Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096699 times)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2595 on: January 20, 2012, 11:29:51 AM »
BTW, one of the Niners tix winners on KFOG's 9 O'Clock Pop Quiz was a woman named Katrina.

She must have been walkin' on sunshine after that win.

http://instantrimshot.com
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: January 20, 2012, 11:41:12 AM »
Granted, I've never "gotten" the love for Florence and the Machine but jeezus: anybody who uses the phrase "it's always darkest before the dawn" in a pop song in 2012 is undeserving of any accolades. I mean... seriously, Florence? That's just goddamn lazy.

Meanwhile -- KFOG will be simulcasting the Niners game on Sunday along with KNBR and The Bone? WTF?

Yeah, that is a headscratcher. 

I understand the studios share same owners, have the same studio space, etc....  so I guess they paid a little extra to extend the game broadcast down the dial a bit.. because even Katrina-loving KOFGgers will run-Run-RUN  to listen to the game on the radio b/c they cannot live a day without KFOG?   

BTW, one of the Niners tix winners on KFOG's 9 O'Clock Pop Quiz was a woman named Katrina.

*Cue eerie Theramin sound*  ooooooooo-weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-ooooooooo!

BTW, earlier in the week they had promoted today as a Request-O-Rama-O-Rama with Niners trivia questions -- did anyone hear any of that? R-O-R is no longer a daily feature; R-O-R-O-R comes up on special occasions, and I'm wondering what kind of requests are being made when it does.  The "old" KFOG audience used to come up with some smart rarities along with the occasional clunker ("could I hear some Dave matthews? You guys NEVER play him!"). But i shudder to think what the current listeners might want to hear.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: January 20, 2012, 12:03:50 PM »
Granted, I've never "gotten" the love for Florence and the Machine but jeezus: anybody who uses the phrase "it's always darkest before the dawn" in a pop song in 2012 is undeserving of any accolades. I mean... seriously, Florence? That's just goddamn lazy.

Meanwhile -- KFOG will be simulcasting the Niners game on Sunday along with KNBR and The Bone? WTF?

Yeah, that is a headscratcher. 

I understand the studios share same owners, have the same studio space, etc....  so I guess they paid a little extra to extend the game broadcast down the dial a bit.. because even Katrina-loving KOFGgers will run-Run-RUN  to listen to the game on the radio b/c they cannot live a day without KFOG?   

*Cue eerie Theramin sound*  ooooooooo-weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-ooooooooo!

BTW, earlier in the week they had promoted today as a Request-O-Rama-O-Rama with Niners trivia questions -- did anyone hear any of that? R-O-R is no longer a daily feature; R-O-R-O-R comes up on special occasions, and I'm wondering what kind of requests are being made when it does.  The "old" KFOG audience used to come up with some smart rarities along with the occasional clunker ("could I hear some Dave matthews? You guys NEVER play him!"). But i shudder to think what the current listeners might want to hear.

Florence & The Machine. Duh  :P

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: January 20, 2012, 01:21:03 PM »

Maybe it's to give South Bay (future home of the 49ers) access to a better signal.  They do have the South Bay 97.7 available.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: January 20, 2012, 03:11:04 PM »

Maybe it's to give South Bay (future home of the 49ers) access to a better signal.  They do have the South Bay 97.7 available.

that makes sense, altho' KNBR can be heard all the way to Monterey, I would think.  I guess they don't want people listening on the Bone and then forgetting to switch back to KFOG -- they might wake up Monday morning and discover that they just LOVE Lamont & Tonelli!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: January 21, 2012, 06:45:30 PM »

that makes sense, altho' KNBR can be heard all the way to Monterey, I would think.  I guess they don't want people listening on the Bone and then forgetting to switch back to KFOG -- they might wake up Monday morning and discover that they just LOVE Lamont & Tonelli!

Turns out the entire 6-station Cumulus "cluster" is airing the game -- KNBR, KGO, KSFO, 1050 "The Ticket", The Bone and KFOG.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: January 21, 2012, 07:03:37 PM »
Awesome.  I'll be listening to KFOG at work on my little radio.  I also have permission to wear my Niners gear tomorrow.  My boss is a Raiders fan, so it's nice of him.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: January 21, 2012, 07:25:02 PM »
Awesome.  I'll be listening to KFOG at work on my little radio.  I also have permission to wear my Niners gear tomorrow.  My boss is a Raiders fan, so it's nice of him.

I hear Rosalie does a helluva play-by-play.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: January 23, 2012, 11:23:51 AM »
Just heard a new station id/promo:

Kfog, always on, and just a little bit off.

Which they ripped off from IFC!
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #2604 on: January 23, 2012, 11:25:37 AM »

I hear Rosalie does a helluva play-by-play.
I was stuck in a bar at Anaheim airport for first half, and the stream didn't have the game!  Missed the whole second half whilst on the plane, circling around due to bad weather.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: January 24, 2012, 09:59:35 AM »
I can't believe there's a band called Dale Earnhardt Junior Junior -- and that he hasn't sued them .  (per Wiki he's a fan!)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: January 24, 2012, 10:21:50 AM »
I can't believe there's a band called Dale Earnhardt Junior Junior -- and that he hasn't sued them .  (per Wiki he's a fan!)

they sprung from his undercarriage.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: January 24, 2012, 09:28:15 PM »
They played the new Jazn Mrazzzzz this morning -- Webster says it debuted at #8 in Billboard this week (!).  I must admit it didn't sound like Mr A-Z. Which doesn't mean I won't hate it after hearing it a few more times.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: January 27, 2012, 09:39:17 AM »
they're playing songs from both the new Macca "standards" album AND the new Ringo (when was the last time radio played anything new by him?). Wait: here's the Ringo. It's actually not bad -- a remake of his ill-fated "Wings" from the '70s. But again, I can't get a handle on what demo they're aiming for -- do thirtysomething soccer moms care about Macca, Ringo and Paul Simon?

OK, so that was 2 weeks ago...and I don't think either song has been played again since.  ::)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: January 29, 2012, 10:57:15 AM »
10@10 isn't the only specialty program that's become more mainstream.  I'm listening to acoustic sunrise and we're currently up to five radio singles in a row (some more overplayed than others):

Green Day - Time of Your Life
Jakob Dylan - Nothing but the Whole Wide World
Jason Mraz - I Won't Give Up
Simon & Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence
Wilco - What Light
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 10:58:54 AM by radical347 »