in his way, but he's hardly emblematic of classic KFOG.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: May 22, 2015, 08:23:35 AM »
Now playing: Real Life "Send Me an Angel".

just came up again. Twice a month is about right for nuggets like this.  And there are enuf of them to go around that they shouldn't ever get overplayed.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:30:10 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: May 27, 2015, 09:53:51 AM »
NoName had to explain to Renee what the game "Horse" (as in basketball) is. SMH.

Followed by the 3 billionth Mumford clone: "Hold on Tight" by Greg Holden. So, he's Holden on tight?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 09:56:42 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: May 27, 2015, 08:43:16 PM »
KFOG is back to playing that song "My Type" by Saint Motel -- they played it briefly back in February; based on the lyric "I'm a man who's got very specific taste," I thought it might be from the 50 Shades of Gray sndtk, but no. Anyway, I went to the current Triple-A chart and sure enuf it's #11. But what was interesting is that the songs KFOG seems to play the most -- Imagine Dragons' "Bet My Life" and George Ezra's annoying "Budapest" are no longer in the top 30 -- they're considered "re-currents" by most stations, along with "Shut Up & dance", "Riptide", "Do I Wanna Know" and a half-dozen others that KFOG seems to play 5 or 6 times a day. (but the newer hits by those artists don't seem to be on KFOG's radar).

http://charts.bdsradio.com/bdsradiocharts/charts.aspx?formatid=7

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: May 28, 2015, 05:44:39 AM »
KFOG is back to playing that song "My Type" by Saint Motel -- they played it briefly back in February; based on the lyric "I'm a man who's got very specific taste," I thought it might be from the 50 Shades of Gray sndtk, but no. Anyway, I went to the current Triple-A chart and sure enuf it's #11. But what was interesting is that the songs KFOG seems to play the most -- Imagine Dragons' "Bet My Life" and George Ezra's annoying "Budapest" are no longer in the top 30 -- they're considered "re-currents" by most stations, along with "Shut Up & dance", "Riptide", "Do I Wanna Know" and a half-dozen others that KFOG seems to play 5 or 6 times a day. (but the newer hits by those artists don't seem to be on KFOG's radar).

Back on what is now the Pulse Boards, this used to be known (and still is?) as 'recurrentitis'. I don't know that we'd hate Vance Joy so much if we at least heard some different songs from him (of course I say that and then think of Train).

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: May 28, 2015, 08:03:11 AM »

Back on what is now the Pulse Boards, this used to be known (and still is?) as 'recurrentitis'. I don't know that we'd hate Vance Joy so much if we at least heard some different songs from him (of course I say that and then think of Train).

"recurrents" became a thing within the last 15 years or so; another consultant's innovation, I'm guessing. Back in the day, songs climbed the chart, peaked and went down and then you didn't hear them again except as oldies. But now songs stick arpund for 2 or 3 *YEARS*. That Arctic Monkeys song, and the dreaded "Sweater Weather" are both more than a year old.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: May 28, 2015, 08:28:09 AM »
Don't get me started on "Sweater Weather".  It's actually almost 2 years old.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: May 28, 2015, 08:35:20 AM »

Yes-- you're right. I remember hearing it on Live 105 when Steve Masters made his brief return to the station. And they were playing it a good 3 or 4 months before KFOG finally picked up on it.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: May 28, 2015, 09:02:23 AM »

Yes-- you're right. I remember hearing it on Live 105 when Steve Masters made his brief return to the station. And they were playing it a good 3 or 4 months before KFOG finally picked up on it.

More like a year... :O They were very late with that one. The last time they took that long that I recall was with "1901" by Phoenix.

KFOG just picked up on the new Imagine Dragons and George Ezra (or at least I just recently started hearing them on there.) They have also been playing Vance Joy "Mess is Mine" for awhile, although they still really need to lay off "Riptide".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: June 11, 2015, 02:58:48 PM »
question yesterday for the Mind the Gap "hipster": Who can't drive 55? 

Answer: "uh... Bruce Springsteen?"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3475 on: June 17, 2015, 12:53:39 PM »
Man that Fogheads for the Old Format FB page makes me ashamed to be a geezer sometimes.  Today, in a generally justified thread complaining about the song "Geronimo" being played too often, someone ranted that "Geronimo" was insulting to people of Apache descent. Yes, this woman was serious -- not sure if she was the same one complaining about the word "geezer" recently.  I posted that "geronimo!" is what you yell when you jump out a plane with a parachute and that's what the song is referencing (as in, "take the leap and jump into love") but it was to no avail.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3476 on: June 24, 2015, 10:02:34 AM »
I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of anyone who gets KFOG to stop playing that damn Hozier song.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3477 on: June 24, 2015, 10:28:46 AM »
I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of anyone who gets KFOG to stop playing that damn Hozier song.

Right before the top of the hour they played a song called Ex's and Oh's by Elle King that sounded kinda catchy, sort of like Amy Winehouse backed by the Black Keys. Hoping the bloom on that one lasts at least thru the summer.

Right there with you on the Hozier song though. That song was past its sell-by six months ago.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3478 on: June 24, 2015, 11:47:02 AM »

Right before the top of the hour they played a song called Ex's and Oh's by Elle King that sounded kinda catchy, sort of like Amy Winehouse backed by the Black Keys. Hoping the bloom on that one lasts at least thru the summer.

They had played that "Ex's & Oh's" song on New Releases Thursday Tuesday some months back and only recently started playing it again because it's big on the Triple-A chart.  Elle King, BTW is Rob Schneider's daughter, so I'm kinda inclined to dislike her on principle (children of privilege really burn my onions) but a hit is a hit.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3479 on: June 24, 2015, 08:51:38 PM »

They had played that "Ex's & Oh's" song on New Releases Thursday Tuesday some months back and only recently started playing it again because it's big on the Triple-A chart.  Elle King, BTW is Rob Schneider's daughter, so I'm kinda inclined to dislike her on principle (children of privilege really burn my onions) but a hit is a hit.

Elle King's situation bothers me considerably less than that of Will/Jaden/Willow Smith.