Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096517 times)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2985 on: March 06, 2013, 10:33:52 AM »
more likely Pat "musical manwhore" Monahan is jumping on the Mumford bandwagon.  I like the Mumfords but the 87 bands trying to sound just like them get to be a bit much. What on earth is "alternative" about banjos and mandolins? Especially when EVERYBODY is using them. The Mumford/Avett Sons/Brothers Head and Heartineers. Sheesh.

Groups of singers all singing in unison seems to be on the rise too (Youngblood Hawke, Fun., probably others). The Polyphonic Spree was just a decade ahead of their time.

OMG...Yes and yes.  We were just discussing that these are two of the three hot current trends at alternative, the third being electro-rock (i.e. Capital Cities, Passion Pit. M83 -- all of which KFOG has apparently also added.)

Bands that sound like the Lumimumfettbros have been on AAA forever, but the Mumfords just slickly packaged it and threw in an F-bomb to get it on alternative...and look at what followed.

It's such a change from the 2000s, when were were inundated with Redhotfoostonetempleriseagainstthenirvanamachinefighterpilots.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 10:43:18 AM by radical347 »

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: March 06, 2013, 01:45:45 PM »
So, has anyone entered the KFOG contest for an eight-day getaway to an unknown (presumably exotic) locale with your DJ pal, Renee? I hope DW wins.

I thought they announced the winner... to Brussels. With Renee?  ???

Must be a different contest. Here are the details on the KFOG page:

http://kfog.listenernetwork.com/Contest/2iWGuu

Horrible misuse of "their" for "they're" in the ad, BTW.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 01:47:42 PM by Here'sToYa! »
Slipping into something
And out of something else

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: March 06, 2013, 02:07:16 PM »
Bands that sound like the Lumimumfettbros have been on AAA forever, but the Mumfords just slickly packaged it and threw in an F-bomb to get it on alternative...and look at what followed.

They really fooked it oop this time.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: March 08, 2013, 09:52:49 AM »
wow, has it really been a year-and-a-half since Mayer Hawthorne's "The Walk" first started getting airplay? Time flies.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: March 08, 2013, 09:55:37 AM »
wow, has it really been a year-and-a-half since Mayer Hawthorne's "The Walk" first started getting airplay? Time flies.

Seriously? This is the first time I've heard it and I'm rather digging it. Wonderful homage to 60s soul acts like Smokey and the Miracles and the like.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: March 08, 2013, 10:28:30 AM »

Seriously? This is the first time I've heard it and I'm rather digging it. Wonderful homage to 60s soul acts like Smokey and the Miracles and the like.

It was "most overplayed song ever" for a while last year. And there was much discussion here, re: howcum KFOG plays a white hipster from LA doing retro-soul but ignores black artists like Rafael Saddiq, Sharon Jones et.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 09:59:27 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: March 11, 2013, 09:55:27 AM »
Renee says the new Matt Nathanson song "has an edge to it". uh, Renee... "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means"

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: March 11, 2013, 02:07:44 PM »
Renee says the new Matt Nathanson song "has an edge to it". uh, Renee... "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means"

Dull edge
Slipping into something
And out of something else

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: March 12, 2013, 09:48:16 AM »

Dull edge

Yeah, an edge like a basketball.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: March 12, 2013, 03:48:36 PM »

Dull edge

oh sheeeeet.. good one, urth.  I listen to KFOG only at 10at10 (and very occasionally at 8 PM for Connected) and I'm starting to dislike the DJ banter with extreme prejudice.  Maybe I'm in crankypants overdrive or something, because I used to be pretty easy about it an let it slide, but now I find myself getting stressed out and angry when R is talking. 

~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: March 13, 2013, 10:01:32 AM »
I listen to KFOG only at 10at10 (and very occasionally at 8 PM for Connected) and I'm starting to dislike the DJ banter with extreme prejudice.  Maybe I'm in crankypants overdrive or something, because I used to be pretty easy about it an let it slide, but now I find myself getting stressed out and angry when R is talking.

Yep, it seems very scripted, not at all genuine or spontaneous.

Tim: "OK, Greg on the next break we need to talk about [inane topic/sponsor here] so you say blahblah, and then I'll come back with blahblahblah, OK?"

And Renee is worse.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 10:27:31 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: March 13, 2013, 10:03:18 AM »

Dull edge

oh sheeeeet.. good one, urth.  I listen to KFOG only at 10at10 (and very occasionally at 8 PM for Connected) and I'm starting to dislike the DJ banter with extreme prejudice.  Maybe I'm in crankypants overdrive or something, because I used to be pretty easy about it an let it slide, but now I find myself getting stressed out and angry when R is talking.

I agree.  I don't think she needs her own show, and especially not something like 10@10.  At least when she was on air with DC they cancelled each other out.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: March 15, 2013, 09:44:30 AM »
KFOG (and Triple-A generally) is really flogging that "Hero" song by Family of the Year. To me, it's 12 Triple-A hits of the past 18 months thrown into a blender.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: March 23, 2013, 08:47:27 PM »
The promotional spots for the mystery vacation contest always remind me
of an old joke:

First prize:  one week vacation with Renee
Second prize:  two weeks!

(I'm sure Renee would be a lovely vacation companion -- just be sure you
get to chose the music!)
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: April 01, 2013, 11:01:07 PM »
So... Yelp ratings are boring, reactionary, and stupid.  Can somebody get me KFOG's Arbitron numbers over the years?  :-}

--Darryl