Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096671 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #3240 on: April 17, 2014, 02:00:14 PM »
It may be just a Morning Show thing, but KFOG seems to be playing more "classics" (esp '70s stuff) than they were 6 months ago. Mostly obvious stuff (Cars) but the other day I heard "Stuck in the Middle with You". And Kevin Hunsanger of Green Apple Books, who along with Tim Goodman got the heave-ho after the Webster-and-Irish Greg purge, has been brought back to do book reviews (!).  They had Joel Selvin on recently too  -- geezers are takin' over, yo.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: April 21, 2014, 08:04:05 AM »
It may be just a Morning Show thing, but KFOG seems to be playing more "classics" (esp '70s stuff) than they were 6 months ago. Mostly obvious stuff (Cars) but the other day I heard "Stuck in the Middle with You". And Kevin Hunsanger of Green Apple Books, who along with Tim Goodman got the heave-ho after the Webster-and-Irish Greg purge, has been brought back to do book reviews (!).  They had Joel Selvin on recently too  -- geezers are takin' over, yo.

this morning in the first hour I heard "Have You Ever Seen the rain", "Kodachrome", and "Dream On"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: April 24, 2014, 07:41:07 AM »

this morning in the first hour I heard "Have You Ever Seen the rain", "Kodachrome", and "Dream On"

When I posted about this on FB I said "remember when they used to play 'Rocket man' 27 times a week?"  Well, guess what appeard at 6:20 this morning?  ::)

Also, fresh from yesterday's 10@10, we head Freddie Jones Band "In a Daydream" in the 6:00 hour.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: April 24, 2014, 10:07:26 AM »

When I posted about this on FB I said "remember when they used to play 'Rocket man' 27 times a week?"  Well, guess what appeard at 6:20 this morning?  ::)

Also, fresh from yesterday's 10@10, we head Freddie Jones Band "In a Daydream" in the 6:00 hour.

I've been noticing an uptick in U2 the last week or so (both on KFOG and a couple of Portland stations), and more recently Los Lonely Boys seem to be in regular rotation, too. My assumption is they have albums and/or tours coming.
Let's get right to it.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: April 24, 2014, 03:12:47 PM »
Webster led off his show this afternoon with David Bowie's "Andy Warhol" -- that's one I don't think I've heard on the radio since the early 80s -- and that was college radio.

And just to reinforce my aforementioned theory, it was followed by U2's Invisible.
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: April 25, 2014, 08:56:09 AM »
Webster led off his show this afternoon with David Bowie's "Andy Warhol" -- that's one I don't think I've heard on the radio since the early 80s -- and that was college radio.

Wow, that would have been a surprise for sure.  If I was awake at that time.

warHul warHul
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: April 25, 2014, 09:20:24 AM »

warHul warHul

there was a Warhol-related news story yesterday, wasv't there?  Webster has some kinda "My Three Things" that he starts the showwith every day, i think.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: April 25, 2014, 05:05:59 PM »

warHul warHul

there was a Warhol-related news story yesterday, wasv't there?  Webster has some kinda "My Three Things" that he starts the showwith every day, i think.

Ah, yes--some Warhol sketches were discovered on a floppy disk from a Commodore Amiga or some other long outdated computer. You may have hit on it.
Let's get right to it.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: May 02, 2014, 10:03:44 AM »
Fogheads are idiots, episode 346:

Renee just played a phone call with a foghead who apparently called in right before 10 to request a Coldplay song. And the guy goes on about how he's been listening to KFOG and 10@10 since he was a teenager (he's in his 40s now). AND THEN he asks if Dave Morey is still doing 10@10.

Big fan. HUGE fan. Right.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: May 11, 2014, 10:23:36 AM »
No mention in this thread of the latest change: Mr Pugh is gone and they brought in a new overlord from Chicago to run KFOG & The Bone. And the usual "OMG! KFOG is Doomed!" comments appeared on social media bur it doesn't seem that way to me.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: May 11, 2014, 04:18:04 PM »
No mention in this thread of the latest change: Mr Pugh is gone and they brought in a new overlord from Chicago to run KFOG & The Bone. And the usual "OMG! KFOG is Doomed!" comments appeared on social media bur it doesn't seem that way to me.

Yep, as I mentioned in a couple of places, when you really stop to think about it, KFOG's stability over the past 30+ years is actually fairly remarkable. I predict no real impact.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: May 11, 2014, 11:34:20 PM »
Yep, as I mentioned in a couple of places, when you really stop to think about it, KFOG's stability over the past 30+ years is actually fairly remarkable. I predict no real impact.

I do not know about the specifics of KFOG/Cumulus/the radio business, but in general, never underestimate the
ability of corporate suits to fuck something up.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: May 12, 2014, 10:16:00 AM »

I do not know about the specifics of KFOG/Cumulus/the radio business, but in general, never underestimate the
ability of corporate suits to fuck something up.

See also: DC.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: May 22, 2014, 12:22:53 PM »
From a FB Foghead (neither a 'snipe nor a member of this forum): "Annalisa is a huge asset to KFOG. I always liked her Acoustic Sundays."

Clearly she's thinking of Rosalisa.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: May 28, 2014, 09:55:07 AM »
I mentioned elsewhere that Radiohead's "Creep" has been showing up a lot. Ditto multiple Cars songs.