Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096515 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1890 on: February 24, 2011, 10:44:32 AM »
As of yesterday the 10@10 Channel on HD2 has disappeared.  Hope it's not permanent though I fear it is.  Too bad--just got around to getting an HD2 radio two weeks ago and was digging hearing the old Dave replays.

I'm surprised it lasted this long, considering it will be 2 years in June since the last Dave 10@10 aired on the main feed.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: February 25, 2011, 11:01:29 AM »
hearing David Gray makes me feel like I'm wearing Mom Jeans.

Thanks, I feel much better now.

~CPL593H~

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: February 25, 2011, 02:50:54 PM »

Just heard Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand, so your jeans should feel all skinny now.    8)

On a programming note, AL mentioned that a new show called Lost and Found, "featuring the best music you've never heard" is on Sundays from 8-11pm taking over the former Sideshow spot.  Here's a playlist:
http://www.lostandfoundradio.com/

Some of the songs like The Farm's All Together Now would be cool to hear on the radio...but U2's One?  Don't we hear that on KFOG already, like 4 times daily?  Same goes for Kandi by One Eskimo. 

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: February 25, 2011, 03:23:39 PM »

Just heard Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand, so your jeans should feel all skinny now.    8)

On a programming note, AL mentioned that a new show called Lost and Found, "featuring the best music you've never heard" is on Sundays from 8-11pm taking over the former Sideshow spot.  Here's a playlist:

Some of the songs like The Farm's All Together Now would be cool to hear on the radio...but U2's One?  Don't we hear that on KFOG already, like 4 times daily?  Same goes for Kandi by One Eskimo. 

had probs with that website , it kept going blank on me -- but I'm guessing these are "unique" versions of songs? Live ones? Like maybe that version of "One" is the one with Mary J Blige?

Also -- no more Sunday replay of "Live from the Archives?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: February 25, 2011, 03:45:52 PM »

And I noted a couple of others that aren't "lost" or even "temporarily misplaced." Specifically the Elvis Costello and Smiths tunes. Love both those artists and both those songs, but both of those are amongh their more popular tracks, imo. Quite a few of the others smack of the early-90s AAA format. Guess the new PD is itching to make his mark.
Let's get right to it.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: February 26, 2011, 12:28:58 PM »
They've been playing a lot of South Side lately.  And, other tracks by Matchbox Twenty besides "Bent" and "Bright Lights."

At least they've added a bunch of currents.  It seems like for the past few years, they've added like what...one or two every month?  (Until they added the new music nights, which was pretty cool.)  Neon Trees, Amos Lee, Jack Johnson, M. Franti, Keane, & The Arcade Fire seem to have been officially added in the past week -- nothing too exciting, but at least they're trying. 

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: February 26, 2011, 12:44:02 PM »
They've been playing a lot of South Side lately.  And, other tracks by Matchbox Twenty besides "Bent" and "Bright Lights."

At least they've added a bunch of currents.  It seems like for the past few years, they've added like what...one or two every month?  (Until they added the new music nights, which was pretty cool.)  Neon Trees, Amos Lee, Jack Johnson, M. Franti, Keane, & The Arcade Fire seem to have been officially added in the past week -- nothing too exciting, but at least they're trying. 

The Franti & Jack Johnson are things they'd've played no matter who was in charge; Arcade Fire are getting a bump from the Grammys.  All are on the Triple-A airplay chart, so... yeah, hardly adventurous.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: February 26, 2011, 01:33:18 PM »
They've been playing a lot of South Side lately.  And, other tracks by Matchbox Twenty besides "Bent" and "Bright Lights."

At least they've added a bunch of currents.  It seems like for the past few years, they've added like what...one or two every month?  (Until they added the new music nights, which was pretty cool.)  Neon Trees, Amos Lee, Jack Johnson, M. Franti, Keane, & The Arcade Fire seem to have been officially added in the past week -- nothing too exciting, but at least they're trying.  

The Franti & Jack Johnson are things they'd've played no matter who was in charge; Arcade Fire are getting a bump from the Grammys.  All are on the Triple-A airplay chart, so... yeah, hardly adventurous.

I'd generally agree about Frant/JJ being things they'd normally play, but lately it seems they've even been ignoring many songs by "core" artists (the latest by Sheryl Crow and KT Turnstile come to mind.)  Also, the Franti song is on its way out so I doubt they'd have added it if Constantine (or a PD, in general) hadn't taken over.  I guess there aren't too many slots open when KFOG only adds a song and a half per month  ::)  In the past two years, for the vast majority of the songs they did add, they didn't add them until they were already Top 5 or 10, there were a handful of exceptions they added earlier but those were songs by artists that were bound to become hits anyway (i.e. David Gray).  As far as I can recall, from that time period they played a grand total of one song that didn't do too well on the charts - "Last Summer" by Pete Yorn.

Speaking of, who was in charge of adding new music before this anyway, considering there was no PD?  Kelly Ransford?  The bigwigs at Cumulus?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 01:35:32 PM by radical347 »

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: February 26, 2011, 01:39:22 PM »
They've been playing a lot of South Side lately.  

I noticed that, too.  2 days in a row at almost the same time!  Maybe they're on autopilot.   ;)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: February 26, 2011, 05:38:47 PM »
I'd generally agree about Frant/JJ being things they'd normally play, but lately it seems they've even been ignoring many songs by "core" artists (the latest by Sheryl Crow and KT Turnstile come to mind.)  Also, the Franti song is on its way out so I doubt they'd have added it if Constantine (or a PD, in general) hadn't taken over.  I guess there aren't too many slots open when KFOG only adds a song and a half per month  ::)  In the past two years, for the vast majority of the songs they did add, they didn't add them until they were already Top 5 or 10, there were a handful of exceptions they added earlier but those were songs by artists that were bound to become hits anyway (i.e. David Gray).  As far as I can recall, from that time period they played a grand total of one song that didn't do too well on the charts - "Last Summer" by Pete Yorn.

Speaking of, who was in charge of adding new music before this anyway, considering there was no PD?  Kelly Ransford?  The bigwigs at Cumulus?

Yeah, Ransford was nominally in charge. And getting no direction from Cumulus (or any hint of whether she might move up and become PD), which is supposedly why she bolted for Seattle.  KFOG has long been slow on the uptake with new stuff -- I remember Alice playing New Radicals' "You get what you give" for months before KFOG finally added it (and then they played it to death for a year). I heard "Kandi" on The Peak quite a while before KFOG added it. And so on.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: March 03, 2011, 08:17:08 AM »
woke up this morning to Dylan's "Positively 4th St" which I'm sure has not been in KFOG rotation for, like, ever. So the new PD is def trying to "tweak" things. 

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1901 on: March 03, 2011, 08:44:03 PM »
woke up this morning to Dylan's "Positively 4th St" which I'm sure has not been in KFOG rotation for, like, ever. So the new PD is def trying to "tweak" things. 
Wow! What time was that?  We usually listen from about 6:00-6:45, then I'm done KFOGgin' for the day, unless I catch the replay at night.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: March 03, 2011, 09:43:36 PM »
Wow! What time was that?  We usually listen from about 6:00-6:45, then I'm done KFOGgin' for the day, unless I catch the replay at night.

around 5:40a.

meanwhile just heard the most horrid segue ever: from Sublime's "Santeria" (which KFOG is playing again after laying off it for awhile) into "My Sweet Lord". Yeesh.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 09:59:29 PM by RGMike »

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: March 05, 2011, 09:15:16 PM »
Listening to KFOG now and I could've sworn the DJ said he was the new PD.  He definitely said he was from KINK in Portland.  In the next set, he played the Band wannabes Avett Brothers, Weezer, Prince (!), Crowded House, R.E.M.,mom jeans David Gray and Depeche Mode.  Nice variety (for KFOG), no?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: March 05, 2011, 09:28:31 PM »
Listening to KFOG now and I could've sworn the DJ said he was the new PD.  He definitely said he was from KINK in Portland.  In the next set, he played the Band wannabes Avett Brothers, Weezer, Prince (!), Crowded House, R.E.M.,mom jeans David Gray and Depeche Mode.  Nice variety (for KFOG), no?

I swear I was just about to say "don't worry, they'll be back to Kings of Leon and Coldplay any minute"... and sure enuf...