Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096577 times)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #3000 on: April 02, 2013, 10:25:56 PM »
On G. Dunn's friends page, I saw that SillyFoghead has a new picture.  And apparently lives in Tennessee now.  Figures that we haven't heard anything from him in awhile.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: April 03, 2013, 07:41:08 AM »
On G. Dunn's friends page, I saw that SillyFoghead has a new picture.  And apparently lives in Tennessee now.  Figures that we haven't heard anything from him in awhile.

he's always been in Tenn., actually. Which makes his KFOG/AL obsession weirder, but explains his right-wing nutjobbery.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: April 04, 2013, 09:26:11 AM »
damn, I am very sick of this ZZ Ward "Put the Gun Down" song -- what a blatant attempt to synthesize Adele and Florence.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: April 05, 2013, 09:19:12 AM »
KFOG beefing up on the "classic alt" in reaction to Live 105's recent tweaks?  seems so to my ears.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: April 05, 2013, 10:02:25 AM »
KFOG beefing up on the "classic alt" in reaction to Live 105's recent tweaks?  seems so to my ears.

I'd actually say it's the other way around.  I've been hearing tracks such as "This is the Day," "So in Love," "There is a Light That Never Goes Out" fairly often on KFOG before Live brought Masters back.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: April 08, 2013, 01:55:10 PM »
Someone's not paying attention to the playlist again. Two songs before 10@10 this am, Tim J. played Clocks by Coldplay, and then less than an hour later, the song coming out of 10@10 was also Coldplay, Every Teardrop is a Water(something). (Tunegenie cut off the name.)
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: April 08, 2013, 02:23:29 PM »
Someone's not paying attention to the playlist again. Two songs before 10@10 this am, Tim J. played Clocks by Coldplay, and then less than an hour later, the song coming out of 10@10 was also Coldplay, Every Teardrop is a Water(something). (Tunegenie cut off the name.)

"every teardrop is another piece of jewelry for Gwynneth"

in switching back'n'forth between KFOG and Live 105 today I've heard "Clocks" twice and also "Bittersweet Symphony" twice. Not to mention all the shared currents. I'm already sick of that new Of Monsters & Men "Hold Your Horses" song.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 02:31:14 PM by RGMike »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: April 08, 2013, 02:38:03 PM »

in switching back'n'forth between KFOG and Live 105 today I've heard "Clocks" twice and also "Bittersweet Symphony" twice. Not to mention all the shared currents. I'm already sick of that new Of Monsters & Men "Hold Your Horses" song.

Another song I caught pre-10@10 this am was the imaginately named Philip Philips (Bob Roberts, anyone?) who struck me as a second-rate Mumford & Clone. Mike, it's probably safe to say this is what has taken over for the Feist-alikes of a couple years ago.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: April 08, 2013, 02:59:10 PM »

Another song I caught pre-10@10 this am was the imaginately named Philip Philips (Bob Roberts, anyone?) who struck me as a second-rate Mumford & Clone. Mike, it's probably safe to say this is what has taken over for the Feist-alikes of a couple years ago.

yes, absolutely. He's also last years' American Idol winner, which makes him even more annoying. You win that contest, you get a record deal -- and your sole ambition is to SOUND EXACTLY, SLAVISHLY LIKE SOMEONE ELSE?  I realize imitation is nothing new -- there were hundreds of Elvis soundalikes in the late '50s and so on... but these days it seems that's all there is.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: April 08, 2013, 08:24:58 PM »

Ahh, be nice. He's a good 3% more tolerable than Mumford.

And remember, the original "Sea Of Love" was done by Phil Phillips.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: April 08, 2013, 08:25:43 PM »

yes, absolutely. He's also last years' American Idol winner, which makes him even more annoying. You win that contest, you get a record deal -- and your sole ambition is to SOUND EXACTLY, SLAVISHLY LIKE SOMEONE ELSE?  I realize imitation is nothing new -- there were hundreds of Elvis soundalikes in the late '50s and so on... but these days it seems that's all there is.

Ok, annoying as they may be (and I do understand they're not an AI winner), who does Foster The People sound like?

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: April 09, 2013, 09:53:22 AM »

Yes...that song is terrible.  It's in my bottom 5 of 2012 (along with Ed Sheeran "A Team," Jack White "I'm Shakin," and Green Day "Oh Love").  Who thought it was a good idea for an American Idol contestant to re-record what sounds like a near-exact re-arrangement of the Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeroes song of the same name.  >:(

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: April 09, 2013, 02:00:25 PM »

Yes...that song is terrible.  It's in my bottom 5 of 2012 (along with Ed Sheeran "A Team," Jack White "I'm Shakin," and Green Day "Oh Love"). 

heh.  TANC: Green Day's "Oh Love" on Live 105 just now. Dude, either your heart's "on a noose" or it's "on the loose" -- it can't be both.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: April 11, 2013, 11:13:05 AM »

I'd actually say it's the other way around.  I've been hearing tracks such as "This is the Day," "So in Love," "There is a Light That Never Goes Out" fairly often on KFOG before Live brought Masters back.

I do suspect that the lack of '60s on 10@10 (if it is indeed a permanent thing) is a reaction to Live 105's tweaks.  Switching back'n'forth between the 2 stations it's often impossible to tell the difference, save for that new Crapton blooze-you-can-snooze song that KFOG's been playing, which of course Live 105 will never touch.  But I'll go from one to the other and hear the song KFOG just played, 5 mins later on 105.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: April 11, 2013, 11:31:26 AM »

I do suspect that the lack of '60s on 10@10 (if it is indeed a permanent thing) is a reaction to Live 105's tweaks.  Switching back'n'forth between the 2 stations it's often impossible to tell the difference, save for that new Crapton blooze-you-can-snooze song that KFOG's been playing, which of course Live 105 will never touch.  But I'll go from one to the other and hear the song KFOG just played, 5 mins later on 105.

I think there is something to the theory that, in DC's mind, '70 and '71 count as sets from that era.  Since we only ever (rarely) go back to '64, '64 through '73 are really the first decade of 10 @ 10s.  Personally, I prefer '70 thru '75 to the sixties sets, but that was my sweet spot in music development (I turned 16 in '75).
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing