Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096524 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1875 on: January 31, 2011, 11:01:43 AM »
From the KFOG FB page:

"Wednesday is Groundhog Day and we plan on celebrating by playing the song that you’d like to wake up to…just like Bill Murray waking up to Sonny and Cher’s “I Got You Babe” in the movie! Simply tell us what time you wake up and what song you’d like to hear playing on your alarm clock radio and we’ll do our best to get it on.

Should be ...fun!"

"Can you stream NPR at about 6:50?  that's what I hear when I wake up."

Ha! I'm tempted to post "please play some Natalie Merchant for Big Rick Stuart"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: February 07, 2011, 06:56:57 PM »
From TripleARadio.com...

The good news is, KFOG finally hired a PD:

"KFOG San Francisco-San Jose has named veteran Triple A PD Dennis Constantine Program Director. The Cumulus station had been operating without a PD since the departure of Dave Benson for KMTT Seattle in the summer of 2009. Dennis joins KFOG following a career programming some of the top Triple A stations in the west. He recently concluded a thirteen year run as PD of KINK Portland. A pioneer in the format, Dennis was the original PD at KBCO Boulder in 1977"

The bad news is they lost Kelly Ransford, who got tired of working in a directionless environment:

"Longtime KFOG APD/MD Kelly Ransford left KFOG last week to join her old boss Dave Benson up at KMTT Seattle as morning show co-host and Producer. KFOG afternoon/evening host "Big Rick" Stuart exited the station last month after over a decade."
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 08:56:22 PM by RGMike »

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: February 07, 2011, 07:21:45 PM »
From TripleARadio.com...

"KFOG San Francisco-San Jose has named veteran Triple A PD Dennis Constantine Program Director. The Cumulus station had been operating without a PD since the departure of Dave Benson for KMTT Seattle in the summer of 2009. Dennis joins KFOG following a career programming some of the top Triple A stations in the west. He recently concluded a thirteen year run as PD of KINK Portland. A pioneer in the format, Dennis was the original PD at KBCO Boulder in 1977"

The bad news is they lost Kelly Ransforsd, who got tired of working in a directionless environment:

"Longtime KFOG APD/MD Kelly Ransford left KFOG last week to join her old boss Dave Benson up at KMTT Seattle as morning show co-host and Producer. KFOG afternoon/evening host "Big Rick" Stuart exited the station last month after over a decade."

Great news about finally getting a PD!  KINK-fm usually has a good playlist & they have among the best Live CDs each year.  I hope he can whack KFOG into shape, although it is much better than it was a year or two ago.

Too bad about Kelly Ransford.  Though to be frank, I'm not really sure what the hell the point of her being at KFOG was anyway.  I hope the new music nights can continue. (Did anyone notice a few weeks ago when they tried to name the new-music-at-nights "The Sonic Salon"?  That lasted like...2 days. Lol.)

In other news...guess what our friend Scott F. posted on AL's fb page ( ::) ): "I just wanna lick a you ice cream..." (I know it's from the Shawn Mullins song, but still...)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: February 07, 2011, 10:06:39 PM »
From TripleARadio.com...

The bad news is they lost Kelly Ransforsd, who got tired of working in a directionless environment:

Great news about finally getting a PD!  KINK-fm usually has a good playlist & they have among the best Live CDs each year.  I hope he can whack KFOG into shape, although it is much better than it was a year or two ago.

Too bad about Kelly Ransford.  Though to be frank, I'm not really sure what the hell the point of her being at KFOG was anyway.  I hope the new music nights can continue. (Did anyone notice a few weeks ago when they tried to name the new-music-at-nights "The Sonic Salon"?  That lasted like...2 days. Lol.)

In other news...guess what our friend Scott F. posted on AL's fb page ( ::) ): "I just wanna lick a you ice cream..." (I know it's from the Shawn Mullins song, but still...)

Not sure how thrilled I am about this new hire, as I never thought KINK was all that great in the couple of years I've lived in the Portland area. Pretty wimpy, actually. Although change is generally a good thing, so if he can get a feel for the vibe of the bay area audience, it could be a plus. I'll be anxious to hear what you all have to say about their sound in the coming weeks.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: February 08, 2011, 07:50:36 AM »
Not sure how thrilled I am about this new hire, as I never thought KINK was all that great in the couple of years I've lived in the Portland area. Pretty wimpy, actually. Although change is generally a good thing, so if he can get a feel for the vibe of the bay area audience, it could be a plus. I'll be anxious to hear what you all have to say about their sound in the coming weeks.

My feeling is, KFOG is already pretty wimpy, what with all the Feistalikes and Soccer-Mom faves like DMB, Cold PlayTrol  and Jack Johnson.  So he's probably a good fit.  The question is, with THREE Classic Rockers on all sides, does KFOG continue to be Classics-heavy or does it try to "go younger". And remember, Constantine is the guy who discontinued 10@10 at KINK...

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: February 08, 2011, 09:08:49 AM »

My feeling is, KFOG is already pretty wimpy, what with all the Feistalikes and Soccer-Mom faves like DMB, Cold PlayTrol  and Jack Johnson.  So he's probably a good fit.  The question is, with THREE Classic Rockers on all sides, does KFOG continue to be Classics-heavy or does it try to "go younger". And remember, Constantine is the guy who discontinued 10@10 at KINK...

Re 10@10, he'd be a fool to do that in SF. It's still KFOG's marquee franchise (know many people who are passionate about Live from the Archives?), whereas in Portland I think it was tried for a while and bagged when the locals didn't get on board.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: February 08, 2011, 11:19:49 AM »
this has me thinking about making a pre-emptive strike & letting Constantine know just how important 10@10 is to the Bay Area audience.   Social Media anyone?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: February 08, 2011, 11:52:10 AM »
this has me thinking about making a pre-emptive strike & letting Constantine know just how important 10@10 is to the Bay Area audience.   Social Media anyone?

KFOG gets a significant ratings "spike" in the 10:00 hour, so I'm sure he's aware. I don't think he'd get rid of it, but if they decide to change their demographic focus,  we could get less '60s/more '90s. 

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1883 on: February 21, 2011, 07:57:22 AM »
do they play "Sledgehammer" every morning?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: February 21, 2011, 09:17:08 AM »
do they play "Sledgehammer" every morning?

right between "Rocket Man" and "Under Pressure"  ;)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: February 22, 2011, 11:16:39 PM »
Programming looked pretty "regular" tonight. :(  I wonder if their new/experimental nights are gone, though it was nice while it lasted.

Yesterday they were kicking some serious @$$ with the not-so-new songs tho, during the first hour they played Snow Patrol "Run" and Tears for Fears "Pale Shelter."

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: February 23, 2011, 08:40:04 PM »

Programming looked pretty "regular" tonight. :(  I wonder if their new/experimental nights are gone, though it was nice while it lasted.

Yesterday they were kicking some serious @$$ with the not-so-new songs tho, during the first hour they played Snow Patrol "Run" and Tears for Fears "Pale Shelter."

I've always wondered why the only Smashing Pumpkins song KFOG ever played for the past 10 years was "1979" and was rather gobsmacked yesterday when I heard "Today" in the 1:00 hour.  Have to ask Darryl to check that out.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: February 23, 2011, 10:02:32 PM »

I turned them on around 9:30 and heard Marvin Gaye, so I assume the "new music" block is dead. OTOH, They were still calling the Sunday nite 9-11 slot "The KFOG Sideshow" despite Kelly R being gone.

Meanwhile I had The Band on in the car for about 20 minutes and got to hear both "Margatritaville" AND "Killer Queen" !

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: February 24, 2011, 09:56:57 AM »
The Morning show will be doing a movie-themed "Request-O-Rama-O-Rama" tomorrow (Fri) as an Oscar thing.  I'm guessing AL will do a 10@10 Oscar set too.  (Bob's even doing one on the Drive!)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: February 24, 2011, 10:32:19 AM »
As of yesterday the 10@10 Channel on HD2 has disappeared.  Hope it's not permanent though I fear it is.  Too bad--just got around to getting an HD2 radio two weeks ago and was digging hearing the old Dave replays.