Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096665 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2115 on: July 14, 2011, 09:56:39 PM »
Thurs nite, 9:50: Oasis, "Wonderwall". The sort of '90s even *I* can get behind.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: July 14, 2011, 11:47:50 PM »
Apparently we are not the only ones who have noticed the changes afoot at KFOG. Big Rick posted the following FB status earlier today:

Quote from: Big Rick
If the station you listen(ed) to suddenly STOPPED playing The Rolling Stones, The Who, Eric Clapton, Aerosmith, Santana, Thin Lizzy, Pink Floyd, The Beatles and more don't worry. Just a few clicks away at 98.5 or 102.1 we've got you covered. I'll ROCK OUT and have fun from 3 to 7 today as usual!

Oh, SNAP! The battle has been joined!
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: July 15, 2011, 07:32:27 AM »
Apparently we are not the only ones who have noticed the changes afoot at KFOG. Big Rick posted the following FB status earlier today:

If the station you listen(ed) to suddenly STOPPED playing The Rolling Stones, The Who, Eric Clapton, Aerosmith, Santana, Thin Lizzy, Pink Floyd, The Beatles and more don't worry. Just a few clicks away at 98.5 or 102.1 we've got you covered. I'll ROCK OUT and have fun from 3 to 7 today as usual!

That's pretty funny.

This morning KFOG is doing another Request-O-Rama-O-Rama; the first winner asked for and got Leon Russell's "Tightrope"... but surely R-O-R can't continue if people keep requesting "old" songs?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 07:46:20 AM by RGMike »

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: July 15, 2011, 03:45:09 PM »
Ridiculously easy 9'oclock quiz winner (c'mon, really, who doesn't know Paul Masson "will sell no wine, before its time", and that it was Orson Welles? Oh, maybe 20-yos) picked David Lindley's "Mercury Blues" as his Request-O-Rama pick, after which The Morning Show couldn't get over how much it rocked (duh).

(Tickets won: Los Lonely Boys + Los Lobos @ Mountain Winery. Only gotten some airplay in the last month, probably in promotion of this show.)

Personally, I'm torn. I really do like Adele. But they've been playing her 4-5 times a day. That's nuts. And I think she'd be the first person to tell you she's not "World Class Rock."  But heck, Beyonce (whose "4" I happen to be listening to right now on Spotify(!)) played Glastonbury and proclaimed "I want you to know right now you are witnessing my dream... I always wanted to be a rock star and tonight we are all rock stars." (And now I'm listening/watching to her cover Sex on Fire... mmm)

I still need to hack together some SQL that'll show me what's been getting the most spins on a weekly basis. (Would still love some help on this, Rod, if you have the time.)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 03:49:43 PM by darryl »

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: July 15, 2011, 03:48:47 PM »
In other news, Dred Scott has been interesting to listen to. It almost sounds like he's trying to hard to always have something to funny or offbeat to say in between songs, but I guess that's just how he is. I suppose it beats the completely bland Rockwell.

An interesting thing I heard is that either he (or management) have decided to start a little "KFOG through the years" project, and he's soliciting user-recorded tapes/digital recordings of KFOG from the last 20 years. I think he said he'd be playing the best stuff during his show.

I really only have 10@10 recordings, and of course like the last week of Dave Morey.

Contact info:  http://www.kfog.com/PROGRAMMING/Airstaff/DredScott/tabid/1657/Default.aspx

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: July 15, 2011, 03:53:06 PM »

That's pretty funny.

And yeah, I saw that on Big Rick's FB and chuckled too.  OTOH, if KFOG's going to start playing more White Stripes (how do I keep missing it?), I can get behind that.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: July 15, 2011, 06:44:06 PM »
Heard Sublime's "Summertime" or "Doin' Time" or whatever it's called -- A song I absolutely hate -- TWICE on KFOG in the past 2 days.

OTOH, they're still playing the Toyes' "Smoke 2 Joints" at 5pm on Friday, so some things never change, I guess.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: July 15, 2011, 07:08:57 PM »
OTOH, if KFOG's going to start playing more White Stripes (how do I keep missing it?), I can get behind that.

Ya just missed "7 Nation Army" at 5:17pm. they must be playing it several times a day at least.

And agreed on Adele, mainly because (as previously noted) I'm subjected to 92.7 The Rev at my gym and they play "Rolling in the Deep" TWICE AN HOUR. At least KFOG has started mixing it up by spinning "Rumor Has It" too. Personally I prefer my neo-soul performed by actual, y'know, black people. Wish KFOG gave Sharon Jones more love and they REALLY need to play Raphael Saddiq. A number of Triple-A stations do.

The website still says "World Class Rock" all over, as well as "hand-picked by humans" which is pretty hilarious now, IMHO.

I also did a comparison between KFOG and the Peak -- 2 similar Triple-A formats, both stations do 10@10 -- and looked at their playlists today, 6am - 5pm. VERY similar currents  (Adele, Jack Johnson, yadda yadda) and interestingly, in that 11-hour stretch, both stations playeds exactly TWO '60s tracks. And in the '70s category, KFOG played 8 tracks, The Peak played 17.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 08:19:58 PM by RGMike »

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: July 15, 2011, 08:21:29 PM »
I agree about Dred Scott sounding like he's trying too hard to say something worthwhile.  I much prefer the "completely bland Rockwell".  (tho I still prefer them both to BRS  :-\ - but LOL @ his FB comment.) I also agree KFOG needs to lay off the Sublime.

Has anyone noticed the corny sound effects the DJs have been playing while talking lately?  I wonder if mgmt is trying to put some "oomph" into things.  Dred Scott just played David & David and then played a bunch of banjo strings in between trying to make up names for what David & David could have called themselves.  It's not just DS though, AL's been throwing some in too.   

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #2124 on: July 15, 2011, 08:39:31 PM »
Heard Sublime's "Summertime" or "Doin' Time" or whatever it's called -- A song I absolutely hate -- TWICE on KFOG in the past 2 days.

OTOH, they're still playing the Toyes' "Smoke 2 Joints" at 5pm on Friday, so some things never change, I guess.
I should hope not!  That's sacrosanct!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: July 15, 2011, 10:21:57 PM »
I have not kept up w/regional 10@10's. Did KBCO and Ginger give up on 10@10? Saw on his bio page that DC spent time to BCO.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: July 15, 2011, 10:37:41 PM »
I have not kept up w/regional 10@10's. Did KBCO and Ginger give up on 10@10? Saw on his bio page that DC spent time to BCO.

yeah, 'BCO gave up a couple years ago -- dunno if DC was there at the time.  Ginger just stopped doing 10@10 one day in the middle of the week, supposedly it was a test to see if anyone would notice; apparently nobody did.

But DC was also at KINK in Portland; they had a 10@10 that was (surprise!) heavy on '80s & '90s and was the only 10@10 we've heard to have '00s years in the rotation. and then one day... they stopped doing 10@10 altogether.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: July 15, 2011, 10:58:47 PM »

yeah, 'BCO gave up a couple years ago -- dunno if DC was there at the time.  Ginger just stopped doing 10@10 one day in the middle of the week, supposedly it was a test to see if anyone would notice; apparently nobody did.

But DC was also at KINK in Portland; they had a 10@10 that was (surprise!) heavy on '80s & '90s and was the only 10@10 we've heard to have '00s years in the rotation. and then one day... they stopped doing 10@10 altogether.

I think Oldies 103.7 could do a successful version of 10@10; they play 60s 70s and 80s, pretty much the traditional breadbasket of 10@10s many here enjoy.  I think they should also pick up AT40, but I assume 1550 AM has options on that.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: July 16, 2011, 09:03:30 AM »
I think Oldies 103.7 could do a successful version of 10@10; they play 60s 70s and 80s, pretty much the traditional breadbasket of 10@10s many here enjoy.  I think they should also pick up AT40, but I assume 1550 AM has options on that.

Agreed on both counts. It's Oldies 103.7's "Ten O'Clock Time Warp"!  (Patent pending)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: July 16, 2011, 02:18:23 PM »

It was long gone before I moved to the Portland area, but on the few occasions I listened to the KINK version of 10@10 I found it pretty bland and boring, with too many songs I'd already heard too often as it is. Not surprisingly, that's how I find KINK now that I live here. I rarely listen to it, and when I do I usually find myself turning away within 10 minutes or so. Too bad, as I think their call letters are priceless.
Let's get right to it.