Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096536 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1755 on: October 07, 2010, 09:49:57 AM »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: October 07, 2010, 10:04:08 AM »
does anyone besides me find those KFOG stream commercials featuring "Dan Dibbly" grating?   and WTF is "quersatin?"

Yes, and I'm also getting sick to death of "missed-your opportunity" in the Toyota of El Cerrito ads that precede the stream on the player. The least they could do is get a new spot once in a while.

I WANT TO PUNCH THAT SMUG GUY
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: October 07, 2010, 10:11:11 AM »
does anyone besides me find those KFOG stream commercials featuring "Dan Dibbly" grating?   and WTF is "quersatin?"

Yes, and I'm also getting sick to death of "missed-your opportunity" in the Toyota of El Cerrito ads that precede the stream on the player. The least they could do is get a new spot once in a while.

I WANT TO PUNCH THAT SMUG GUY

http://www.adjab.com/2006/08/23/i-hate-mr-opportunity/

« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 10:13:05 AM by RGMike »

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: October 08, 2010, 11:11:09 AM »
I was the winner of this morning's Request o' Rama just before 8AM and asked for the Beatles "You Know My Name (look up the number)" (the B-side of the single "Let It Be") as I wanted something rare and different.  After the play, Irish Greg said 'I thought the worst Beatles song was Bungalow Bill, but that was the worst.'  Renee said she liked it.  Webster said, 'Some listeners are thinking, hey Its You Know My Name!, while others are thinking 'that's 4-minutes of my life I'll never get back.'   By the way, when I made my request, Renee commented that I sounded like the voice for Moviephone, because I purposely used my upbeat announcer voice for the game.  Hey, it's the radio, you're supposed to sound upbeat when you win!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: October 08, 2010, 11:22:13 AM »
I was the winner of this morning's Request o' Rama just before 8AM and asked for the Beatles "You Know My Name (look up the number)" (the B-side of the single "Let It Be") as I wanted something rare and different.  After the play, Irish Greg said 'I thought the worst Beatles song was Bungalow Bill, but that was the worst.'  Renee said she liked it.  Webster said, 'Some listeners are thinking, hey Its You Know My Name!, while others are thinking 'that's 4-minutes of my life I'll never get back.'   By the way, when I made my request, Renee commented that I sounded like the voice for Moviephone, because I purposely used my upbeat announcer voice for the game.  Hey, it's the radio, you're supposed to sound upbeat when you win!

LOL!  It *is* on many lists of "worst Beatles songs". It seems to be generational -- younger folks tend to hate it.  I'd argue it was appropriate for John's Birthday in that it's all about his love for "The Goon Show" (Peter Sellers, et al on the BBC in the late '50s). And I've a fondness for it for just that reason; some of the Goon shows were resurrected in the early '70s on NYC radio and they're hilarious. But I can understand how not getting the references makes it seem endless.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: October 08, 2010, 11:22:21 AM »

awesome. how did you win?  what was the question they asked.
~CPL593H~

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: October 08, 2010, 01:25:39 PM »
LOL!  It *is* on many lists of "worst Beatles songs". It seems to be generational -- younger folks tend to hate it.  I'd argue it was appropriate for John's Birthday in that it's all about his love for "The Goon Show" (Peter Sellers, et al on the BBC in the late '50s). And I've a fondness for it for just that reason; some of the Goon shows were resurrected in the early '70s on NYC radio and they're hilarious. But I can understand how not getting the references makes it seem endless.
YES, inspired by Peter Sellers Goon Show and I picked it for John's b'day!  After the song played this morning they aired another caller who clarified that it was the B-side of 'Let It Be' and mentioned that it was in the style of the Bonzo Dog Band of that era (and even Monty Python).  British humor doesn't always translate well to this side of the Pond.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: October 08, 2010, 01:30:25 PM »
I was the winner of this morning's Request o' Rama just before 8AM and asked for the Beatles "You Know My Name (look up the number)" (the B-side of the single "Let It Be") as I wanted something rare and different.  After the play, Irish Greg said 'I thought the worst Beatles song was Bungalow Bill, but that was the worst.'  Renee said she liked it.  Webster said, 'Some listeners are thinking, hey Its You Know My Name!, while others are thinking 'that's 4-minutes of my life I'll never get back.'   By the way, when I made my request, Renee commented that I sounded like the voice for Moviephone, because I purposely used my upbeat announcer voice for the game.  Hey, it's the radio, you're supposed to sound upbeat when you win!
The question was, "What is the only non-human to have appeared simultaneously on the covers of Time, Newsweek and Sports Illustrated?"  I guessed "Secretariat" since that movie opens this weekend!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 07:00:56 AM by Wayback »

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1763 on: October 08, 2010, 09:32:58 PM »

I'll never forgive them.  When I won request-o-rama, they wouldn't play my request, Peter Green's Supernatural.  One of the most famous guitar tracks in history, and yet they played some album cut from Bow Wow Wow the other day.  Grrrr....
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: October 17, 2010, 01:21:36 PM »
Looks like the "cherries on the branch" is this year's Live From The Archives CD cover art contest winner.  Good choice.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: October 19, 2010, 12:18:13 PM »
Looks like the "cherries on the branch" is this year's Live From The Archives CD cover art contest winner.  Good choice.

Agreed.  I remember there were a few good choices this year.

The tracklisting is up:

*1. Michael Franti & Spearhead - "The Sound Of Sunshine"
KFOG Private Concert 7/9/10

*2. Brandi Carlile - "Dreams"
KFOG Private Concert 10/20/09

*3. Ray LaMontagne - "Jolene"
KFOG Private Concert @ Ex'pression College 1/30/05

4. Train - "Save Me, San Francisco"
KFOG Private Concert 12/14/09

5. John Butler Trio - "One Way Road"
KFOG KaBoom @ Candlestick Park 5/22/10

6. Ziggy Marley - "Love Is My Religion"
KFOG Private Concert 10/16/06

7. ALO - "I Love Music"
KFOG Private Concert 2/4/10

8. Greg Laswell - "Take Everything"
KFOG Private Concert 3/10/10

*9. Sarah McLachlan - "Possession"
KFOG Private Concert @ Fantasy Studios 8/23/04

*10. Jackie Greene - "Medicine"
KFOG Private Concert 6/28/10

*11. The Dead - "I Know You Rider"
KFOG Private Concert 5/11/09

12. Kenny White - "Gotta Sing High"
KFOG Morning Show 12/10/08

Meh.  Only 12 tracks?  None of which really excite me either, although I heard that version of "Possession" & it's pretty good.  Previous years have had 16-17.  I wonder if it'll still be $16.99.  This may be one to wait for Amoeba, but we'll see.  Can't win one this time as I'm still in the 60 day window from David Gray tickets.

I know they sell out every year as they're limited, but when was the last time it sold out fast?  I'm thinking back to #9, when it sold out online in one day.  #s 10 and 11 took a few days.  Subsequent volumes seemed to be available for much longer.

Full info can be found here:
http://www.kfog.com/Pages/LFTA17/LFTA17Main/tabid/1397/Default.aspx

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: October 20, 2010, 02:36:40 PM »
Joel Selvin was on the KFOG morning show talking about how horrible of a person Sheryl Crow was during her quest for fame.  I couldn't agree more.  She is the single worst celebrity encounter I've ever experienced.  Ugh.  Sharon Stone gets honorable mention.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: October 20, 2010, 09:41:39 PM »
Joel Selvin was on the KFOG morning show talking about how horrible of a person Sheryl Crow was during her quest for fame.  I couldn't agree more.  She is the single worst celebrity encounter I've ever experienced.  Ugh.  Sharon Stone gets honorable mention.

ROTFL! Sheryl 'Ho, a bad person? Shocker! (Guess Joel Sevin's the only guy she HASN'T slept with!)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1768 on: October 21, 2010, 05:56:55 PM »

ROTFL! Sheryl 'Ho, a bad person? Shocker! (Guess Joel Sevin's the only guy she HASN'T slept with!)
A friend of mine was the bass player on the first album, and he didn't appreciate how she dumped them.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: October 22, 2010, 07:37:28 AM »
interesting M3S on the morning show, for Guster tix. First song was "Satellite" by DMB. And I thought, "Please please PLEASE play 'Satellite of love' by Lou Reed..." And they did! And a Foghead thought it was by... Cake. (OK, I understand that in theory, but still)  3rd song was Guster's "Satellite", natch. But apparently NOBODY was able to ID Lou Reed. Sad.