Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096679 times)

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #3015 on: April 11, 2013, 10:30:30 PM »
I think there is something to the theory that, in DC's mind, '70 and '71 count as sets from that era.  Since we only ever (rarely) go back to '64, '64 through '73 are really the first decade of 10 @ 10s.  Personally, I prefer '70 thru '75 to the sixties sets, but that was my sweet spot in music development (I turned 16 in '75).

Musically I would also put '70 & '71 in with the sixties.  (To put it
more accurately, I think '67 through '71 is a distinct period.)  A
little bit of 1972 might also fit in there, but by then things were
starting to change.

I had one of those "gee, I'm getting old" experiences a few years ago
when I was in a record store and discovered The Supremes, The Monkees,
and The Mama & The Papas were all in a section explicitly labeled
"oldies."  That used to be for '50s/doo-wop.  Anyway, that mind set is
probably why we're not seeing as many sixties sets -- to the younger
listener that they're trying to attract, it's "oldies" music.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: April 15, 2013, 09:27:50 AM »
KFOG doing yet another World Concern radio-thon tomorrow.  Can't wait to see the Facebook comments.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: April 15, 2013, 09:47:55 AM »
KFOG doing yet another World Concern radio-thon tomorrow.  Can't wait to see the Facebook comments.

So instead of having commercials, it's like a day-long pledge break?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: April 18, 2013, 09:14:40 AM »
Gotta say I like that new OMD song "Metroland" -- very much a throwback to their early-'80s stuff.  Like it better than the new Depeche Mode.

also noticed they're playing "a KFOG classic" at apx :45 past the hour. This morning I heard the Staples' "I'll Take You There" and EJ's "Take me To the Pilot". Well, you won't hear either of those on Live 105.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 09:48:22 AM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: April 18, 2013, 10:22:48 AM »
Gotta say I like that new OMD song "Metroland" -- very much a throwback to their early-'80s stuff.  Like it better than the new Depeche Mode.

also noticed they're playing "a KFOG classic" at apx :45 past the hour. This morning I heard the Staples' "I'll Take You There" and EJ's "Take me To the Pilot". Well, you won't hear either of those on Live 105.  ;)

ah, they played this in concert, and to a casual fan like myself, it fit right in with their setlist -- because as you say, it's a throwback... and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.   

Their show was really good, btw, and the crowd was really appreciative and they were appreciative in turn. 

Dayum, the main singer guy has a lot of energy!  During Maid of Orleans, he did a credible imitation of Ian Curtis with arms flailing in time to the drum fills.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 02:35:18 PM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: April 20, 2013, 09:28:26 AM »
"Here's something NEW, on KFOG..." and they played that "Stompa" song they've been ignoring lo these many months. Betta late Stompa than neva, I guess.

OTOH, they're also playing "Recovery", which I like a lot (and which Live 105 beat them on by a month)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 11:13:09 AM by RGMike »

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: April 23, 2013, 12:41:23 PM »
Nice... Rosalie is playing Richie Havens' cover of "San Francisco Bay Blues".
Tuned to a natural E

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: April 24, 2013, 09:31:10 AM »
Are we sick of this Mowglis "San Francisco" song yet?   Someone commented recently about choral singing being a trend (see also: Fun.) and it occurs to me that these bands are thinking "let's do songs that will sound good on Glee"

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: April 24, 2013, 10:45:56 AM »
Are we sick of this Mowglis "San Francisco" song yet?   Someone commented recently about choral singing being a trend (see also: Fun.) and it occurs to me that these bands are thinking "let's do songs that will sound good on Glee"

It's so obvious, now that you mention it.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: April 24, 2013, 11:16:33 AM »

It's so obvious, now that you mention it.

I think I may have been the one who first made that observation, although missed the Glee connection (not surprisingly since I have never watched that show). But it would make perfect sense.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: May 07, 2013, 09:14:14 AM »
I will be very glad when Bottle Rock Napa Valley is over. Jus' sayin'.

OTOH, I like that new Fleetwood Mac they just played.

Oy: Sara Paralysis has a new one too.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 09:31:55 AM by RGMike »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: May 07, 2013, 10:37:07 AM »

Amen to that.

Btw, I haven't heard a peep about the BottleRock folks offering any kind of refund or discount in light of their losing one of their headliners when Further bailed out last week. They scrubbed any mention of the band off their website quickly enough but I gotta imagine that they sold a lot of tix on the strength of the post-Dead playing so it would behoove them to make good with those people. Anyone heard anything that I haven't?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: May 07, 2013, 10:50:30 AM »

Amen to that.

Btw, I haven't heard a peep about the BottleRock folks offering any kind of refund or discount in light of their losing one of their headliners when Further bailed out last week. They scrubbed any mention of the band off their website quickly enough but I gotta imagine that they sold a lot of tix on the strength of the post-Dead playing so it would behoove them to make good with those people. Anyone heard anything that I haven't?

the other "big" names scheduled that day are extending their sets and the head honcho said he had something up his sleeve.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: May 07, 2013, 11:00:33 AM »

Amen to that.

It seems like it would be kind of messy if they did that...especially since they have 75+ acts, roughly have of which have decent-sized notoriety.  Perhaps they could give the option for a refund for people who only bought that day (but not for all-week passes, as people who bought those are going for more than 1 act.)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: May 07, 2013, 06:16:45 PM »

Amen to that.

It seems like it would be kind of messy if they did that...especially since they have 75+ acts, roughly have of which have decent-sized notoriety.  Perhaps they could give the option for a refund for people who only bought that day (but not for all-week passes, as people who bought those are going for more than 1 act.)

Yeah, it could be messy but that's show biz. They sold tickets predicated on Further being one of the headline acts playing, and now that they're not I think he is obligated to make good in some fashion. You're right that the single-day ticket holders are definitely more owed  compensation than the full-week passholders, but none of them are going to get something they essentially paid for. A festival on this scale should be insured for cancellations anyway, so it's insurance company's burden as much as his.
Let's get right to it.