Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096609 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2220 on: August 08, 2011, 07:05:10 PM »
Btw, I still believe that any retraction of the current format adjustments will come not as a result of audience complaints, but from a drop in Arbitron ratings. It may take a couple of months, but if KFOG's numbers drop and stay down, I would not be surprised to see a return to form. Here's hoping anyway.  We should see July numbers before too long.

Well, that didn't take long at all. I just saw the July numbers via a newsletter I get called All Access, and KFOG's overall numbers for July went up to 2.5 from the 2.2 they posted in June, and they jumped from #18 overall to #15. And now they're right behind KUFX instead of 3 spots below, which they were in June. So at least initially, the numbers are supporting DC's change of course. However, these are summer numbers, which some people put less stock in since lots of folks are on vacation. And they cover all listeners 6 years of age and up, rather than the coveted 18-34 demographic.

Here's a link to the page where I got my data. You may have to register and log in to see it, but there's no cost and I don't get bombarded with ads or newsletters I didn't ask for.
http://www.allaccess.com/arbitron#4
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: August 08, 2011, 08:21:12 PM »
Btw, I still believe that any retraction of the current format adjustments will come not as a result of audience complaints, but from a drop in Arbitron ratings. It may take a couple of months, but if KFOG's numbers drop and stay down, I would not be surprised to see a return to form. Here's hoping anyway.  We should see July numbers before too long.

Well, that didn't take long at all. I just saw the July numbers via a newsletter I get called All Access, and KFOG's overall numbers for July went up to 2.5 from the 2.2 they posted in June, and they jumped from #18 overall to #15. And now they're right behind KUFX instead of 3 spots below, which they were in June. So at least initially, the numbers are supporting DC's change of course. However, these are summer numbers, which some people put less stock in since lots of folks are on vacation. And they cover all listeners 6 years of age and up, rather than the coveted 18-34 demographic.

I wouldn't put too much stock into this; it takes a while for (regular, non-radio-geek) people to notice changes like this. Believe me, nobody is texting their friends with "Yo! they just did 2001 on 10@10!". And they've done no advertising about it. But the fact that they're (over-)playing some songs that happen to be Top 40 hits (Matt Nathanson, Adele) might be helping them with the people-meters.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: August 09, 2011, 01:28:05 AM »

I wouldn't put too much stock into this; it takes a while for (regular, non-radio-geek) people to notice changes like this. Believe me, nobody is texting their friends with "Yo! they just did 2001 on 10@10!". And they've done no advertising about it. But the fact that they're (over-)playing some songs that happen to be Top 40 hits (Matt Nathanson, Adele) might be helping them with the people-meters.

Kinda.  I'd think that a large # of people are so clueless that they don't even know what stations are which format, so they just keep on flipping until they find a song they like.  So if KFOG (or any other station) suddenly starts playing more songs they like, then they're going to listen more, and it will help with ratings, despite the fact that they're still probably not going to know what station they heard it on.  But, I agree that it's too soon to tell whether or not this means anything -- a single monthyl change of 0.3 is pretty insignificant and still within the margin of error (despite what people on radio-info would tell you).  Unless it keeps on going +0.3 for months in a row, of course.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: August 09, 2011, 08:35:43 PM »
Everyone knows that they've been spinning the hell out of the Talking Heads in general, but one song in particular -- "This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody): --so much that you'd think it was a re-release or something.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: August 10, 2011, 01:12:44 PM »
Here's a copy of the email DC sent to a listener who wrote in: (copied from FB)

"I understand your frustration about the decision to eliminate the 10@10 Marathon. This was a decision that was made with a lot of consideration and deliberation. My job as program director is to keep KFOG healthy. KFOG’s weekend ratings are the lowest ratings on the station. I need to be proactive about fixing the problem.

We are currently opening up the KFOG library to play a wider variety and styles of music. The regular music mix has got to be what draws listeners in. It’s like a restaurant that serves an amazing dessert. If people only come in for the dessert and don’t also order dinner, the restaurant would go out of business. Our main course has got to be the attraction.

Thanks for writing. I sincerely hope that you will give us another chance."

On that thread, I extended the already poor analogy:
Quote from: me
DC: The 10@10 Marathon and Acoustic Sunrise are the delicious weekend brunches you serve to your loyal customers. Maybe the restaurant isn't always packed, but these customers are there every Saturday and Sunday morning. And when you drop brunch and only decide to serve burgers and fries during that time? Welp, let's see how your business does during that same timeslot.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=255381541156755&id=107995802561997&notif_t=like

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: August 10, 2011, 01:14:25 PM »
Re: FB "petitions" and the like.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring-back-the-KFOG-1010-Marathon/232878156753290

Psh, 51 people? Constantine can easily write those people off if it means more folks with People-Meters will keep it on KFOG when they hear Matt Nathanson and Adele for the umpteenth time on their way to Saturday morning's soccer game.

(And again, I'd like to say for the record that I really like Matt Nathanson and Adele.)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: August 10, 2011, 06:20:28 PM »
someone on FB dug up this puff piece interview with DC from the Peninsula Press Club.  Keep in mind it's from May, when he was still adding Jorma Kaukonen to the rotation and trumpeting "Music Hand-Picked By Humans":

http://sfppc.blogspot.com/2011/05/new-kfog-pd-keeps-human-element-in.html

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: August 10, 2011, 06:32:40 PM »
someone on FB dug up this puff piece interview with DC from the Peninsula Press Club.  Keep in mind it's from May, when he was still adding Jorma Kaukonen to the rotation and trumpeting "Music Hand-Picked By Humans":

http://sfppc.blogspot.com/2011/05/new-kfog-pd-keeps-human-element-in.html

To be fair, the new KFOG still sounds like they're doing this (10@10 not withstanding, but even that's not horrible and I'm not convinced that it's not going to be great again).  Now the "it's different tracks" are just mostly from the 90s & 00s instead of 80s & 70s.  I heard Belly, Morphine, a non-Fall Down/Comedown/Good Intentions/Something's Always Wrong/Walk on the Ocean/All I Want Toad the Wet Sprocket, & Jackie Greene yesterday.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: August 12, 2011, 10:55:29 AM »
I sometimes ride to work along the Embarcadero, and today I stopped by the Live and Local remote at the Epic Roasthouse.  It's a nice looking restaurant, and they were geared up with free excellent coffee and morning hors d'ouvres (crab cakes with a quail egg, hot beignets, corn waffle w bacon butter and whipped cream, pizza, corn soup, virgin bloody mary shots, little steak empanadas).  Score.  I missed the band, whoever they were.  

Webster, Renée and Peter were there, Irish Greg was back at the studio.  (There was one guy from the KFOG promotions department who looks a lot like IG... I kept doing a double take. I think I weirded him out, but then again, they probably get weirded out by most of the fans they meet  :) )  I got there right about 9 when they did the Nine O'Clock Pop Quiz, four guys answering trivia questions for Outside Lands tickets.   Man, those guys didn't know anything, but one aging hippie came away with the sweet tix after getting one-and-a-half questions correct.  Maybe it was the heat of the spotlight.

I spoke to a couple ladies from the Sales Dept.   When I dropped the term "Triple A" on them, they were impressed.   One, the Sales Mgr or something, said there are only about six AAA station in the country, and we chatted about how hard it was to define that genre, and I told her it seemed like a smart business move, despite the grumbling from the aging hippie demo (hee hee).  

I told her how awful The Bone morning jocks were (ETA: Cumulus owns KFOG, The Bone and KNBR), they seemed to agree (silently), but said people love them...  Sully, their wacky "Super Producer," was a mere listener years ago, and they used to chat with him on the phone, b/c they loved his laugh.  Now he's working with them.  Only in America, I tellya.

I asked them about 10@10 marathon and whether it would come back and about the defunct HD 10@10 station.  No one bought the HD units, so they dumped it.  Sales Mgr Lady told me they have some ideas about the marathon, but wouldn't go into details.

I then said "I can read your mind: you're thinking of a 10@10 internet stream, aren't you?"

She smiled, and I *thought* I was onto something, but of course she could not -- and would not -- tell me either way.  But I wonder....  She did say that "listener ideas are often very good.."  I told her she could have my online 10@10 stream idea ... for free.  

I'm glad there was food and coffee, otherwise WGAF?

ETA: oh, I forgot: they also served something called "Chicken salad," which was a piece of tender chicken breast meat, fried up good and juicy, then served cradled in an endive leaf with a dollop of aioli or something.  Delish.  The staff there did a great job showing off their menu.  Also, frozen cappuccinos!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 05:05:16 PM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: August 12, 2011, 11:21:25 AM »
TC, loved your summary. There are def more than 6 Triple-A stations in America (jeez there are at least 6 west of the Rockies) but whatevs.  I have wondered about a 10@10 internet stream since the Dave era; I think they were thinking about it but then the HD Radio thing came along and they went in that direction (unfortunately). I think if you made each week's shows available for a limited period (2 or 3 weeks would be more than sufficient IMHO) that would make folks quite happy.

[Homer Simpson voice]Mmmmm... bacon butter...[/HSV]

ETA: list of Triple-A's:

http://www.sbrcreative.com/page2_sub.php?id=74
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 11:34:53 AM by RGMike »

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: August 12, 2011, 12:32:18 PM »
I sometimes ride to work along the Embarcadero, and today I stopped by the Live and Local remote at the Epic Roasthouse...
Nice report, Tink.  Dang, after a busy work week, I was free enough today that I could have dropped by that Live 'N' Local remote, sampled breakfast and talked a little radio with the staff.  Thanks for representing, good you gleaned a lil' info.  I'm one of their "aging listeners" listening less and less to KFOG the last year or two.  Oh I'll check in on 10at10 occasionally as I've enjoy it as original programming that interests me.  And its fun to follow the comments on this forum, but honestly, the changes at KFOG aren't enough to keep me listening the rest of the day.  Too many other choices out there, either over-air or internet.  Good luck to DC and KFOG in maintaining their share of a shrinking pie.  Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes.  PS- BACON BUTTER this weekend!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 03:40:05 PM by Wayback »

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: August 12, 2011, 03:11:54 PM »
Thanks for the summary! :) I too hope they take up your idea of a 10@10 internet stream.  DC has previously alluded to putting the 10@10 channel online.  Mike beat me to posting the list of Triple A stations. (There's certainly not as many AAA's as Pop or Hot AC stations...but six?  ::))  The food sounded pretty Epic.  Crabcakes and steak for breakfast, mmm...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: August 12, 2011, 03:36:37 PM »
I went looking thru that list of Triple-A stations, seeing what they play; most are pretty similar. One that interested me was this:

http://www.wehm.com/

they're in the Hamptons and call themselves "progressive radio for Long island" and seem to be doing a nice job of mixing 5 decades of rock (everything from the ubiquitous "Pumped Up Kicks" to Randy Newman's version of "Mama Told Me Not to Come"). Will have to check them out next week.

AL just played "Just Play Music" by B.A.D. as her "33-1/3" track (they're at Outside Brands tonite).

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: August 12, 2011, 03:43:28 PM »
I went looking thru that list of Triple-A stations, seeing what they play; most are pretty similar. One that interested me was this:

http://www.wehm.com/

they're in the Hamptons and call themselves "progressive radio for Long island" and seem to be doing a nice job of mixing 5 decades of rock (everything from the ubiquitous "Pumped Up Kicks" to Randy Newman's version of "Mama Told Me Not to Come"). Will have to check them out next week.

AL just played "Just Play Music" by B.A.D. as her "33-1/3" track (they're at Outside Brands tonite).

B.A.D was used for one of the trivia questions: "Big Audio Dynamite features a musician from what previous well-known band?"

Hippie guy, the eventual winner, rang in first (actually I think he "clucked" in first, like a chicken, as they all had animal sounds to use instead of a "buzzer").

He said "Oh, The Clash!  and the guy is named.... well, Joe Strummer passed away, so it's not him... uhhmmmm..." He couldn't pull the name out (it's Mick Jones, of course), so he only got  a half-point of credit.  

The other question he answered was "Name at least two bands that Warren Haynes has played in."  

Hippie Chicken Guy said "Allman Brothers .. and Further!"  but he needed to clarify, so he said "The Dead!"  and that was good enough.  The other guys were probably like Who the eff is Warren Haynes?

« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 03:47:01 PM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: August 12, 2011, 06:33:49 PM »

ETA: oh, I forgot: they also served something called "Chicken salad," which was a piece of tender chicken breast meat, fried up good and juicy, then served cradled in an endive leaf with a dollop of aioli or something.  Delish.  

OMG.  I'm sooo making these for my next party/potluck dish/whatever!  I'm gonna use KFC's popcorn chicken, endive and a dollop of a mayonnaise/Sriracha mixture.  Sprinkle some chives on top and Bob's yer uncle!