Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096599 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #3090 on: June 14, 2013, 07:26:18 AM »
Trying to de-Live 105 yourself is counterproductive in my opinion when the songs you're re-adding have been overplayed for over a decade.  I also hear a lot less music in the morning.  Gah, I miss DC.  :'(

Yeah, they have really ratcheted up the chit-chat in the AM.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: June 14, 2013, 07:43:55 AM »
OMFG: Cinema Sam is like fingernails on a blackboard times infinity. If Mr Pugh really want to make the morning show more "adult" then she needs to GO.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: June 14, 2013, 08:21:31 AM »
Peter Tork on the Morning Show was a delight. Too bad he had to be followed by DMB "What Would You Say", for the second time on the morning show this week -- so, how many times per week do they play it, then? Sheesh.

ETA: nearly every non-current song I've heard this morning I've heard at least once before this week during the 6-10 hours. They're very "generic Triple-A" right now and I'm hearing a little less pre-'80s classics than a week or 2 ago.

ETA2: a quick look at TuneGenie shows NO pre-1980 songs played in the last 6 hours.  Wait: "Sultans of Swing" at 9:50, first '70s song of the day.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 09:52:36 AM by RGMike »

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #3093 on: June 14, 2013, 02:01:27 PM »
Trying to de-Live 105 yourself is counterproductive in my opinion when the songs you're re-adding have been overplayed for over a decade.  I also hear a lot less music in the morning.  Gah, I miss DC.  :'(

which wouldn't be so bad if Gory wasn't so clue-impaired!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: June 14, 2013, 02:17:07 PM »

which wouldn't be so bad if Gory wasn't so clue-impaired!

I'm not his biggest fan but i was impressed that he said (and that they let him say) that he thinks Sublime really sucks. Because they play Sublime multiple times a day.

And while I wouldn't go so far as to say I miss DC I *do* think he did EVERYTHING Cumulus asked him to.  Really. Maybe if they weren't so cheap and hadn't insisted that he do an airshift that he wasn't terribly suited for, instead of letting him hire a kickass PM Drive jock... the station would be doing better.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: June 16, 2013, 10:10:28 AM »
Apparently they've brought back "Cloud Cover" too, tho' I'm not sure what time of day they do it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: June 20, 2013, 09:04:14 AM »
Damn, they really are repeating non-currents a LOT.  BNLs "The Old Apartment" for the 3rd time in a week. Sheesh.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: June 21, 2013, 08:59:27 AM »
Yeesh: I don't remember them playing "Collide" by Howie Day when it  was new, but they're playing it now.

was also somewhat surprised to see that Frank Turner's "Recovery", which is one of my faves of the year so far, is #4 on the Triple-A chart ... so of course Live 105 and KFOG both seem to have stopped playing it.

http://www.fmqb.com/article.asp?id=16700
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 09:08:40 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: July 12, 2013, 08:37:07 AM »
damn, the repetition on KFOG -- not of currents but of the older tracks -- is really starting to grate. How many times a week does anybody need to hear "Sex & Candy". Or "The Walk"? Or [insert DMB song title here]?

Oh, and I just DETEST that song "Royals" by that woman who sounds like Florence Machine and the Of Monsters & Men chick had a baby. From the "let's find somebody who sounds like ______" page of the Lazy Record Exec's Handbook.

ETA: they just played the new Pearl Jam, "Mind Your manners" -- it's loud and fast and I actually kinda like it, somewhat to my surprise.  But given how snoozy KFOG's new incarnation is, will they put it into regular rotay?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 09:40:56 AM by RGMike »

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: July 15, 2013, 05:23:23 PM »
And now Webster is back...apparently just got started at 4:00.  Some gal called in to say welcome back, and he said "Why wouldn't I want to come back?  I get to play Jellyfish."  Which he promptly did.

And then he played another caller saying welcome back, but this guy also asked him where he'd been, and Webster said, "It depends on who you ask..." and then something about how kfog.com says he was on a sabbatical or whatever, and then Webster said "...or unpaid leave.  I'll take that."

So apparently neither KFOG nor KFOX can hire someone unless they've previously worked for the other station, but then they're not allowed to admit it?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 05:25:33 PM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: July 15, 2013, 05:43:24 PM »
So apparently neither KFOG nor KFOX can hire someone unless they've previously worked for the other station, but then they're not allowed to admit it?
Maybe it's just a no-no for them to mention the competition by name. (When Peter left to go to KGO, they did tell listeners that, I think, but that's another Cumulus station and not one that plays rock. And Tim J. did say this morning he'd be doing afternoons on The Bone.)

Btw, nice to see you back Mark!
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3101 on: July 16, 2013, 08:09:48 AM »
So, Gory is apparently the "star" of the morning show now and Mr Pugh is the sidekick. Makes sense, since Pugh is personality-free.

ETA: good gawd, how many times a week do they play 4 Non-Talents? Oy.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 08:20:01 AM by RGMike »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: July 16, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »
So, Gory is apparently the "star" of the morning show now and Mr Pugh is the sidekick. Makes sense, since Pugh is personality-free.

So you're implying that Gory has one?

Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: July 16, 2013, 09:37:45 AM »

LOL.  Compared to Pugh, Gory is Dr. Don Rose.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: July 16, 2013, 09:55:04 AM »

LOL.  Compared to Pugh, Gory is Dr. Don Rose.

Been listening for the last 45 min. or so, but thanks to a succession of phone calls and other interruptions, I haven't yet actually heard him -- or GG. (Perhaps I should be thankful.)
Let's get right to it.