Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096516 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #3435 on: April 09, 2015, 10:58:22 AM »
Just heard a station promo featuring a listener from San Jose named Darryl Lee. Was that *our* Darryl? (Who hasn't been around a whole lot of late, but I suspect still lurks.)

yes that's him -- there's a promo with his wife Glady, too.  He told me via FB that they were interviewed at some event in SJ
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: April 22, 2015, 10:00:09 AM »
"Cantaloop" has been coming up a lot in the rotay.  I still remember how they ignored it when it was new -- 'cause old people hate hip-hop -- and then some years later they played another record (I'm blanking on the name) that was a total ripoff of "Cantaloop", while still ignoring the original.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: April 22, 2015, 10:20:14 AM »
Just heard a station promo featuring a listener from San Jose named Darryl Lee. Was that *our* Darryl? (Who hasn't been around a whole lot of late, but I suspect still lurks.)

yes that's him -- there's a promo with his wife Glady, too.  He told me via FB that they were interviewed at some event in SJ

Aw, you miss me, you really miss me!

Yeah, that was me. I still haven't heard the promo, and only just yesterday heard Glady's full one (she does hula).

So the story is that at the last minute we won two tickets to the last Concert for Kids in San Jose, but didn't have babysitting. So I was just going to go with our older son for maybe the openers and we'd bail. Glady and our youngest were hanging out at Christmas In The Park. We got there like 30 minutes early.

Once we were inside, Glady called me and said she ran into Annalisa outside and chatted. Shortly thereafter I tracked her down at the KFOG booth and said hi, and she asked about Glady and Luke. I told her we only won the two tickets, and we probably weren't even going to stay for the whole show. She said that she didn't know and would've hooked us up with two more tickets. At that point Dean K (one of the engineers who also occasionally fills-in evenings or weekends -- we met him at Bottle Rock a few years back) said that he had two extra tickets and graciously gave them to us.

Glady and Luke came over, then we went over to thank Dean again, and he asked us to do the promos.

Note: I have a *long* and involved rant in store for you re: getting chosen to carry Arbitron People Meters, and then after getting everybody in the family setup, them canceling our participation after *two days*. Sooooo disappointed. Gotta a meeting though. :-{

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: April 22, 2015, 03:02:20 PM »
So, my Arbitron story:

At the beginning of April I got the mail that every radio nerd dreams of: an invitation to carry a Portable People Meter for Arbitron.

That's right.  All my years of bitching about format changes, changing playlists, program rescheduling, overplayed songs -- I would finally have a fractional say about what I listen to on the radio.  My voice would be heard!!

I quickly called them back, but we were due to go on vacation the following week, so I asked them to send all of the stuff to my work but we wouldn't be able to start using them until this week.  They said this was fine.

So this past Monday I excitedly opened the big box left on my desk, and got everything charged up. Then I started digging around about PPMs and found this article:
http://www.seattleweekly.com/2012-07-04/music/the-meter-s-running/

Ugh, I didn't want that to happen to KFOG or any other station I like. I was so excited, I posted it to Facebook, with this comment:
{quote}
So, now that we have PPMs(!), I'm going to tune *out* KFOG anytime they play a "safe" oldie.

We also listen to KQED a lot, so hopefully that will help them. I'll try to tune in KSCU and KKUP more to give our local stations their due. My commute is so short though, I don't know if it'll make much of a difference though.
{quote}

When I brought the meters home, everybody was moderately excited -- cash for wearing a meter, woot!  Seeing my 7-year old lope around the hallway to keep his meter "active" was hilarious.  (It checks for movement every 15
minutes.)

We listened to some KQED, some KFOG, and watched John Oliver on HBO.

Tuesday morning, I made sure to "wake up" our meters to make sure KFOG got credit for our 7-8AM listening.  When I got to the kitchen, I heard some banal classic rock playing in the living and was horrified to see my kids had
turned the radio to KFOX.  KFOX?  That's not even one of our presets.  Aaaagh!

Kids brought meters to school, but I told them to keep it in their backpacks, so they "lost" about 6 hours of data there.  I wore mine all day, and listened to only slightly more KSCU than usual.  Well, ok, I did stream it to my laptop, which is rare.

So what an unpleasant shock to have my 7-year old ask me this morning why his meter had a message to call an 800-number this morning.  And in fact, all our pagers had the message.

So I called, and was informed of the bad news -- we were randomly being removed from the program.

I was so disappointed.

Was it my Facebook post? (Later that night in a panic I hid it from any of the KFOG DJs I'm friends with.)  Did we not provide enough data on commercial radio stations?  Did my KSCU "binge" throw off their numbers?  Was it because of the kids not wearing their meters for a 6-hour stretch during
the day?

These articles seem to indicate that in the past Arbitron would call to nag you to wear your meter, especially problematic for kids.  I couldn't find any articles explaining why somebody might get cut from the program after
only two days:

http://blatherwatch.blogs.com/talk_radio/2011/01/confessions-of-a-ppm-wearer-blatherwatch-has-unplugged-its-ppm.html
http://www.markramseymedia.com/2011/02/a-shocking-peek-at-the-real-people-of-ppm/
http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/radiowaves/article/Diary-of-a-portable-people-meter-person-3256625.php

At any rate, I'm really kind of bummed out about it. :-{

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: April 22, 2015, 03:11:47 PM »
So, my Arbitron story:

At the beginning of April I got the mail that every radio nerd dreams of: an invitation to carry a Portable People Meter for Arbitron....

It's possible the FB post was a factor; I'd thought there was some sort of confidentiality agreement with the PPMs (though I can't imagine they'd want you to lie if someone asked "what's that thing around your neck?")

PPMs really have ruined radio, IMHO -- that article about the Seattle station is typical. One of the reasons DC lost his job at KINK in Portland was that PPMs came in and KINK's ratings suddenly nosedived... and DC didn't compensate fast enuf to please management. Triple-A as a format has been negatively impacted by PPMs.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: April 22, 2015, 04:26:43 PM »
The kids' "Guide to your Portable People Meter" instructed them to say they're in a "Secret Research Study" (as if that would satisfy any curious kid, haha.)

I think we're allowed to say what the thing is, but we're not supposed to go into details. And they did say not to make public Twitter or Facebook posts. Oops.

But at least I didn't have to lie when they asked if I worked in Radio, TV or Advertising. (Thankfully they didn't ask about streaming video providers.)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: April 24, 2015, 09:12:29 AM »
someone on that Fogheads FB page was bitching about the Lemonheads' cover of "Mrs Robinson", complaining that they play it alot and why would they play an "inferior" cover when the original exists.  Now, I bitch about a lot of things that KFOG does but I also get that their target demo is people who were in high school from '85 to '95, not '65 to '75.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: April 27, 2015, 09:52:39 AM »
Pre-10@10, Stereo MCs "Connected", which has been coming up a lot lately, followed by Petty "Running Down a Dream", which has been coming up a lot for the last 25 years.

OTOH I heard "Your Love" by the Outfield at 5:45 this morning, which I don't recall coming up in regular rotay before. Seems more like Bone/Oldies 103 fodder.

I do kinda like this new My Morning Jacket song tho'.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 09:54:28 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: April 28, 2015, 09:50:03 AM »
Pre-10@10, Stereo MCs "Connected", which has been coming up a lot lately, followed by Petty "Running Down a Dream", which has been coming up a lot for the last 25 years.

OTOH I heard "Your Love" by the Outfield at 5:45 this morning, which I don't recall coming up in regular rotay before. Seems more like Bone/Oldies 103 fodder.

Hearing Yaz, "Situation" which I don't recall hearing outside of 10@10.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: May 06, 2015, 09:59:59 AM »
Greg Holden (?) "Hold on Tight" -- yet another Mumford clone on KFOG. Shocker.

Followed --oy -- by Police "Every Breath..." one of the many Po-Po "classics" they play constantly
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 10:01:35 AM by RGMike »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: May 06, 2015, 11:17:34 AM »

Heard that. Thought his voice sounded a little like David Gray's. As do Mumford and a lot of their antecedents.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: May 06, 2015, 11:21:08 AM »

Heard that. Thought his voice sounded a little like David Gray's. As do Mumford and a lot of their antecedents.

yeah, Gray's in there too -- it was the first time I heard it. So many of these guys are all the same  guy to me.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: May 06, 2015, 09:31:50 PM »
Now playing: Real Life "Send Me an Angel". (Which followed "Take Me to Church", LOL)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: May 07, 2015, 07:36:28 AM »
Now playing: Real Life "Send Me an Angel". (Which followed "Take Me to Church", LOL)

"I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of Real Life"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: May 07, 2015, 09:03:54 PM »
The "program Guide" on the KFOG website hasn't been updated since the 10@10 marathon returned -- it still shows Rosalie as being on from 6-10am Saturdays.

Also, a guy in that "Fogheads for the Old Format" FB group says KFOG is airing the Commonwealth Club (pre-recorded lecture series) on Sun nites at 9pm, which I find VERY hard to believe.