Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096679 times)

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2175 on: August 03, 2011, 10:58:39 PM »
I'm conducting the following survey on my FB and Google Plus:

Quick survey (although not using FB's Question gadget):
- Do you listen to the radio?
- If so, what station(s)?
- Do you listen to music other ways (CDs, MP3s, Pandora, Spotify, Amazon Cloud Player, Google Music, etc.)?
- Age range: <21, 21-30, 31-40, 41-50, 51+?

Thanks -- it's just for personal knowledge (and discussion on a geeky radio forum I'm in), but I'll be happy to post results.

I agree that you guys are outliers though, so feel free to skip it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: August 04, 2011, 07:39:33 AM »
another observation: when the big switch happened last month, it seemed like they were hitting stuff like Neon Trees, Airborne Toxic Event and "Seven Nation Army" pretty hard. Now its back to being Soccer Mom Central: Sting's "Desert Rose" comes up a LOT, and we're getting John Mayer, Jazn Mrazzzzz and the like.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: August 04, 2011, 10:31:09 PM »
I finally heard "Seven Nation Army" tonight! But shortly thereafter, Rob Thomas + Santana's "Smooth". Ugh. And then not two songs later, the some old Matchbox 20. I'm sorry, but I'll take Mr.Az over Rob Thomas any day.

BTW, the song between them? Foster The People's "Pumped Up Kicks", which really, I liked the first 100 times I heard it, but now it is in *HEAVY* rotation on KFOG -- 5 times a day.  Damn.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: August 05, 2011, 07:31:06 AM »
I finally heard "Seven Nation Army" tonight! But shortly thereafter, Rob Thomas + Santana's "Smooth". Ugh. And then not two songs later, the some old Matchbox 20. I'm sorry, but I'll take Mr.Az over Rob Thomas any day.

BTW, the song between them? Foster The People's "Pumped Up Kicks", which really, I liked the first 100 times I heard it, but now it is in *HEAVY* rotation on KFOG -- 5 times a day.  Damn.

"Pumped Up" is a HUGE record at Triple-A, nationally. Despite a lot of teeth-gnashing about the lyrics.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: August 05, 2011, 09:10:25 AM »

"Pumped Up" is a HUGE record at Triple-A, nationally. Despite a lot of teeth-gnashing about the lyrics.

Funny - my wife was telling me what they were about and calling out the bits about "better run", "got my gun", and I had no idea. Whoa!

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: August 05, 2011, 09:13:20 AM »
Watching the Live+Local Livestream of the KFOG Morning Show from Marin. I love it -- it's like watching sausage being made.

Greg, upon learning that they only ended up with two "talent show" contestants for the MUSE ticket giveaway: "Fuck!"

With Webster trying to decide what to play after Bonnie Raitt's "In The Nick of Time":
Webster: "How about some Neil Young?"
Greg: "Yeah... Oh wait, no, that's too many Golden Oldies in a row.  How about Matt Nathanson instead?"

"The Nick of Time" from 1989 is a Golden Oldie now? Hah!

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: August 05, 2011, 09:14:46 AM »
Also, haha:
Greg: "I haven't gone to the bathroom all day"
Webster: "Yeah, coffee and cold weather..."

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: August 05, 2011, 09:34:05 AM »
Watching the Live+Local Livestream of the KFOG Morning Show from Marin. I love it -- it's like watching sausage being made.

Greg, upon learning that they only ended up with two "talent show" contestants for the MUSE ticket giveaway: "Fuck!"

With Webster trying to decide what to play after Bonnie Raitt's "In The Nick of Time":
Webster: "How about some Neil Young?"
Greg: "Yeah... Oh wait, no, that's too many Golden Oldies in a row.  How about Matt Nathanson instead?"

"The Nick of Time" from 1989 is a Golden Oldie now? Hah!

That is pretty funny, tho' he may have meant the age of the artists rather than the age of their songs.  ;)

but it occurred to me that when Dave started 10@10 in '82, they went back, basically, 20 years*, with the occasional "Fifties Friday" just for fun.  And today we'll go back 42 years to 1969. So what DC is trying to do isn't exactly radical, to be fair.

* - there's a legendary Morey segue from the early days I read about somewhere: he was doing 1963 and they had a clip of the JFK assassination. Someone was saying "where did the shots come from?" followed immediately by the Drifters singing "up on the roof..."  Oh, Dave.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: August 05, 2011, 02:39:28 PM »
Had another thought, re: the newly reconfigured KFOG... I wonder if they'll do "A-to-Z" again anytime soon, and what it will sound like if they do. 

And what happened to that new Cars album? they didn't exactly play that a whole lot -- safe to say it was a flop?

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: August 05, 2011, 03:09:13 PM »
Had another thought, re: the newly reconfigured KFOG... I wonder if they'll do "A-to-Z" again anytime soon, and what it will sound like if they do. 

And what happened to that new Cars album? they didn't exactly play that a whole lot -- safe to say it was a flop?

FWIW, at the panel back in March DC said he was a huge fan of A-Z and is planning on bring it back.

Yeah, they spun the new Cars for about a month and the dropped it.  AFAIK it's the only song added since the DC takeover that's already been dropped (They're still spinning all of the ones he added back in March...Keane ft. K'Naan, Arcade Fire, Amos Lee, Michael Franti "Hey"x3, JJ - From the Clouds).  Too bad...IMO it's the best new song from an 80s band since Depeche Mode "Precious" back in 2006.  I don't think it's because the Cars are too "old" for the demo as they're still spinning a bunch of their old hits.  But it's not just KFOG, the Cars song isn't really getting spun too much anymore nationally.  Maybe the record company just decided to pull the plug.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: August 05, 2011, 03:13:39 PM »

FWIW, at the panel back in March DC said he was a huge fan of A-Z and is planning on bring it back.

Yeah, they spun the new Cars for about a month and the dropped it.  AFAIK it's the only song added since the DC takeover that's already been dropped (They're still spinning all of the ones he added back in March...Keane ft. K'Naan, Arcade Fire, Amos Lee, Michael Franti "Hey"x3, JJ - From the Clouds).  Too bad...IMO it's the best new song from an 80s band since Depeche Mode "Precious" back in 2006.  I don't think it's because the Cars are too "old" for the demo as they're still spinning a bunch of their old hits.  But it's not just KFOG, the Cars song isn't really getting spun too much anymore nationally.  Maybe the record company just decided to pull the plug.

...and yet, they're still playing that Snow Patrol song (which was never great in the first place).  I'd rather hear Piano Man 5 times a day on Oldies 103.7 than this crap.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: August 05, 2011, 03:15:50 PM »

Of course in March he was still in "Old KFOG" mode -- not sure if he realized that the current situation would be happening.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: August 05, 2011, 03:23:17 PM »
...and yet, they're still playing that Snow Patrol song (which was never great in the first place).  I'd rather hear Piano Man 5 times a day on Oldies 103.7 than this crap.

and don't forget Coldplay, "Every Teardrop is Another Piece of Jewelry For Gwynneth"

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: August 05, 2011, 03:27:42 PM »

...and yet, they're still playing that Snow Patrol song (which was never great in the first place).  I'd rather hear Piano Man 5 times a day on Oldies 103.7 than this crap.

Oh no you didn't!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(  ;)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 03:33:27 PM by radical347 »

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: August 05, 2011, 03:29:44 PM »

Of course in March he was still in "Old KFOG" mode -- not sure if he realized that the current situation would be happening.

Good point.  But I hope the bigwigs realize that there's enough contemporary-ish songs to let DC give A-Z a go.  It just better not suck like the 2001 set.