Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096524 times)

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2205 on: August 06, 2011, 10:36:53 PM »
Also, apparently Renee took down a mean post about Irish Greg. Here's the thread:

Quote from: Daniel Whittaker
Funny how you guys took down my critisizm of Irish Greg and your LAME decision to take out Saturdays marathon. So much for KFOG being open for their loyal listeners to express themselves.

Quote from: KFOG Radio
Hi Daniel, Renee here, I took down the post of my own volition, um, thought it wasn't very nice. Sorry for sensoring you but I wouldm't want to wake up to read that.

Quote from: Lisa Corman-Roberts
Daniel, I thought your criticism of Greg was harsh as well. You are free to say what you want and think what you want. I know that most people don't realize everything how much he does to make the morning show run.... You may not like him on the air, and that is your opinion. But in terms of everything the show does, he is responsible for TONS of it.

Quote from: Dan Stefanko
SOOO, I guess I'm not the only Greg ANTI-Fan. Yes Greg may be a EXCELLENT producer but please put his MIC ON MUTE. The morning show can get along fine without his on-air input. Can't comment on what you posted earlier as I didn't see it.

I responded:
No way. Irish Greg often offers a contrarian view to the sometimes overly sunny demeanors of Webster, Renee and Peter. Dave Morey used to provide this balance - a bit of snideness or snark. Without Greg the morning show would definitely be lacking.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: August 07, 2011, 02:18:17 AM »
Here's a copy of the email DC sent to a listener who wrote in: (copied from FB)

"I understand your frustration about the decision to eliminate the 10@10 Marathon. This was a decision that was made with a lot of consideration and deliberation. My job as program director is to keep KFOG healthy. KFOG’s weekend ratings are the lowest ratings on the station. I need to be proactive about fixing the problem.

We are currently opening up the KFOG library to play a wider variety and styles of music. The regular music mix has got to be what draws listeners in. It’s like a restaurant that serves an amazing dessert. If people only come in for the dessert and don’t also order dinner, the restaurant would go out of business. Our main course has got to be the attraction.

Thanks for writing. I sincerely hope that you will give us another chance."

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: August 07, 2011, 09:28:21 AM »
Also, apparently Renee took down a mean post about Irish Greg. Here's the thread:

Funny how you guys took down my critisizm of Irish Greg and your LAME decision to take out Saturdays marathon. So much for KFOG being open for their loyal listeners to express themselves.

Hi Daniel, Renee here, I took down the post of my own volition, um, thought it wasn't very nice. Sorry for sensoring you but I wouldm't want to wake up to read that.

Daniel, I thought your criticism of Greg was harsh as well. You are free to say what you want and think what you want. I know that most people don't realize everything how much he does to make the morning show run.... You may not like him on the air, and that is your opinion. But in terms of everything the show does, he is responsible for TONS of it.

SOOO, I guess I'm not the only Greg ANTI-Fan. Yes Greg may be a EXCELLENT producer but please put his MIC ON MUTE. The morning show can get along fine without his on-air input. Can't comment on what you posted earlier as I didn't see it.

I responded:
No way. Irish Greg often offers a contrarian view to the sometimes overly sunny demeanors of Webster, Renee and Peter. Dave Morey used to provide this balance - a bit of snideness or snark. Without Greg the morning show would definitely be lacking.

This was amusing to me because I just recently became FB-friends with Mr Whittaker. But I agree with Darryl about Irish Greg -- he provides the much-needed crankypants POV. And he learned how to be cranky on the radio from one of the masters, Alex Bennett, when Greg worked at Live 105.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: August 07, 2011, 09:45:08 AM »
See Radicals post above. I guess DC is sending out a STANDARD RESPONSE.  I received the following email:

"I understand your frustration about the decision to eliminate the 10@10 Marathon. This was a decision that was made with a lot of consideration and deliberation. My job as program director is to keep KFOG healthy. KFOG’s weekend ratings are the lowest ratings on the station. I need to be proactive about fixing the problem.

We are currently opening up the KFOG library to play a wider variety and styles of music. The regular music mix has got to be what draws listeners in. It’s like a restaurant that serves an amazing dessert. If people only come in for the dessert and don’t also order dinner, the restaurant would go out of business. Our main course has got to be the attraction.

Thanks for writing. I sincerely hope that you will give us another chance."

Dennis

Dennis Constantine
Director of Programming
104.5/97.7 KFOG
55 Hawthorne St., Suite 1000
San Francisco, CA 94105
(415) 995-6902 direct line
Dennis@kfog.com
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: August 07, 2011, 10:15:01 AM »
See Radicals post above. I guess DC is sending out a STANDARD RESPONSE.  I received the following email:

"I understand your frustration about the decision to eliminate the 10@10 Marathon. This was a decision that was made with a lot of consideration and deliberation. My job as program director is to keep KFOG healthy. KFOG’s weekend ratings are the lowest ratings on the station. I need to be proactive about fixing the problem..."
My reply to him:

Hopefully Cumulus doesn't have your personal parts in a vise grip such that you are unable to reverse actions taken...

Sharks bleed teal.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: August 07, 2011, 10:17:44 AM »

I responded:

This was amusing to me because I just recently became FB-friends with Mr Whittaker. But I agree with Darryl about Irish Greg -- he provides the much-needed crankypants POV. And he learned how to be cranky on the radio from one of the masters, Alex Bennett, when Greg worked at Live 105.

I occasionally chatted w Tim Goodman about his kfog appearances and always wanted to know the behind the scenes goings-on in the studio.  He said there's tons of activity happening during the show, and Irish Greg has a LOT to do.  He said each person has a sort of role to play when it comes to banter.  

My feeling is that Greg seems to have settled into a sort of outsider role (he's "Irish", which no one would have ever guessed!)  perhaps slightly younger, and unfamiliar-with-some-American-culture role.  His questions might come from left field by a little design. Peter Finch's come from who knows where.

I have no problem with removing posts that are mean spirited.  Life is too short to take the energy required to post such things....  Oh, hell... Who am i kidding.  That's half of what we do here!
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: August 07, 2011, 10:24:26 AM »
See Radicals post above. I guess DC is sending out a STANDARD RESPONSE.  I received the following email:

"I understand your frustration about the decision to eliminate the 10@10 Marathon. This was a decision that was made with a lot of consideration and deliberation. My job as program director is to keep KFOG healthy. KFOG’s weekend ratings are the lowest ratings on the station. I need to be proactive about fixing the problem..."
My reply to him:

Hopefully Cumulus doesn't have your personal parts in a vise grip such that you are unable to reverse actions taken...

Hmmm, I'd say there goes your chance for a personally crafted reply from DC hisself.  :o

He's most likely getting tons of complaint emails like the original one you sent, and perhaps quite a few like your follow-up.  Of course he can only paste in a standard reply, there's no time to write more.  They tally your vote in the "nay" column and go read the next one.  

I might just write in saying "I agree with your decision to remove the marathon and the playlist changes..." just to see what he might write back.  Could be an invite to come over and meet the wife and kids!  
~CPL593H~

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: August 07, 2011, 11:26:52 AM »
He's most likely getting tons of complaint emails like the original one you sent, and perhaps quite a few like your follow-up.  Of course he can only paste in a standard reply, there's no time to write more.  They tally your vote in the "nay" column and go read the next one.  

I might just write in saying "I agree with your decision to remove the marathon and the playlist changes..." just to see what he might write back.  Could be an invite to come over and meet the wife and kids!  

Exactly -- if he's getting tons of emails saying essentially "bring the marathon back," I can't imagine his reply emails could differ too much either (or that he'd make up a different metaphor for each reply -- ha.)

& LOL John...Maybe he has a template (and/or guestlist) for that one too! ;)

In other news...Acoustic Sunrise now stops at 11  :-\

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: August 07, 2011, 05:04:01 PM »

Didn't it always?  (sorry, I haven't KFOGged on Sunday morning in years.)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: August 07, 2011, 09:04:21 PM »

In other news...Acoustic Sunrise now stops at 11  :-\

Didn't it always?  (sorry, I haven't KFOGged on Sunday morning in years.)

It used to be until 12.  It still starts at 7 so they chopped off an hour.  Judging by the # of people who complained about this on FB (0), nobody cares.  They also bumped it back an hour in the evenings, from 6-8 to 7-9 (still 2 hours.)  Lost & Found also got bumped back an hour.  Not sure if they dumped the House of Blues hour which used to be from 11-12, though that I wouldn't miss.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: August 07, 2011, 09:54:17 PM »

My reply to him:

He replied:
"Cumulus had no part of this decision. It was made here at the station."
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: August 07, 2011, 09:58:53 PM »

My reply to him:

He replied:
Did DC axe 10@10 at KINK and KBCO?
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: August 07, 2011, 11:00:21 PM »
See Radicals post above. I guess DC is sending out a STANDARD RESPONSE.  I received the following email:

My reply to him:

He replied:
Did DC axe 10@10 at KINK and KBCO?

I believe DC was long gone from 'BCO by the time Ginger pulled the plug on it. He may not have been there when they started doing it. He was at KINK when it ceased there, but I don't think it ever caught on in a big way with the Portland audience, so it was probably a justifiable decision.

Btw, I still believe that any retraction of the current format adjustments will come not as a result of audience complaints, but from a drop in Arbitron ratings. It may take a couple of months, but if KFOG's numbers drop and stay down, I would not be surprised to see a return to form. Here's hoping anyway.  We should see July numbers before too long.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 11:09:57 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: August 08, 2011, 07:49:20 AM »

Didn't it always?  (sorry, I haven't KFOGged on Sunday morning in years.)

It used to be until 12.  It still starts at 7 so they chopped off an hour.  Judging by the # of people who complained about this on FB (0), nobody cares.  They also bumped it back an hour in the evenings, from 6-8 to 7-9 (still 2 hours.)  Lost & Found also got bumped back an hour.  Not sure if they dumped the House of Blues hour which used to be from 11-12, though that I wouldn't miss.

I noticed that L&F Was still on at 11:15 as I was re-setting the radio before going to sleep... House o'Blues may indeed start at midnight, or it may be gone -- I can't imagine the demos for that are exactly youthful. I used to listen to it quite a bit when it was on at 9:00, then Little Steven came along on the Bone, and then KFOG moved it to 11.  The Peak in NYC runs it at 9pm eastern, so I could easily listen at 6pm here.

ETA: per the KFOG website, House O'Blues is now at midnight. But it wouldn't surprise me if they drop it when the current contract expires.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 03:47:12 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: August 08, 2011, 03:44:49 PM »
Just got a suggestion from Facebook that I "friend" a certain PD with the initials DC.  ...er, I don't THINK so!