Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096568 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #3225 on: March 11, 2014, 10:48:05 AM »
Listened to the morning show for about five minutes today. It was good to hear the news headlines. However, Renee did pose the question "Does anybody even use a clock radio. I dunno".

Well, I know of at least one person who does. Me. Clock radios work just fine for what they are supposed to do, thank you very much. This blanket dismissal of slightly dated technology really pisses me off. And you know Renee, you do work in the radio business. Don't shit all over it, it's just common sense.

Since you posted this at 6:45 am I have to assume you were listening at a relatively early hour. I gotta wonder what percentage of the KFOG audience at that exact moment was listening via clock radios. 50? 60? More?

ah but wait, here's the kicker: she made that comment at around 6:10 because she had just played Bobby McFerrin's "Don't Worry Be happy" -- good gawd was that a kick in the balls at that hour. It's his birthday today, apparently, but jeezus. And so she was imagining someone's clock radio going on in the middle of that song. I was in the shower and I considered drowning myself.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #3226 on: March 11, 2014, 10:49:30 AM »
Listened to the morning show for about five minutes today. It was good to hear the news headlines. However, Renee did pose the question "Does anybody even use a clock radio. I dunno".

Well, I know of at least one person who does. Me. Clock radios work just fine for what they are supposed to do, thank you very much. This blanket dismissal of slightly dated technology really pisses me off. And you know Renee, you do work in the radio business. Don't shit all over it, it's just common sense.

Since you posted this at 6:45 am I have to assume you were listening at a relatively early hour. I gotta wonder what percentage of the KFOG audience at that exact moment was listening via clock radios. 50? 60? More?

ah but wait, here's the kicker: she made that comment at around 6:10 because she had just played Bobby McFerrin's "Don't Worry Be happy" -- good gawd was that a kick in the balls at that hour. It's his birthday today, apparently, but jeezus. And so she was imagining someone's clock radio going on in the middle of that song. I was in the shower and I considered drowning myself.
I enjoyed it, but am conditioned at this point to hear the screams of those suffering.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: March 11, 2014, 11:03:17 AM »

Yeah, it was about that time. I was in my car pulling into the ferry parking lot as my CD was concluding, and had a couple of minutes to kill.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: March 11, 2014, 11:21:37 AM »
Really wish they'd ash-can that Progressive stream ad with the Betsy Ross action figure bit. Not funny, not clever, and sounds as if it were piece together from some bad improv. If that's the best of what they came up with, I'm glad we're not hearing some of the other bits.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: March 11, 2014, 11:26:13 AM »
funny stuff in this thread today! 

I have a clock radio, but I had to stop using it because it's making weird buzzing noises.  I'll donate/detonate it soon.

I may not replace it because I found I stayed in bed longer if I have a radio within reach.

~CPL593H~

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: March 11, 2014, 11:59:42 AM »
Well, I know of at least one person who does. Me. Clock radios work just fine for what they are supposed to do, thank you very much. This blanket dismissal of slightly dated technology really pisses me off.

I feel the same way about 3.5" floppies, VHS, and cassette tapes.  :)
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: March 18, 2014, 08:26:34 AM »
This morning at 6:10-ish, RR had some annoyingly-voiced Foghead (a guy) on to gush about last nite's Dancing w/the Stars. Apparently this is to be a weekly thing. 'twas quite awful, it was.  Do people still watch that show? People in KFOG's target demo?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: March 18, 2014, 09:53:35 AM »
This morning at 6:10-ish, RR had some annoyingly-voiced Foghead (a guy) on to gush about last nite's Dancing w/the Stars. Apparently this is to be a weekly thing. 'twas quite awful, it was.  Do people still watch that show? People in KFOG's target demo?

I'm holding onto hope that we're nearing the sell-by date on shows like that and American Idol--and the rest of that ilk. Christ, I think Survivor is still on the air, and it's been on what, 12 or 13 years?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3233 on: March 18, 2014, 09:56:33 AM »

I'm holding onto hope that we're nearing the sell-by date on shows like that and American Idol--and the rest of that ilk. Christ, I think Survivor is still on the air, and it's been on what, 12 or 13 years?

I spoke too soon: there's a g'snipes thread about it and apparently people do watch. Poor Billy Dee Williams -- he's 77 and he was apparently stumbling all over the place last nite. :'(

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: March 18, 2014, 10:07:02 AM »

I think they are here to stay, but I am fairly successful at ignoring them.  To each their own.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: March 18, 2014, 08:05:46 PM »

I think they are here to stay, but I am fairly successful at ignoring them.  To each their own.

"Survivor" debuted on 5/31/2000. I have never watched. I did try "American Idol" once, and gave up after about 30 minutes.

Yeah, I would agree these shows aren't going anywhere. If it makes people happy...

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: March 18, 2014, 10:24:02 PM »
"Survivor" debuted on 5/31/2000. I have never watched. I did try "American Idol" once, and gave up after about 30 minutes.

Yeah, I would agree these shows aren't going anywhere. If it makes people happy...

I've been watching Survivor since the beginning and would count myself as a fan.  Having been
on the wrong end of a number of layoffs and "reductions in force," I find the group dynamics
vis-a-vis alliances and deciding who to "vote off" interesting.  I also enjoy The Amazing Race.
They're among the few programs I watch regularly.  Beyond that, I don't care much for all the
other reality clones, although I can understand the appeal of the elimination format.  In particular,
while I enjoy watching dance, I don't like watching mediocre dancing.  I guess I've been spoiled
by America's Ballroom Challenge on PBS.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: March 21, 2014, 09:58:40 AM »
I like that Artic Monkeys song... but they were playing it when I left the house at 6:30 this morning and here it is again.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: March 25, 2014, 08:17:49 AM »
Renee seems to be loosening up a bit in the AM.  In the 6:00 hour she was gushing about the "older ladies" at her gym in San Rafael, who totally kicked her butt in stretch class Saturday morning -- and then she played ONJ's "Physical" (!).

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: March 26, 2014, 07:53:24 AM »
Renee seems to be loosening up a bit in the AM.  In the 6:00 hour she was gushing about the "older ladies" at her gym in San Rafael, who totally kicked her butt in stretch class Saturday morning -- and then she played ONJ's "Physical" (!).

another AM oddity: today at around 6:40 she played Level 42, "Something About You", which I don't think I've ever heard on KFOG outside of 10@10