Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096658 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1905 on: March 06, 2011, 12:36:52 AM »
BF-T checks in with a bit of news about the new KFOG PD (including a rather pixilated head shot) and some dish on the Cumulus-Citadel merger:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/03/04/PKGT1HSG04.DTL

I didn't realize Renee and Peter were starting at 5am now. Oy vey.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: March 06, 2011, 09:18:25 AM »
Rosalie just played CJ & the Fish's "Janis" which I haven't heard since I-can't-remember-when.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1907 on: March 06, 2011, 04:36:56 PM »
Rosalie just played CJ & the Fish's "Janis" which I haven't heard since I-can't-remember-when.
I was already at rehearsal, and missed it!  Damn!  Beautiful song.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: March 06, 2011, 08:42:31 PM »
Just flipped on KFOG in time to hear the British guy on that "Lost & Found" show playing... Gwynneth Paltrow & Tim McGraw. Not sure how I feel about that...

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: March 07, 2011, 06:29:51 AM »
Just flipped on KFOG in time to hear the British guy on that "Lost & Found" show playing... Gwynneth Paltrow & Tim McGraw. Not sure how I feel about that...

I listened to his show for a bit last night too.  I found his choice of songs tasteful (for the most part) and he has a great on air presence.  Maybe I just have a thing for British accents. 

Just read his bio - impressive credentials!

Luke Crampton enjoyed a London-based career in the music business before co-founding the Media Research & Information Bureau (MRIB) in 1981. During the 1980's, MRIB became the largest chart-compiling and entertainment research agency in Europe, numbering among its clients some of the most prestigious names in the UK and US media. During this period, Luke also created several radio and television series including ‘The Network Chart Show’ and ‘The Alphabet Show’, was the host of his own radio series on Crown FM and the official adjudicator for the World Music Awards and the Ivor Novello Awards.
Following the sale of MRIB in 1991, Luke emigrated to the United States, and established the Original Media company group. Original Media is a broad entertainment-based concept company which primarily creates and produces television programming, including CNN’s ‘World Beat’ – the first global, weekly music television series - and its successor, ‘The Music Room’ also for CNN. Original Media subsidiaries include Songfinder, an established music supervision and licensing service, and the Music Information Database: the world’s most comprehensive source for popular music history data.
Luke is also an acclaimed best-selling author of some thirty books including ‘Rock and Roll: Year By Year’ (Dorling Kindersley) published in association with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - for which he is also a voting judge. Luke also serves as a voting member for the Songwriters Hall of Fame, the Radio Hall of Fame and the Grammy Awards.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: March 07, 2011, 09:39:37 AM »

That's been true for Peter for years, although I can't be sure that Renee wasn't always starting that early.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1911 on: March 08, 2011, 07:34:01 PM »

That's been true for Peter for years, although I can't be sure that Renee wasn't always starting that early.
I knew Renee was doing the early shift, but not Peter. 
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: March 09, 2011, 03:21:51 PM »
so, is KFOG giving any play to that new Beady Eye (ex-Oasis types) song? I like it; it would seem ideal for them and certainly better than another Jack Johnson snoozefest or the umpteenth Feist-alike.

Of course I've said that about numerous songs in the past that KFOG ignored...

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: March 11, 2011, 04:31:06 PM »
They've been playing a lot of South Side lately.  

I noticed that, too.  2 days in a row at almost the same time!  Maybe they're on autopilot.   ;)

No, seriously.  What's the deal with all this Southside (Moby) playing lately?  It seems like I hear it everyday now.  Kinda odd, no?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: March 11, 2011, 06:41:22 PM »

I noticed that, too.  2 days in a row at almost the same time!  Maybe they're on autopilot.   ;)

No, seriously.  What's the deal with all this Southside (Moby) playing lately?  It seems like I hear it everyday now.  Kinda odd, no?

It's like a gateway drug ... from there to a full-scale Gwen Stefani infestation. We'll be hearing "Hollaback Girl" by summer.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: March 11, 2011, 06:53:25 PM »

It must've tested well in their latest focus group.

And it's not odd for them to play the same songs at nearly the same time of day repeatedly. About 18 months ago it seemed like they'd spin the same song right after 10@10 at least 2 or 3 mornings a week. Thankfully I've blocked out who it was. Counting Crows maybe? Anyone else recall?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: March 11, 2011, 07:04:12 PM »

I noticed that, too.  2 days in a row at almost the same time!  Maybe they're on autopilot.   ;)

No, seriously.  What's the deal with all this Southside (Moby) playing lately?  It seems like I hear it everyday now.  Kinda odd, no?

It must've tested well in their latest focus group.

And it's not odd for them to play the same songs at nearly the same time of day repeatedly. About 18 months ago it seemed like they'd spin the same song right after 10@10 at least 2 or 3 mornings a week. Thankfully I've blocked out who it was. Counting Crows maybe? Anyone else recall?

GreenDay, "21 Guns"

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: March 12, 2011, 08:06:44 AM »
replay order isn't matching what AL posted on the KFOG web site:

"As promised here's how the 10@10 replay will roll for the Saturday Morning Marathon:
We'll start with the Fat Tuesday set and then have a nice early morning playback of the sweet trip to 69, followed by 1992, 1985 & 1977."

they did Mardi Gras first, but they're playing 92 now... so I guess we'll get some 69 later.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 10:56:01 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: March 12, 2011, 09:15:27 AM »
replay order isn't matching what AL posted on the KFOG web site"

"As promised here's how the 10@10 replay will roll for the Saturday Morning Marathon:
We'll start with the Fat Tuesday set and then have a nice early morning playback of the sweet trip to 69, followed by 1992, 1985 & 1977."

they did Mardi Gras first, but they're playing 92 now... so I guess we'll get some 69 later.

I prefer to be fully awake for 69.  Woke up at 8:50 and there was the 5th Dimension. Glad I missed '92.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: March 13, 2011, 08:19:42 PM »
Posted by Tim Goodman on FB:

"Apologies to those who don't live in the Bay Area. But hey KFOG fans, I should let you know that the new program director isn't a big TV fan, so after 10 years of being on the air every Monday, he'd prefer a 'when TV news is relevant' kind of deal, where I appear randomly. Not sure that's a deal I'm eager to take, but I have enjoyed my time there for a decade (!) and will miss Webster, Peter, Renee and Greg."

Tim's post was followed by some GREAT anti-KFOG comments. Here are a couple:

"I quit KFOG a while ago due to the horrible music recycling program they have going on, but I've ALWAYS tuned in during the morning show to catch you - and sometimes just to see if anything had changed for the better (sadly never the case, last week they were actually spelling words - spelling, on the radio. I guess nothing else was going on in the world...) Though I knew everything would go to shit as soon as Dave left, I had a small amount of hope that I was wrong. I was not. Bay area radio is dead."

"What an idiotic decsion. Other than 10@10. Not much reason to listen to KFOG these days. What, do they need more time to play 'Little Lion Man' one more time?"