Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096520 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2910 on: September 13, 2012, 09:53:51 PM »
I'm confused as to the wording of this in the KFOG email

KFOG is turning 30 this year!  We're celebrating by playing 30 years of music in 30 hours, starting Friday at 5PM.  We'll also feature the return of M. Dung's Idiot Show on Saturday at 6PM!

Archival M. Dung, or new M. Dung?

I'm guessing new, since the promos have said there'll be "former KFOG deejays" (plural) and other than Dave Morey, who I assume will also appear, everyone else "former" is working for the competition!  Guess that article about him in the Chron (?) was a good idea. And there were all those "bring back Dung" comments during the Twitch debacle.

so this thing kicks off tomo'w at 5pm:

"Friday: 5PM: After 'Weekend Salute' Dave Morey introduces the first song played on KFOG, 'Rock The Town' and we'll finish out the hour with music from 1982."

And then each hour will feature one of the subsequent years, '83-'12.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: September 14, 2012, 05:13:20 AM »
I'm confused as to the wording of this in the KFOG email

KFOG is turning 30 this year!  We're celebrating by playing 30 years of music in 30 hours, starting Friday at 5PM.  We'll also feature the return of M. Dung's Idiot Show on Saturday at 6PM!

Archival M. Dung, or new M. Dung?

I'm guessing new, since the promos have said there'll be "former KFOG deejays" (plural) and other than Dave Morey, who I assume will also appear, everyone else "former" is working for the competition!  Guess that article about him in the Chron (?) was a good idea. And there were all those "bring back Dung" comments during the Twitch debacle.

so this thing kicks off tomo'w at 5pm:

"Friday: 5PM: After 'Weekend Salute' Dave Morey introduces the first song played on KFOG, 'Rock The Town' and we'll finish out the hour with music from 1982."

And then each hour will feature one of the subsequent years, '83-'12.

As our good friend DC puts it, "It'll be like 10@10 for 30 hours".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: September 14, 2012, 06:40:22 PM »
Gotta say, the Psychedelic Psupper is Pslammin!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: September 15, 2012, 07:23:35 PM »
Well, I got in trouble on FB for this, but M Dung is... an acquired taste.  The music was great, but his shtick is pretty limited (and I say that as a fan of guys like Wolfman Jack and Cousin Brucie). At least he didn't scream "O-DAY!!" 87 times. I get that he's something of a parody of a '50s deejay, but he's a fairly amateurish one to my ears. Not alot of depth. Sorry.

That said, it would not surprise me if DC gives him a Sat nite slot -- an hour or 2 to do his thing (with an approved playlist of course).

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: September 15, 2012, 10:06:46 PM »
Hey all - got Dave's very short segment from yesterday:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zd7v2f6sk3o77q7/Dave%20Morey%20on%20KFOG%27s%20Format%20Switch%20in%201982.mp3

Working on getting Psychadelic Psupper cut and posted.  I didn't hear the whole thing, but the first couple of tracks definitely rocked.  But duh, Janis.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: September 15, 2012, 10:07:15 PM »
Did anybody here happen to record M. Dung?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: September 16, 2012, 10:56:44 AM »
Big bad news: AL leaving KFOG; Renee takes over middays.  :'(

Maybe it'll be Webster and Annalisa in the morning on K-FOX?

ETA: no sooner did I type that than I saw a comment on Rich Lieberman's blog post about the Greg Kihn firing that says AL is indeed taking over mornings at K-Fox.  Unconfirmed but sounds like it makes sense.

ETA2:  apparently we'll be getting 2 weeks of "vintage" Dave Morey 10@10s as a 30th Anniversary bonus, before Renee, DC and Icky take over 10@10 full-time.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 11:40:08 AM by RGMike »

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #2917 on: September 16, 2012, 03:48:05 PM »

ETA: no sooner did I type that than I saw a comment on Rich Lieberman's blog post about the Greg Kihn firing that says AL is indeed taking over mornings at K-Fox.  Unconfirmed but sounds like it makes sense.

ETA2:  apparently we'll be getting 2 weeks of "vintage" Dave Morey 10@10s as a 30th Anniversary bonus, before Renee, DC and Icky take over 10@10 full-time.
Icky?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: September 16, 2012, 04:54:04 PM »

Icky?

oy, must we explain everything?  ;)

He's formerly of Alice and has (at least temporarily) replaced Melanie on the Morning Show..

Interestingly, I just noticed that the (anonymous) comment on Rich Lieberman's blog post I referenced above was made Friday night just after 6pm. So clearly it was made by somebody who knew something. Sorry I didn't see it sooner.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #2919 on: September 16, 2012, 06:57:28 PM »

Icky?

oy, must we explain everything?  ;)

He's formerly of Alice and has (at least temporarily) replaced Melanie on the Morning Show..

Interestingly, I just noticed that the (anonymous) comment on Rich Lieberman's blog post I referenced above was made Friday night just after 6pm. So clearly it was made by somebody who knew something. Sorry I didn't see it sooner.
Sorry to be old man clueless, but of course I wouldn't know anything about Alice.  So, is this Icky supposed to have a role on 10@10?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: September 16, 2012, 11:30:00 PM »
Sorry to be old man clueless, but of course I wouldn't know anything about Alice.  So, is this Icky supposed to have a role on 10@10?

Yeah, at Acoustic Sunrise they announced that Dennis Constantine would be helping with picking the music, Renee would be hosting, and Icky would be doing the production (which they glossed as "finding the funny news clips, etc.").

I'm an occasional listener to Sarah and Vinny (and No-Name), so yeah, Icky's name was familiar -- as I recall he didn't talk a lot.  More of a boring straight man.  So uh yeah, no Irish Greg.  :-{

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: September 17, 2012, 12:12:16 AM »
By the way, lovely meeting Melissa and John today at the show.  And Annalisa!  Wah.

And of course great to see Rosalie, Renee, and Peter.  I was wondering what that young guy was doing up there with them -- has anybody actually *heard* Icky on the Morning Show?  Tim and Greg Gory are not really doing it for me.  It's like the opposite of a Twitch show.  Safe and boring.  Some might argue that was what Dave Morey & Co were, but I really miss that mix of Peter & Renee's sunniness vs Irish Greg and Dave's crankyness, but overall engaging banter.  I get that Tim and Greg Gory are *trying* to talk more intelligently, but god it really feels like they're dialing it in/trying too hard.  I especially hate that "What did you learn today" wrap up at 9:45AM, which I often hear after dropping off the kids off, etc.  So.  Lame.

In happier news, it was nice to remind Rosalie that she had actually given both boys some shout-outs on the radio after they were born.  She is so sweet.  Even after I gave her a hard time about backselling Dixie the Tiny Dog as by Peter Gabriel instead of Himmelman.  She corrected herself on the air later, and said she can't wait for Gabriel's cover, laughing.  Later she thanked me, insisting that it's far better to catch the errors and correct and laugh at them, because otherwise you take them to the grave and you can't get them back.  She was getting deep.  ;-}

ANYways, I may have posted her dedications before, but:
http://www.gladlee.com/Nkfog/Nkfog.mp3
http://www.gladlee.com/L/acousticluke.mp3
http://gladlee.com/L1/luke1year.mp3

Sniff.  (Boys are 4 and 8 now)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: September 17, 2012, 11:49:02 AM »
By the way, lovely meeting Melissa and John today at the show.  And Annalisa!  Wah.

And of course great to see Rosalie, Renee, and Peter.  I was wondering what that young guy was doing up there with them -- has anybody actually *heard* Icky on the Morning Show?  Tim and Greg Gory are not really doing it for me.  It's like the opposite of a Twitch show.  Safe and boring.  Some might argue that was what Dave Morey & Co were, but I really miss that mix of Peter & Renee's sunniness vs Irish Greg and Dave's crankyness, but overall engaging banter.  I get that Tim and Greg Gory are *trying* to talk more intelligently, but god it really feels like they're dialing it in/trying too hard.  I especially hate that "What did you learn today" wrap up at 9:45AM, which I often hear after dropping off the kids off, etc.  So.  Lame.

In happier news, it was nice to remind Rosalie that she had actually given both boys some shout-outs on the radio after they were born.  She is so sweet.  Even after I gave her a hard time about backselling Dixie the Tiny Dog as by Peter Gabriel instead of Himmelman.  She corrected herself on the air later, and said she can't wait for Gabriel's cover, laughing.  Later she thanked me, insisting that it's far better to catch the errors and correct and laugh at them, because otherwise you take them to the grave and you can't get them back.  She was getting deep.  ;-}

I  was wondering what that Peter Gabriel joke was about.  I missed the context, but happy to know it was for your benefit!

So nice meeting you, too, Darryl, and your wife and kiddoes!   I would tend to agree on on your read of the current KFOG morning show, but I'm afraid i don't have enough evidence to go on: I never really listen in the mornings.  I pass by briefly at times and it never grabs me as compelling, interesting, funny or fun.  I'd rather be informed by listening to national progressing, er public, radio or the Bone, which plays music I like better. 

The KFOG morning show's "What did we learn today" bit has been the only time I consistently hear them, too, although I've started to avoid that b/c it sounds phony and forced.  (And since10at110 is usually late to start, waiting until 10:03 or so to tune in is a safe bet.)

~CPL593H~

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: September 17, 2012, 11:34:35 PM »
Ah, right, we met you too, Tinka Cat!  Sorry, it was all of a bit of a blur.  ;-}

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: September 17, 2012, 11:43:16 PM »
Forgive me if someone else has already posted this conclusion, but it would seem that KFOX is going after the disenfranchised Fogheads that DC kicked to the curb a year ago--or at least they want to try to recreate the vibe with ex-KFOG jocks, if not their playlist. They've already picked up Big Rick, Webster and now AL. If they sign Irish Greg or steal Peter Finch from KGO, it's a lock.

I'll be curious to see what sort of a show AL does--and if they give her a chance to do a 10@10-like retro feature set-9@9 maybe?

Oh, and did someone post a link to a recording of AL's farewell from yesterday morning, or am I confusing it with one of the other clips that have been posted? I was away all weekend and trying to follow the updates via my phone so couldn't download anything til now?
Let's get right to it.