Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096582 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1830 on: January 12, 2011, 10:10:35 PM »
Dunno if it's supposed to be a regular feature or just coincidence, but for 3 days in a row, at around 6:40am, Webster has played a "deep track" that isn't in regular KFOG rotation. Monday it was "Girls on Film" (which showed up again 4 hours later on 10@10); yesterday it was "Oh Well" (the loooong version, which led to a discussion in which Irish Greg made fun of it); and this morning it was "Cantaloop".

Oh and hope Geoff heard the Request-O-Rama winner's prize track this morning: "Mission in the Rain" by Jerry Garcia.
yes, I heard it, and was somewhat shocked!  On the previous day, I was the first caller they played back after "Oh Well."  Irish Greg was going off on how long a song should be, and I made some crack about how he'd probably explode or something (other words I can't remember right now) during the introspective part 2!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1831 on: January 12, 2011, 10:11:33 PM »

Somebody make Pat Monahan STOP!!!

I can't in any way disagree...thought so 12 yrs ago & haven't stopped thinking so.  That being said...he is still only in his apprenticeship vis a vis Michael Bolton in the category of high-paid assassins of beloved classics.

IMHO

Turned out I misread AL's post; she was calling TOP's original a "Soul Train" version, or something. So we're spared Train's version of "SVHTG"... for now.  But the Daryl Hall special on NYE pointed up the diff between Todd Rundgren's great cover of H&O's "Wait For Me" (he did it on Hall's web show and you can find it on YT) and Train's version of the same tune (which aired on the TV show).

I mistakenly read that too, before I figured it out!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: January 13, 2011, 08:33:31 AM »
As related in the 1/12/11 KFOG 10@10 thread, there's a reason Big Rick ended his show last nite with the 15-minute live version of "Freebird" -- it was his last KFOG show. He Tweeted this morning that he'll show up somewhere else "fairly soon" but he couldn't elaborate. 

WTFF?

ETA: someone on the radio-info.com SF message board posted yesterday afternoon that Thurs nite was "your last chance to hear Big Rick on KFOG" but I didn't see that until just now. Wow.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 08:56:23 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: January 13, 2011, 09:56:03 AM »
I'm in a state of disbelief.  He's been my favorite DJ since the mid 80s!!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: January 13, 2011, 11:10:29 AM »
As related in the 1/12/11 KFOG 10@10 thread, there's a reason Big Rick ended his show last nite with the 15-minute live version of "Freebird" -- it was his last KFOG show. He Tweeted this morning that he'll show up somewhere else "fairly soon" but he couldn't elaborate. 

WTFF?

ETA: someone on the radio-info.com SF message board posted yesterday afternoon that Thurs nite was "your last chance to hear Big Rick on KFOG" but I didn't see that until just now. Wow.
He posted on his FB page
Sharks bleed teal.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: January 13, 2011, 11:29:19 AM »

WTFF?

He posted on his FB page

Too bad.  he's probably the most interesting dj in the room station. 

"I don't always listen to KFOG ...  but when I do, it's Big Rick Stuart (and 10at10)."
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: January 13, 2011, 11:35:36 AM »
"I don't always listen to KFOG ...  but when I do, it's Big Rick Stuart (and 10at10)."

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: January 13, 2011, 11:39:23 AM »

Stay rockin', my friends...

« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 10:52:35 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: January 13, 2011, 03:30:55 PM »
That was fast: Big Rick has already been removed from the KFOG website.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: January 13, 2011, 03:34:59 PM »

Paging Ben Fong-Torres.... We need the real dirt on this.

ETA: Just looked at BR's FB page. Around 7pm last night he posted a hint that something was up: A Youtube link to a video of Freebird, with the comment "Play it pretty for Atlanta. Big announcement on my show at 9:40pm tonight." A couple of hours later (after the he'd signed off, one assumes), Annalisa responded with a link to a vid of Roy Rogers (the one with Dale and Trigger, not Norton Buffalo) doing Happy Trails.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 03:48:40 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: January 13, 2011, 03:51:42 PM »

Ben F-T's columns run bi-weekly, so I guess we gotta wait until Sunday the 23rd at the earliest for his scoop.

Gotta say Rick's been a lucky guy: grew up here and worked at The Quake, Live 105 and KFOG -- not many radio people are so fortunate. Gotta assume his next gig is either at The Band or K-FOX.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 03:55:40 PM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: January 13, 2011, 04:52:05 PM »

Ben F-T's columns run bi-weekly, so I guess we gotta wait until Sunday the 23rd at the earliest for his scoop.

Gotta say Rick's been a lucky guy: grew up here and worked at The Quake, Live 105 and KFOG -- not many radio people are so fortunate. Gotta assume his next gig is either at The Band or K-FOX.

his official site currently says this:

http://www.bigrick.com/

"Here is the rather simple home of the radio DJ Big Rick Stuart.
I've been on a lot of great radio stations in San Francisco. I know you're asking yourself

oh K where will you GO? well hopefully some FM in SAN FRANCISCO.

Call or text 510 85 GO BIG

Twitter   Facebook   Email"

~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: January 13, 2011, 08:32:12 PM »

I've been on a lot of great radio stations in San Francisco. I know you're asking yourself

Anyone know if his wife is still doing radio? (She was "Audio Vidya" on Live 105 for a while)  Gotta wonder what this was all about -- money, presumably. Or maybe he was hoping they'd make him PD after Benson left.  He left Live 105 because he was unhappy with their clampdown, wanting him to talk less and less between songs.  But KFOG isn't much better in that department these days, and none of the other stations in town are any different.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: January 13, 2011, 09:08:38 PM »

Anyone know if his wife is still doing radio? (She was "Audio Vidya" on Live 105 for a while) 
They were married??  Well, I'll be!  He made a snide remark about an ex-wife on his FB page not too long ago.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: January 14, 2011, 10:59:58 AM »

Call or text 510 85 GO BIG

Twitter   Facebook   Email"

And he started out on KUSF prior to the Quake, so most if not all of his career has been in the SF market.

He can't be hinting that he's going to KGO? I mean, a job's a job and all, but that just doesn't make sense.
Let's get right to it.