Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096524 times)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2805 on: June 14, 2012, 02:18:38 PM »
The "hmm" was indeed directed at the omission of Melanie, although I heard her in minuscule amounts this morning so who knows.  I'm honestly not sure what purpose she serves.  I get the feeling that this one really was a DC hire.  She's not that bad when she's talking about new music, though.  She might actually make a pretty good APD or MD for DC's mission.  Maybe this is what DC had in mind.  Just get her off the morning show, please.

Yeah, I was also surprised that the richliebermann people really hate everyone, especially Dred.  It's like if you're not M. Dung or Morey, then they're going to rip you to shreds.  AL and Rosalie probably get a pass because they're close enough.  More hate there than FB, but I guess it's not really PC to use your real name to post that you hate some of the generally respected DJ's.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: June 16, 2012, 03:41:54 PM »
This week KFOG's 5 heavy rotation songs (~38x) are all sung by females -- Alabama Shakes, Joan Osborne, Grace Potter, Bonnie Raitt, & the M/F duet in Of Monsters & Men.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: June 16, 2012, 04:43:36 PM »
This week KFOG's 5 heavy rotation songs (~38x) are all sung by females -- Alabama Shakes, Joan Osborne, Grace Potter, Bonnie Raitt, & the M/F duet in Of Monsters & Men.

I'm kinda surprised about the Bonnie Raitt Rafferty cover -- it struck me as one of those sops to the older demo that would never really become all that popular. It isn't even in the Triple-A Top 30 (tho' her new one has just charted).
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #2808 on: June 16, 2012, 07:51:24 PM »

I'm kinda surprised about the Bonnie Raitt Rafferty cover -- it struck me as one of those sops to the older demo that would never really become all that popular. It isn't even in the Triple-A Top 30 (tho' her new one has just charted).
consider me successfully sopped!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: June 18, 2012, 07:40:38 AM »
in the 6am hour, in the midst of the usual overplayed-ness (Adele, Sublime, Grouplove) we heard the "Here's a KFOG classic!" sounder followed by... Traffic's "40,000 Headmen". My stars! And an hour later they played the Beatles.  So is this a new DC "tweak"? the once-an-hour really old oldie?

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: June 18, 2012, 08:00:06 AM »
in the 6am hour, in the midst of the usual overplayed-ness (Adele, Sublime, Grouplove) we heard the "Here's a KFOG classic!" sounder followed by... Traffic's "40,000 Headmen". My stars! And an hour later they played the Beatles.  So is this a new DC "tweak"? the once-an-hour really old oldie?

Talking golf on the morning show!  Sweet!  *High fives the older demographic*

Tony never would do that! Nahnah!   although GG got Webb Simpson's nationality wrong. 
~CPL593H~

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: June 18, 2012, 10:01:26 AM »
Today they talked about the color of golfers' pants.  ::)

Oh well, at least Tim Jeffreys's voice is less boring than Webster's.

Melanie now seems to be exclusively doing "The Scoop," music and entertainment news.  Has my wish been granted?  :o

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: June 18, 2012, 10:12:05 AM »

Melanie now seems to be exclusively doing "The Scoop," music and entertainment news.  Has my wish been granted?  :o

Melanie definitely has had her appearances scaled WAAAAY back.  And the pace is surely a lot faster than it was in the Webster/Irish Greg days.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: June 18, 2012, 01:57:30 PM »

heh... yeah, pretty light stuff.  It's weird how I suddenly miss Webster and The Other Greg.  If only NPR played a few great songs each hour.
~CPL593H~

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: June 18, 2012, 02:11:43 PM »

Well, the golf thing, while not in, or anywhere near my alley, is at least SF-topical. I'm willing to give it a pass, if grudgingly. And yeah, Melanie is scoop-worthy, I suppose!  :o

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: June 18, 2012, 02:53:36 PM »

Well, the golf thing, while not in, or anywhere near my alley, is at least SF-topical. I'm willing to give it a pass, if grudgingly. And yeah, Melanie is scoop-worthy, I suppose!  :o

yes, no problem there.  The US Open was *really* local, like go down that street and take a left and you'll be there. 

I was in a bar on Clement yesterday and they had the golf on one TV and the giants game was on the other. They turned off the golf and put the Giants on both TVs. 

I was like "Hey, how come you turned off the golf?"

"There were more request for baseball...," said the bartendress, who obviously hated golf, but blamed the yuppies who came in from their motorcylce ride down to Alice's Restaurant in Woodside.

"Huh.. No one asked me..."  I said under my breath, b/c you know, stranger in a strange bar. 

It was a VERY local event on a very global stage.   These hipster-meatheads should have been ALL OVER IT.  Instead they chose to watch the Giants choke on all the available TVs in the bar, as well as listening to Kruk and Kuip call the game over the bar's speakers..

When Kuip said "Yeah, that was a tough way to lose a ballgame," I thought of all those *good* ways you could lose a ballgame. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 02:55:12 PM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: June 19, 2012, 10:09:17 AM »
Just before 10@10 they played this just AWFUL J. Mraz tune.  Yuck!
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: June 19, 2012, 10:21:32 AM »

ha -- it's actually one of his less-annoying ones (which isn't saying much).

BTW, Gory said tomorrow they'll be discussing a controversial new Sports bar in SF -- anybody have a clue what he's talking about? A gay sports bar, maybe? There's already a Hooters at Fisherman's Wharf, so that would be old news.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: June 19, 2012, 10:40:51 AM »

ha -- it's actually one of his less-annoying ones (which isn't saying much).

BTW, Gory said tomorrow they'll be discussing a controversial new Sports bar in SF -- anybody have a clue what he's talking about? A gay sports bar, maybe? There's already a Hooters at Fisherman's Wharf, so that would be old news.

Old news, indeed:

http://sfist.com/2011/12/12/hooters_sf_closing_down.php

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: June 19, 2012, 10:45:15 AM »

I actually kinda like it.  First song by him that doesn't annoy me since "You & I Both" back in 2003.