Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096616 times)

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #2085 on: June 28, 2011, 11:10:29 AM »
hey, I think one of us (shray?) just won big on KFOG... like a trip to London?
Is this our Shray?!!
From the KFOG website: http://www.kfog.com/Default.aspx
"Last Chance: London World Class Adventure
Congratulations to Mark Shrader of Hayward, winner of the latest World Class Adventure to London!  Just one trip remains, and this is your last week to get on the standby list.  Keep listening for Big Ben through Friday for your chance to join Renee in London to see Adele & Amos Lee at the Hammersmith Apollo September 19!"

surely he would've posted something here if so? He spells it "Schroeder", BTW so if it's him then KFOG misspelled their own winner's name!

Also, Mark hasn't lived in Hayward for a number of years--he's a Dublin kid now. Come to think of it, I think it was Castro Valley, not Hayward. So probably not him. Darn.

ETA: Here's something I'm curious about. Given that we're radio geeks, I imagine we've all won a prize or two on the radio. What's the best thing you ever won on a radio contest? I know what mine is, but I want to hear what you all have won first.
I have won quite a bit. Last year, thanks to The Band, I won a trip to Vegas to see Santana in April. Flight on Southwest and a night at the Hard Rock. I went to pick up my tickets the day Renel went back to KISS. It was the same studio. I'm sure I could go back to March or so when I won and see my post here. They let me in the Kiss studio to see Tony Sandoval doing his lunchtime show. What made it very cool was while we were in the Vegas bar, pre-show, my husband and I connected with a nice man who had two extra seats and traded his REALLY GOOD seats for our seats which while good were not center front. He then met two people passing thru town and gave them our seats. So, we got GREAT seats and two people got free tickets.
Many years ago I was caller #whatever and won $1000 on a classical station.  Other memorable win was from the Bone. Backstage passes to a meet and greet with the Scorpions at Shoreline. That was a good time.
Ali for the win!  What kind of super duper speedy deluxe phone do you use anyway?  Good stories all around.  Viva la radio geeks! :)

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: June 30, 2011, 12:23:26 PM »
Trying to win tickets to Amos Lee/an Adele CD to qualify for the London trip to see Adele. Apparently they forgot to tell the new overnight guy that he'd have to field calls from people trying to win. He didn't announce a winner after the Big Ben sounder played.

After a long rambling thing about how Fitz and the Tantrums sounds like a liontamer act and maybe it's because he's associating it with Fritz the Cat (?!), he IDed himself as Dred Scott. 

LinkedIn says he's still at 100.3 The Sound in L.A., but laradio.com says he left in early 2010 after the overnight live shift was eliminated.  Apparently he also worked at KFOG a *looong* time ago (I think I vaguely recall him, his but his LinkedIn says he DJed there back in the 1900s, haha.)  http://www.linkedin.com/pub/dred-scott/22/a9b/98

Anybody else remember this guy, or heard him?

wow, KFOG has a *LIVE* overnite guy?? They've been voice-tracked after midnite for, like, more than a decade. (or is it possible he IS voicetracked and the automation played the "Big Ben" thing by mistake? the contest is only supposed to be running during the day, afaik). 

I heard Dred Scott last nite around 9:45 (I'm guessing Darryl said "Overnite" when he meant to say "evening") Found him sorta borderline irritating, but then we all felt that way about Webster in the beginning. Did they get rid of Rockwell, or did Constantine just get tired of doing an air shift?

Oops, yeah, I meant Evening. A few nights later, we heard him totally screw up cueing up the right commercials, and then dead air for about 15 seconds. It was awesome. He later posted about wrapping up his first week on KFOG and Mike Owyang commented on the "interesting segues" and I commented that he finally figured out the phone contest thing. No response. :-}

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: June 30, 2011, 12:36:53 PM »
ETA: Here's something I'm curious about. Given that we're radio geeks, I imagine we've all won a prize or two on the radio. What's the best thing you ever won on a radio contest? I know what mine is, but I want to hear what you all have won first.

Hrm, let me dig up the file...

Well, there was the time in 2009 when KFOG was heavily advertising for the SF Opera, and my wife really wanted to go but I was kind of meh. When they announced they'd be giving away tickets all week on the Morning Show, and when the first couple of days it seemed really easy (not much demand?), I called in for an operatic spelling bee, and won! (Ok, maybe with a *little* help from Google.)

Alas, babysitting drop off in Alameda took a while, so we got there late and had to stand in the back for the first half, but during intermission we met up with Webster, his wife and the other winners, and enjoyed the rest of the performance from pretty good seats. Pretty sweet.

Back when the Kaboom was still called that, won tickets on Kaboom cruises two years in a row, and then the Deck. That was pretty nice. Rodrigo y Gabriela private concert was sweet.

Oh, and last year, Glady really wanted to see Corinne Bailey Rae at the Greek, but headliner Norah Jones, not so much. Ok, let's win tickets then. Done - Row 3.

Sometimes it's too easy, especially if it's not a typical KFOG artist. Also won Imogen Heap from Kelly Ransford's Side Show, and we've won stuff from Rosalie on Acoustic Sunrise too. Low demand hours, so better chances.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: June 30, 2011, 12:48:51 PM »
Oh, and I think we won Swell Season tickets from Rosalie. Unfortunately it was their show at the Mountain Winery where a guy jumped from the roof to the stage, killing himself in front of the band and audience. Awful.

Glady can't bear to see a show there again. :-{

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: July 02, 2011, 03:17:53 PM »
In '96, my first year in SF, I won tickets to the New Year's Eve ball (sponsored by Pac Bell, I believe) at the Embarcadero.  Chris Isaak was the headliner; I forget who else was there, but some singers were re-enacting "Rocky Horror" songs at one point.  I'd won the tix from Live 105 on this My Three Songs question:

1. Bush, "Glycerine"
2. Oasis, "Supersonic"
3. David Bowie, "Young Americans" (NB: I'm not positive this was the third song, but it fits the bill at any rate.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: July 06, 2011, 10:02:42 AM »
Good gawd, those ads for "Sun-Gevity" solar panels, with the obnoxious guy who hates the environment -- I mean, WTFF?? Not funny and completely alienating to anyone who might be inclined to buy the product. Like fingernails on a blackboard.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: July 07, 2011, 10:05:46 AM »
Good gawd, those ads for "Sun-Gevity" solar panels, with the obnoxious guy who hates the environment -- I mean, WTFF?? Not funny and completely alienating to anyone who might be inclined to buy the product. Like fingernails on a blackboard.

I just heard the ad you're referring to.  I'm almost positive it's the same guy who played McGruff the Crime Dog in a similarly noxious series of PSAs a year or two ago.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: July 07, 2011, 11:09:31 AM »

I just heard the ad you're referring to.  I'm almost positive it's the same guy who played McGruff the Crime Dog in a similarly noxious series of PSAs a year or two ago.

damn, I think you may be right. def vocal similarity there.  Those "McGruff" PSAs ("take a BITE outta crime!") have been running for over 20 years, actually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McGruff_the_Crime_Dog
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 11:12:03 AM by RGMike »

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: July 08, 2011, 12:02:25 PM »
Hey, did you guys notice KFOG has a new "Now Playing" thingy? It actually works reasonably well, and doesn't rely on Flash, but it also has too many Javascripty things and images. Feh. Usually I just want to Google a band/artist or see how often KFOG has played them lately. So I hacked it up a bit:

http://darryl.com/kfognew/

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: July 08, 2011, 12:08:44 PM »
Hey, did you guys notice KFOG has a new "Now Playing" thingy? It actually works reasonably well, and doesn't rely on Flash, but it also has too many Javascripty things and images. Feh. Usually I just want to Google a band/artist or see how often KFOG has played them lately. So I hacked it up a bit:

http://darryl.com/kfognew/

Yeah, they're using the same "TuneGenie" system that a lot of stations use (the Peak uses it too). 

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: July 08, 2011, 02:19:10 PM »
Heard "She Will Be Loved" by Maroon 5 on KFOG last nite...  :-\
I can't imagine too many KFOG listeners want to hear about a "beauty queen of only 18," I could be wrong though...

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: July 08, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
I can't imagine too many KFOG listeners want to hear about a "beauty queen of only 18," I could be wrong though...
Oh, about as much as hearing "Eighteen" by Alice Cooper, Stevie Nicks "Edge of 17," The Stray Cats "Sexy and 17," or the Beatles sing "she was just 17, you know what I mean..."  ;)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: July 08, 2011, 04:44:34 PM »
Oh, about as much as hearing "Eighteen" by Alice Cooper, Stevie Nicks "Edge of 17," The Stray Cats "Sexy and 17," or the Beatles sing "she was just 17, you know what I mean..."  ;)

Or Hall and Oates' Sara Smile

"Baby hair with a woman's eyes."

WTF?
~CPL593H~

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: July 08, 2011, 04:57:09 PM »

WTF?
"Hey little girl, is your daddy home?  Did he go and leave you all alone?"

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: July 08, 2011, 04:58:28 PM »
WTF?
Or Ringo's version of "You're 16" or Dr Hook's version of "Only 16."    Eeek!