Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096598 times)

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2655 on: February 24, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »
The Dead live. And on DC's watch no less. He and Renee played a request for Estimated Prophet as their last song tonight.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #2656 on: February 24, 2012, 10:26:04 PM »
The Dead live. And on DC's watch no less. He and Renee played a request for Estimated Prophet as their last song tonight.
Heaven forbid!  And a song in 7/4 no less!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: February 26, 2012, 07:21:35 PM »
it's another Request-O-Rama-O-Rama on the Morning Show (Oscar/movie trivia); got off to an inauspicious start when Irish Greg screwed up the first question: "Kristin Wiig is nominated for Best Screenplay this year... who is the ONLY OTHER SNL CAST MEMBER to be Oscar-nommed?" Greg, who got the answer from some crappy website,  said it was Joan Cusack, but the first caller said (correctly) that Bill Murray's been nominated. Ooops.

OMFG -- per the Oscars' announcer, NINE former SNL cast memberes have been nominated over the years. 
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: February 29, 2012, 08:24:17 AM »
A minor point, perhaps, but when they play that "Today's KFOG -- it sounds like THIS!" sounder... shouldn't they follow it with something from, er, TODAY? And not a 15-year-old Sister Hazel song?

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: February 29, 2012, 09:08:39 AM »
A minor point, perhaps, but when they play that "Today's KFOG -- it sounds like THIS!" sounder... shouldn't they follow it with something from, er, TODAY? And not a 15-year-old Sister Hazel song?

While I understand what the promo is getting at, Sister Hazel, at least "All For You", shouldn't be played at all. Damn did 1997 have some really awful stuff.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: February 29, 2012, 09:23:39 AM »

While I understand what the promo is getting at, Sister Hazel, at least "All For You", shouldn't be played at all. Damn did 1997 have some really awful stuff.

oh my yes.  I remember emailing KFOG's then-PD (forget his name) to ask why they needed to play every Hootie clone that came down the pike (Sis Hazel was one; Matchbox 20 also started out as one, before Rob T discovered his inner Cher; there were others).  I got a snotty reply telling me I was being... too snotty.

They've followed that promo with stuff even older than "All For You" on occasion.

"Today's KFOG -- we don't play 'Sweet Home Alabama' any more!"
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:26:53 AM by RGMike »

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: February 29, 2012, 09:31:09 AM »

oh my yes.  I remember emailing KFOG's then-PD (forget his name) to ask why they needed to play every Hootie clone that came down the pike (Sis Hazel was one; Matchbox 20 also started out as one, before Rob T discovered his inner Cher; there were others).  I got a snotty reply telling me I was being... too snotty.

They've followed that promo with stuff even older than "All For You" on occasion.

"Today's KFOG -- we don't play 'Sweet Home Alabama' any more!"

"Today's KFOG: For those of you who missed 1997's Alice"

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: February 29, 2012, 04:28:09 PM »

I remember thinking "Champagne High" was pretty awesome.  "Happy" wasn't horrible either.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: February 29, 2012, 09:09:09 PM »

I remember thinking "Champagne High" was pretty awesome.  "Happy" wasn't horrible either.

Their second biggest hit, "Change Your Mind" was vastly superior as well. But "All For You" has long been a station-changer.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: March 01, 2012, 11:14:30 PM »
On the topic of washed-up 90s bands...now playing: "Sympathy" by Goo Goo Dolls.  I don't think I've heard this one since it was current.

I just checked their CHR history.  This one didn't make it:
http://wweb.uta.edu/faculty/gghunt/charts/googoodolls.html

But that's an odd distribution.  13 total top 50's, with three #1's yet no other Top 10's.  Then six top 50's that didn't make it above #40.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: March 02, 2012, 07:57:49 AM »
On the topic of washed-up 90s bands...now playing: "Sympathy" by Goo Goo Dolls.  I don't think I've heard this one since it was current.

But that's an odd distribution.  13 total top 50's, with three #1's yet no other Top 10's.  Then six top 50's that didn't make it above #40.

That guy is slower to update his website than Bud Selig's study of where to move the Oakland A's.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: March 02, 2012, 10:03:36 AM »

That guy is slower to update his website than Bud Selig's study of where to move the Oakland A's.

Nah, he keeps it pretty current for most songs (despite the front page saying the last "update" was in 06.)  He just doesn't usually add them until they've fallen off.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: March 02, 2012, 11:22:37 AM »

Nah, he keeps it pretty current for most songs (despite the front page saying the last "update" was in 06.)  He just doesn't usually add them until they've fallen off.

I've been backlogging earlier hits to re-create earlier charts. He's been stuck on Sting's "Russians" for about a month now. It's also kind of frustrating to see all the duplications - i.e. two songs being #27 for the same week, links going to the wrong song, etc.

I guess it's all about priorities!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: March 05, 2012, 01:44:59 PM »
I don't remember who (or in which thread) said that Luke Crampton is 27 but I'm guessing they were kidding -- all the Googling I did shows him to be a guy who's been around the music biz for decades. Did I miss a smiley face on that post?

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: March 05, 2012, 02:43:29 PM »
I don't remember who (or in which thread) said that Luke Crampton is 27 but I'm guessing they were kidding -- all the Googling I did shows him to be a guy who's been around the music biz for decades. Did I miss a smiley face on that post?

That was me.   :-X   I heard him say he was 27 on air, though it's quite possible that he was being facetious & I didn't realize.