Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096568 times)

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2400 on: October 11, 2011, 08:38:45 PM »
Tonight's Connected is about MONEY.  Someone better request the B-52's "Legal Tender"...and quick!  Perfect song.  For Noah and the Whale tix.  (Who?)

Requested "Legal Tender."

Holee crap!  It's on right now!  "Walked into the bank, tried to pass that trash..."

The Brains - "Money Changes Everything"
Monty Python - "The Money Song"
10cc - "Wall Street Shuffle"
B-52's - "Legal Tender" 

....and a Swellegant shout-out from Dred!  I was wondering how you pronounced your surname.

I guess I owe you one!
I just had a feeling, ya know?   :)

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: October 12, 2011, 02:22:49 PM »
Dred sez: things are tough all over, so we're going to provide some creative relief. Tonight at 8 pm on KFOG Connected, our connection will be... HARD TIMES (for Noah and the Whale tix again).  

RG's Simply Red suggestion from yesterday could work again today!  The one that comes to my mind is The Message by Grandmaster Flash. 

« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 02:27:46 PM by sundaygal »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: October 12, 2011, 03:09:28 PM »
Dred sez: things are tough all over, so we're going to provide some creative relief. Tonight at 8 pm on KFOG Connected, our connection will be... HARD TIMES (for Noah and the Whale tix again). 

RG's Simply Red suggestion from yesterday could work again today!  The one that comes to my mind is The Message by Grandmaster Flash. 

countdown to someone suggesting the Kinks' "Low Budget" in 3... 2...

Some Gil Scott-Heron song would surely fit in. A rat done bit mah sistah Nell!

James McMurtry's "We Can't Make it Here Anymore" would be good.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 03:19:05 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: October 12, 2011, 03:26:59 PM »

"The Lemon Song"!  (NO -- that's just wrong.)

Derek and the Dominos, "Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out".
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: October 12, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
"Ends", Everlast

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: October 12, 2011, 08:17:32 PM »

"The Lemon Song"!  (NO -- that's just wrong.)

Derek and the Dominos, "Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out".
Ray Charles, Kinks, Billy Bragg, Dylan.  The Billy Bragg was the listener's choice, which was NTM and wasn't "Greetings to the New Brunette" or "Sexuality" - the only BB songs I think I know besides the Wilco collab. stuff.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: October 13, 2011, 07:55:10 AM »
Clearly we're not the only ones who gripe about playlist-oriented '90s sets. On the Peak's FB page after their 1993 10@10 yesterday (see the Peak thread for my orig comments), this Peak-head said:

"Not to be a Debbie Downer, but did we really need to hear these songs again? It's bad enough that most commercial radio stations force us to listen to the same 7 CURRENT songs over and over, so why go back to years past and single out the tracks that have been beaten to death over the years. The Lemonheads, John Mellencamp, and Soul Asylum were good choices, because those tracks have not received a lot of recurring airplay. But the rest of these...even the songs I like...I really have no need to hear on the radio again. I'd love to be able to program my own 10@10 from any year in the 90's."
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 07:58:18 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: October 13, 2011, 09:58:42 AM »
I really do like this Fleet Foxes tune -- it's Simon & Garfunkel -meets- "Life in a  Northern Town", sorta/kinda.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: October 15, 2011, 09:28:34 AM »
One of the problems with having 17 Feist-alikes on your playlist is you end up playing 3 of them in the same half-hour (!): Sara Paralysis, Feist and Yael Naïm all got spun between 9 and 9:30 this morning. "True Variety!" LOL!

But I really have taken an instant dislike to Mat Franti-Kearney's "Hey Mama".  And T.Heads' "Wild Wild Life" is the new "Rocket Man".
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 09:44:30 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: October 15, 2011, 05:30:17 PM »
Call me crazy, but doesn't Adele's "Someone Like You", melody-wise, sound like a mash-up of 4 or 5 Coldplay songs?

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: October 15, 2011, 05:57:43 PM »
Call me crazy, but doesn't Adele's "Someone Like You", melody-wise, sound like a mash-up of 4 or 5 Coldplay songs?

Watch out...they're gonna take your card away for hatin' on Adele!   ;)
Eh, not a fan, either.  Girlfriend ain't no Alison Moyet! 

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: October 15, 2011, 07:20:45 PM »
Per Rosalie and KFOG's FB page, it would appear that DM is visiting the Bay Area this weekend, as he inducted his bud Kim Wonderley to the BARHOF in Berkeley today. And AL did the same for Rosalie. 
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: October 15, 2011, 08:42:28 PM »
Per Rosalie and KFOG's FB page, it would appear that DM is visiting the Bay Area this weekend, as he inducted his bud Kim Wonderley to the BARHOF in Berkeley today. And AL did the same for Rosalie. 

so, he didn't show up for his own induction, but came to induct Kim -- who left KFOG on less-than-friendly terms. Yeah, that's Dave all right. ;)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: October 15, 2011, 10:25:54 PM »

so, he didn't show up for his own induction, but came to induct Kim -- who left KFOG on less-than-friendly terms. Yeah, that's Dave all right. ;)

That was kinda my thought too. Couldn't make the trip when there was a fuss being made about him, but he comes out for a friend. I guess he really does hate being the center of attention.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: October 16, 2011, 11:26:08 AM »
The long-awaited Ben Fong-Torres analysis of the "new" KFOG is in today's Chron:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/10/16/PK061LDQVD.DTL

Gratifyingly, he comes at it from the perspective of Fogheads who are perplexed/annoyed by some of the changes.  The comments section is worth reading too.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 11:29:06 AM by RGMike »