Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096601 times)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1785 on: November 09, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
You may have noticed this on your recent Foghead email: "Programming alert: Dave Morey checks in with the KFOG Morning Show at 7:45 am tomorrow (Wed 11/10) to tell us what he's been up to in retirement."  Wonder if he'll take some calls from listeners?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: November 09, 2010, 03:36:51 PM »
You may have noticed this on your recent Foghead email: "Programming alert: Dave Morey checks in with the KFOG Morning Show at 7:45 am tomorrow (Wed 11/10) to tell us what he's been up to in retirement."  Wonder if he'll take some calls from listeners?

presumably he's plugging the Glenn Burke docu on Comcast tomo'w nite.

ETA: love the Foghead who commented "KFOG is ruined by CUMULUS."
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 05:35:41 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: November 10, 2010, 09:58:37 AM »

anyone hear the Dave call? I totally forgot.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: November 10, 2010, 01:03:35 PM »
Has anyone already bought/planning to get KFOG Live from the Archives 17?  It looks like it's starting to sell out at a few places, though I imagine it'll be around for a few more weeks, at least.

I haven't decided yet.  Previous volumes have had 16-17 tracks but this one only has 12 @ the same price, and I'm so incredibly non-plussed by the lineup.  I wasn't thrilled about last year's either, but that one's genius compared to this one.  :-\

It feels like they didn't put too much thought into this one.  Most of the current tracks (Greg Laswell, M. Franti/Spearhead, Train, John Butler Trio, Brandi Carlisle) are found on other AAA samplers this year.  Then many of the other tracks are puzzling.  Ziggy Marley?  That perfomance was from '06.  He wasn't too relevant then, and he's even less relevant now.  Ray LaMontagne has a new song and album out, so what's with throwing in a song from '05?  Same with Sarah McLesbian and '04.  (Although, to be fair, this version of "Possession" is absolutely flawless -- whereas most of the other recordings on this album leave something to be desired, imo.)  Then that Kenny White track sticks out like a sore thumb.  It's fine in one of these, but against everything else (and especially as the last track) it's like they just threw in a track at the end by someone of that obscurity just to throw in a track by someone of that obscurity.  If it was someone who came into the studio this past year and were blown away with then I could see it, but it's well over a year old so it would have made more sense on last year's.  So really the only tracks that even make sense are ALO, The Dead, and Jackie Greene, the latter two which I'm not too thrilled about anyway and ALO can't save this album.

I have 3-16, so the only reason I would pick this one up is to be a completist.  At least the cover art is good, though KFOG usually does fare pretty well in that dept.  Ho-hum.  This one may be one to wait for Amoeba, although maybe not as the last few volumes still seem to be holding up their price fairly well.  (Some of the middle-early volumes, on the other hand, like the ones from 6-12, are way cheap now.)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: November 10, 2010, 01:15:03 PM »
Has anyone already bought/planning to get KFOG Live from the Archives 17? 

Like John Lennon before me, I've always preferred the orig studio version of just-about-anything to a live version. I've often wondered why most of the "Archives" tracks are re-dos -- sometime very faithful re-dos -- of already extant songs rather than, say, interesting cover versions that would be more valuable as "collectors items". And, as a collector of Xmas music, I'd really like to see them do a Holiday Archives set one year -- they surely have enough artists doing Xmas songs in their vaults to fill a CD.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 10:57:37 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: November 11, 2010, 09:49:44 AM »

anyone hear the Dave call? I totally forgot.

they played part of it this morning in the 6:00 hour; Dave sounds rested and seems to be enjoying life. And the docu last nite was quite well-done, and the panel discussion afterwards (I only caught the beginning) was encouraging. I now love Drew Remenda even more, if that's possible.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: November 11, 2010, 10:52:56 AM »
they played part of it this morning in the 6:00 hour; Dave sounds rested and seems to be enjoying life. And the docu last nite was quite well-done, and the panel discussion afterwards (I only caught the beginning) was encouraging. I now love Drew Remenda even more, if that's possible.

I watched the doc last night, very interesting and well done.  I was oblivious at the time, and had no idea any of that was going on.  I wasn't an A's fan, and DEFINITELY not a Dodger fan, and have never paid much attention to the gossipy aspects of sports journalism, so I'm not surprised it all flew under my radar.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: November 11, 2010, 10:56:02 AM »

I watched the doc last night, very interesting and well done.  I was oblivious at the time, and had no idea any of that was going on.  I wasn't an A's fan, and DEFINITELY not a Dodger fan, and have never paid much attention to the gossipy aspects of sports journalism, so I'm not surprised it all flew under my radar.

I don't think anybody was writing about it in '77/'78. But I do remember when the interview in Inside Sports came out. (I'd forgotten all about that magazine)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1793 on: November 11, 2010, 05:42:42 PM »
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: November 11, 2010, 05:43:20 PM »
5:42 PM Muse "Starlight"

I haven't heard this on KFOG, ever.  The only time I've even heard Muse is during their new music hr/side show/now new music nights and it's only been "Uprising."

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: November 11, 2010, 07:21:49 PM »
5:42 PM Muse "Starlight"

I haven't heard this on KFOG, ever.  The only time I've even heard Muse is during their new music hr/side show/now new music nights and it's only been "Uprising."

Someone on AL's FB page today said "Is it my imagination or is KFOG playing a lot of new music?"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: November 17, 2010, 08:07:12 AM »
Renee redeems herself requestfully: This morning's Request-O-Rama winner couldn't think of a song so he asked Renee to play "an '80s nugget of her choosing". And amazingly, she picked "Girlfriend in a Coma", which I don't think I've EVER heard on KFOG.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: November 17, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
Renee redeems herself requestfully: This morning's Request-O-Rama winner couldn't think of a song so he asked Renee to play "an '80s nugget of her choosing". And amazingly, she picked "Girlfriend in a Coma", which I don't think I've EVER heard on KFOG.

wow, and to think there were times when I could have strangled her musical choices.  :)
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: November 17, 2010, 11:26:10 AM »
They played a song last night at about 9:55 pm, w the recorded into which says "Here's something new."  I thought I recognized Ian McCullough's voice, and chked the "Just Played" module on kfog.com to find it was Echo and The Bunnymen's Think I Need It Too.   Turns out it was a single they released in Sept 09.  Not bad --I'll take most Echo over a lot of stuff -- but not altogether satisfying either.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: November 17, 2010, 05:47:06 PM »
I'm tempted to start a separate "Fogheads are Stupid" thread, but I'll put this here for now: an actual, serious question asked by our good buddy Scott Fisher on FB:

"Can you flip a 33 1/3 over to listen to the other side?"

*ahem*