Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096615 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2325 on: September 22, 2011, 08:35:54 AM »
They just played Tony Bennet's new duet w Amy Winehouse, Body and Soul.

Of course, the on-air staff has to do qualify it both as a real exception to the rule and yet hold it up as an example of a diverse playlist.  Webster says "Not something you normally hear on KFOG. What did you think, Peter?"

"I ...  liked it, good to hear. Not sure we'll be playing it all that often, though."

Greg simply said "I liked it. It's good."

She sounds a lot like Billie Holiday on the track.  what's not to like?
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: September 22, 2011, 03:09:43 PM »
apparently KFOG has finally decided to add Superheavy, the Jagger/Marley/Stone/etc collab. Only about 2 months behind every other Triple-A in the country.   ;)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 03:12:04 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: September 22, 2011, 06:29:33 PM »
apparently KFOG has finally decided to add Superheavy, the Jagger/Marley/Stone/etc collab. Only about 2 months behind every other Triple-A in the country.   ;)

Have they officially?  I know they're playing it today because it's New Music Thursday, but I don't see it in their regular playlist.  This is one new song that I don't mind not hearing, though.  It doesn't look like it ever got significant play on more than half of the AAA stations, to boot...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: September 22, 2011, 08:20:34 PM »

Have they officially?  I know they're playing it today because it's New Music Thursday, but I don't see it in their regular playlist.  This is one new song that I don't mind not hearing, though.  It doesn't look like it ever got significant play on more than half of the AAA stations, to boot...

Well, as far as I can tell today was the first time they played it (and they did a FB posting about it), and I know it was getting played on stations like the Peak and WEHM, and it seemed to be doing well on the Triple_A chart a month ago. I've heard it a couple times and it's not bad; woulda been right up KFOG's alley a year ago.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: September 22, 2011, 09:25:47 PM »
check THIS out: posted on the radio-info board regarding the Cumulus/Citadel merger...

VP/Programming Mike McVay led a conference call late this afternoon with more than 500 Cumulus managers and programmers on the line, and outlined the systems being put in place for "the new Cumulus."

Music programming will come from a suggested list. The degree to which programmers can deviate depends on their "designated leeway," which will presumably be based primarily on market size.

All contracts with programming consultants will be severed immediately.

Programmers will have to make "good arguments" if they choose not to carry Citadel Media-supplied programming.

Format Managers will be appointed, and programmers are being encouraged to apply for those posts.

All communications with trade publications will come from Atlanta; individual employees are not permitted to talk to the trades.

A dress code has been implemented: no blue jeans, flip-flops, piercings or exposed tattoos.

:o  :o  :o

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: September 22, 2011, 10:34:57 PM »
apparently KFOG has finally decided to add Superheavy, the Jagger/Marley/Stone/etc collab. Only about 2 months behind every other Triple-A in the country.   ;)

Have they officially?  I know they're playing it today because it's New Music Thursday, but I don't see it in their regular playlist.  This is one new song that I don't mind not hearing, though.  It doesn't look like it ever got significant play on more than half of the AAA stations, to boot...

Well, as far as I can tell today was the first time they played it (and they did a FB posting about it), and I know it was getting played on stations like the Peak and WEHM, and it seemed to be doing well on the Triple_A chart a month ago. I've heard it a couple times and it's not bad; woulda been right up KFOG's alley a year ago.

They've played it a few times on previous new music Thursdays.  IIRC it got into the 20-25 range, maybe 15-20, so it probably still would not have been up KFOG's alley a year ago because that was when they only added songs that reached the Top 5  (Although, it's possible that it might have been their one-song-per-year that made it, like Pete Yorn "Last Summer") ;)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 10:38:36 PM by radical347 »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: September 22, 2011, 11:47:14 PM »
check THIS out: posted on the radio-info board regarding the Cumulus/Citadel merger...

VP/Programming Mike McVay led a conference call late this afternoon with more than 500 Cumulus managers and programmers on the line, and outlined the systems being put in place for "the new Cumulus."

Music programming will come from a suggested list. The degree to which programmers can deviate depends on their "designated leeway," which will presumably be based primarily on market size.

Programmers will have to make "good arguments" if they choose not to carry Citadel Media-supplied programming.

Format Managers will be appointed, and programmers are being encouraged to apply for those posts.

All communications with trade publications will come from Atlanta; individual employees are not permitted to talk to the trades.

A dress code has been implemented: no blue jeans, flip-flops, piercings or exposed tattoos.

Welcome to the machine.
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: September 23, 2011, 09:33:33 AM »

Welcome to the machine.

Flip-flop free radio!  It's about time.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: September 23, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »

bwahahaha! I just HATE having to listen to deejays with piercings and tats.

But seriously, I wonder how much "designated leeway" DC will have, muscially -- sounds like he's been doing pre-emptive micro-managing to me.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: September 23, 2011, 09:48:40 AM »

But seriously, I wonder how much "designated leeway" DC will have, muscially -- sounds like he's been doing pre-emptive micro-managing to me.

Being as he's in SF (which is what, the #3 market?) I'd assume he'd have more than most. But given what we've gotten from him so far, I can't say that's going to help much.
Let's get right to it.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: September 23, 2011, 11:16:49 AM »
apparently KFOG has finally decided to add Superheavy, the Jagger/Marley/Stone/etc collab. Only about 2 months behind every other Triple-A in the country.   ;)

Have they officially?  I know they're playing it today because it's New Music Thursday, but I don't see it in their regular playlist.  This is one new song that I don't mind not hearing, though.  It doesn't look like it ever got significant play on more than half of the AAA stations, to boot...

They've played it a few times on previous new music Thursdays.  IIRC it got into the 20-25 range, maybe 15-20, so it probably still would not have been up KFOG's alley a year ago because that was when they only added songs that reached the Top 5  (Although, it's possible that it might have been their one-song-per-year that made it, like Pete Yorn "Last Summer") ;)

My data (increasingly suspect, as KFOG's "now playing" widgets are not so reliable) confirms that it's been confined to the New Music Thursday ghetto except for a few Saturdays spins on 8/20 and 9/3. Perhaps they're a little looser with the playlist on the weekends when ratings are already low.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: September 23, 2011, 01:05:13 PM »

Being as he's in SF (which is what, the #3 market?) I'd assume he'd have more than most. But given what we've gotten from him so far, I can't say that's going to help much.

Ehh...I think DC has made KFOG (not counting 10 at 10, sadly) is as awesome as it's ever been, at least in recent years.  I want to say that for the most part DC knows what he's doing.  He is familiar with how these companies work.  Some "pre-emptive micro-managing" may not be bad if it prevents Cumulus from noticing too much and laying on the big stick later.

He is capable of making the station sound good.  Remember when we were all gobsmacked on a daily basis?  I can't imagine someone throwing in Nils Lofgren or Jonah Kormakouen (sp?) just to pat us on the head.  We're still hearing a bunch of "different" songs, they're just newer.  (The Moodswings/Chrissie Hynde song still makes the occasional appearance, for instance.) & Lost & Found was a pretty awesome choice to replace the dead horse formerly known as the side show.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: September 23, 2011, 02:07:13 PM »
In honor of the Folsom Street Fair, Dred is doing "Whips and Leather" for tonight's connected.

By the way, an artist that Swellegant requests during 1996 years (Billie Ray Martin) is going to be one of this year's performers...

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: September 24, 2011, 07:14:53 PM »
In honor of the Folsom Street Fair, Dred is doing "Whips and Leather" for tonight's connected.

By the way, an artist that Swellegant requests during 1996 years (Billie Ray Martin) is going to be one of this year's performers...

Maybe DC will hear her perform and order AL to make BRM to be a Katrina from here on out!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: September 26, 2011, 08:47:26 AM »
heard a little of Lost and Found last night and this 70s pop nugget caught my ear.  The notes are accurate: "...(dated) melodic pop-rock."  some here will def diggit!

Song: Give Me What I Cry For
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV-wQzDOtIk

Artist: Chris Rainbow, Scotland
http://www.myspace.com/chrisrainbow

Album: The Anthology 1974 - 1981, 2001

Notes: Overly dramatic but extremely harmonic and most rewarding pop gem from ultra-melodic '70s singer-songwriter/keyboardist - who was also frequent lead singer with the unfashionable Alan Parsons Project in the '80s. Great anthology if you like this kind of (dated) melodic pop-rock.

~CPL593H~