Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096554 times)

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #3420 on: March 10, 2015, 01:20:54 PM »

Maybe they're realizing how SICK people are of hearing the same 30 or 40 '80s classics over and over and over -- seriously, half a dozen Police hits, plus "Sweet Dreams", "Here Comes the Rain", "Tainted Love", "Shout" and the usual Bowie tracks show up daily and are  beyond tired. I know folks have posted about it on the KFOG FB page.

Don't overlook RHCP's "Under The Bridge" and oddly enough Duran Duran's "Ordinary World".   Seriously, even my kids (who only listen to KFOG when they have to be in the car with me), have commented on the former.  They like it to be sure, but if a 15-year-old thinks something is overplayed, that tells you A LOT.

indeed -- not to mention lots and lots of Petty. But mid-'80s seems to be the sweet spot; they don't seem to play nearly as much Dave Matthews as they did 6 months ago. But I mostly hear early mornings and a little bit of late afternoon when I'm in the car going to/from the gym.

I used to think there was maybe a little difference between M-F prime time and "Your Weekend KFOG", but basically that it was really little more than a tag line.   

But I've come to believe that it's actually a whole different play list.  Just a couple moths ago (& I remember specifically when it was & where I was headed as I was out running errands in Livermore between dropping off and picking up my kids from piano lessons), they played Stone Roses "Fool's Gold" in it's 10 minute entirety (!?) around 1:30 on a Saturday.  I'd never heard that (full length) on the radio ever.

r/ “Fools Gold”… I want to say that it got played as part of a “Connected” theme from a couple of years ago, and must’ve generated positive enough feedback to warrant an occasional spin afterwards. Which goes to show for the billionth time that many in the audience appreciate something different every now and then, even if it’s not technically new.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: March 12, 2015, 09:20:54 AM »
Not sure about you, but to me that " Body Art Expo" that's being advertised on the stream sounds like Bro Fest 2015: "Hot babes...beer..tight butt contest...the most beautiful women in San Francisco...beer...it's a party...you GOTTA be there."

Yeah, this is a mindset that should be encouraged. Oy.
Let's get right to it.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: March 12, 2015, 10:48:11 AM »

Maybe they're realizing how SICK people are of hearing the same 30 or 40 '80s classics over and over and over -- seriously, half a dozen Police hits, plus "Sweet Dreams", "Here Comes the Rain", "Tainted Love", "Shout" and the usual Bowie tracks show up daily and are  beyond tired. I know folks have posted about it on the KFOG FB page.

Don't overlook RHCP's "Under The Bridge" and oddly enough Duran Duran's "Ordinary World".   Seriously, even my kids (who only listen to KFOG when they have to be in the car with me), have commented on the former.  They like it to be sure, but if a 15-year-old thinks something is overplayed, that tells you A LOT.

indeed -- not to mention lots and lots of Petty. But mid-'80s seems to be the sweet spot; they don't seem to play nearly as much Dave Matthews as they did 6 months ago. But I mostly hear early mornings and a little bit of late afternoon when I'm in the car going to/from the gym.

I used to think there was maybe a little difference between M-F prime time and "Your Weekend KFOG", but basically that it was really little more than a tag line.   

But I've come to believe that it's actually a whole different play list.  Just a couple moths ago (& I remember specifically when it was & where I was headed as I was out running errands in Livermore between dropping off and picking up my kids from piano lessons), they played Stone Roses "Fool's Gold" in it's 10 minute entirety (!?) around 1:30 on a Saturday.  I'd never heard that (full length) on the radio ever.

r/ “Fools Gold”… I want to say that it got played as part of a “Connected” theme from a couple of years ago, and must’ve generated positive enough feedback to warrant an occasional spin afterwards. Which goes to show for the billionth time that many in the audience appreciate something different every now and then, even if it’s not technically new.

“Fools Gold” was also something that appeared in regular rotay fairly often under DC as well as “The Only One I Know” by Charlatans UK, “Lullaby” by the Cure and a couple tracks by the Jesus & Mary Chain.

RE: with the current PD, I’ve also noticed a couple less obvious 80s/early 90s tracks have snuck into rotation -- Oingo Boingo “Just Another Day” & Siouxsie and the Banshees “Kiss Them For Me.” Of course I still hear at least a couple of Shout/Don’t You Forget About Me/Bizarre Love Triangle/Ordinary World/etc daily.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: March 12, 2015, 11:05:26 AM »
Not sure about you, but to me that " Body Art Expo" that's being advertised on the stream sounds like Bro Fest 2015: "Hot babes...beer..tight butt contest...the most beautiful women in San Francisco...beer...it's a party...you GOTTA be there."

Yeah, this is a mindset that should be encouraged. Oy.

HA! I had the same thought (that ad runs over-the-air too), mainly along the lines of, Hey, probably half the audience for a tattoo-fest in SF would be gay men, and you're specifically making it sound like the most heterosexist event imaginable? Way to limit your revenues.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: March 20, 2015, 09:29:08 AM »
The Waterboys' Whole of the Moon playing during the last hour of the Morning Show. Probably not the first time it's been played outside of 10@10 but it sure isn't in their regular rotation.

Btw, I am pretty sure that the Waterboys (likely Mike Scott with assorted supporting musicians) will be playing some west coast dates in the next month or two. Not sure where they're playing in SF but I know there's a Portland date. Could be good.
Let's get right to it.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3425 on: March 26, 2015, 09:55:26 AM »
I think I mentioned this in one of the other threads recently, but I just noticed it again: the levels (aka volume) on some songs are very inconsistent since they moved into the new studios. I find myself turning up the volume once in awhile, only to turn it down again for the next song or when the announcers come back in. Just now I found myself wanting to turn up the Cars' Let the Good Times Roll because I could barely hear it (aside: considering the song, I resisted the urge). Then the bumper following was plenty loud, but the Lemonheads' Mrs. Robinson was even more quiet.  Sounds like they still have some work to do on the new equipment.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: March 26, 2015, 06:20:27 PM »
Someone in the Fogheads for the Old Format FB group asked "will KFOG ever play the Beatles again?"  I didn't know they'd stopped. (Yeah, I know they don't show up like they used to but it's not like they're banned.) I posted that I'd heard "Come Together" in the last month or so, and that they certainly show up on '60s 10@10s.

ETA: someone responded that KFOG doesn't play Boston, man! I don't think they have (outside 10@10) in about a decade at least. Guess that guy never listens to The Bone, K-Fox, Big 103.7...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 06:40:45 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: March 27, 2015, 08:36:37 AM »
Another hilarious Mind the Gap fiasco: these are fill-in-the-blank questions:

For the geezer - "Key and ________"

For the hipster - "The Captain and _______"

neither had a clue.

Still, geezers seem to win at least 80% of the time, so yay for us old farts!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 08:38:19 AM by RGMike »

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: March 27, 2015, 11:03:50 AM »
ETA: someone responded that KFOG doesn't play Boston, man! I don't think they have (outside 10@10) in about a decade at least. Guess that guy never listens to The Bone, K-Fox, Big 103.7...

Heh.  All three of those are among my car radio pre-sets and I cycle through them regularly
when I'm searching for something tolerable to listen to on local drives.  I hear plenty of
Boston, thankyouverymuch.  It's been such a long time?  If only...
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: March 27, 2015, 11:08:44 AM »
Another hilarious Mind the Gap fiasco: these are fill-in-the-blank questions:

For the geezer - "Key and ________"

For the hipster - "The Captain and _______"

neither had a clue.

Still, geezers seem to win at least 80% of the time, so yay for us old farts!

If the "geezer" watched traditional "geezer" media, they would have seen K&P on Charlie Rose in the past few months.

I can't help thinking there's more than one correct answer for the hipster question, but after today's 1986 set I can't get
past saying "Spock," although "Captain Kirk and Spock" is the more correct phrasing.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: March 27, 2015, 11:16:48 AM »

If the "geezer" watched traditional "geezer" media, they would have seen K&P on Charlie Rose in the past few months.

And that, I think, is the key to why the geezers usually win on "MTG" -- If you're, say, 50ish, and you're on Facebook, or watch Daily Show, Fallon, Letterman, and the like... you pick up pop culture whether you want to or not.  You don't have to listen to Wild 94.9 all day to know who Robin Thicke is.

BUT (and here's my own inner geezer coming out), today's kids seem oblivious to stuff from before they were born, their heads are in their phones all day.  Whereas when I was a kid, I knew who Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman and Clark Gable were.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: March 27, 2015, 05:24:49 PM »

And that, I think, is the key to why the geezers usually win on "MTG" -- If you're, say, 50ish, and you're on Facebook, or watch Daily Show, Fallon, Letterman, and the like... you pick up pop culture whether you want to or not.  You don't have to listen to Wild 94.9 all day to know who Robin Thicke is.

BUT (and here's my own inner geezer coming out), today's kids seem oblivious to stuff from before they were born, their heads are in their phones all day.  Whereas when I was a kid, I knew who Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman and Clark Gable were.

Well, I'm not on Facepage, and I don't watch any of the network talk shows.  But I do know who Robin Thicke is -- he's
the one that made a very popular titty video with some gorgeous supermodels a couple of years ago, right?   ;)

I try to remember that our [geezer] memories are history for the kids.  We lived it; at best they read about it.  And while I
also knew about those people as a young'n, I'm not sure how deep my contemporaries' knowledge of recent cultural history
really was.  If your perception is accurate, there are several contributing factors:

media diversification:  We're a generation past having only the big three networks, and The Bruce's 57 channels is now 500.
Despite the bloviations of some pundits, there is no mainstream media anymore.

pull not push:  We're no longer beholden to what articles an editor decides to print, or which segments a producer choses
to air.  We can go on the Inter-tubes and pull down whatever we want to read or watch whenever we want it.  The usual
media curators are side-stepped; people mostly consume what their friends share with them.

school cuts:  I had some kind of music classes regularly throughout elementary school, and was fortunate enough that my
parents could afford to buy me an instrument so I could play in the band.  I have no particular aptitude for creating music, but
the experience was an important part of my education.  (The same with art classes.)  Music and the arts are early casualties
when budget cuts are made.

youth culture:  as it has for decades, the media tend to focus on cultural issues skewed toward the young, as they are
viewed as being more impressionable vis-a-vis having their buying habits changed, and are thus a more desirable
audience to attract advertisers.

There are also the individual circumstances of how much one's parents exposed you to various cultural elements, and
one's own disposition toward learning about recent contemporary history.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: March 31, 2015, 11:59:32 AM »
On "New Releases Tuesday" this morning, they played  "Xs & Os" by a woman named Elle King. Sounded like typical Triple-A fodder to my ears (most women on Triple-A sound like the same woman to me) but it happens that Elle King is the daughter of... Rob Schneider.  Here's hoping she doesn't share his wacky politics.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 12:01:43 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: April 08, 2015, 07:40:11 AM »
No Name is off today; it was kinda nice to hear Renee and Greg having adult conversations.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: April 09, 2015, 10:53:05 AM »
Just heard a station promo featuring a listener from San Jose named Darryl Lee. Was that *our* Darryl? (Who hasn't been around a whole lot of late, but I suspect still lurks.)
Let's get right to it.