Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096517 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1725 on: August 03, 2010, 07:36:53 AM »
This morning a Request-O-Rama winner wanted to hear "Cover of the Rolling Stone", which was amusing all by itself, but he gave the artist's name as "Dr. John Hook" -- LOL!  Man, I know the '70s kinda blend together for some people, but this is redonkulous.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: August 18, 2010, 10:45:19 AM »
I'm not a big Sarah Maclachlan fan, but hearing her trying to be a Feist-alike on her new (and already overplayed) song is rather sad, IMHO.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: August 19, 2010, 12:55:15 PM »
Whatever happened to A-Z week on KFOG?  Is it gone forever?  Can we start a campaign to bring it back?

It's usually an annual event; I'm trying to remember the last time they did it. Has it really been more than a year?  It tends to be better the longer it runs (10 days or more is ideal), but when they try to cram it into exactly 7 days (as they have sometimes done) you really notice how many obvious songs get left out.

They did it at the beginning of '09 and it was pretty bad.  It was the entire 'overplay' section of their catalog, just in alphabetical order.  The only song I heard that wasn't an overplay was "Beautiful Side of Somewhere" from the Wallflowers.  When they did A-Z in '08 it was much better.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: August 19, 2010, 12:58:02 PM »
Gotta say I like (on first hearing) this Ray LaMontaigne song they just played, "Beg Steal or Borrow " -- very late-'60s/early '70s folk-protest vibe, a bit of early Joni in there too. Nice.

Heh, as soon as I saw his name I turned the volume down for 4 minutes.  I don't get the love for him and Bon Iver.

I too despise the Ray LaMontagne song and everything else by him. (When you start with 'Trouble, trouble, trouble, worry, worry, worry, I was saaaaaaaaaaaaved by a woman'...umm...yeah...).  Give me 'Cold Platrol' anyday. :)

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: August 19, 2010, 02:18:45 PM »
I'm not a big Sarah Maclachlan fan, but hearing her trying to be a Feist-alike on her new (and already overplayed) song is rather sad, IMHO.

Sounds more Debby Boone-ish to me - lyrically, at least.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: September 03, 2010, 10:02:20 PM »
Does Krukow still do a weekly Giants chat on the Morning Show? It occurred to me this morning I hadn't heard them promo him in a while; they were going on incessantly about their various ticket giveaways and all their other guests but he wasn't mentioned. G-Men are in LA so it's not like he was in another time zone or something.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: September 05, 2010, 09:24:24 AM »
Does Krukow still do a weekly Giants chat on the Morning Show? It occurred to me this morning I hadn't heard them promo him in a while; they were going on incessantly about their various ticket giveaways and all their other guests but he wasn't mentioned. G-Men are in LA so it's not like he was in another time zone or something.
re: morning show. I like Kruk and also don't recall hearing him.  I am tiring of the morning show. It's not the personalities but mostly the music. I need to find a new station for the clock radio wake up music.
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1732 on: September 05, 2010, 04:54:35 PM »
re: morning show. I like Kruk and also don't recall hearing him.  I am tiring of the morning show. It's not the personalities but mostly the music. I need to find a new station for the clock radio wake up music.
Well, the music is not so good, but without dear snarky, beautiful Dave in the studio, it all sounds a little shrill to me.  It's OK for my morning oatmeal, but I listen to Green960 for my 17 minute ride to school in the morning.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: September 05, 2010, 05:07:33 PM »
Well, the music is not so good, but without dear snarky, beautiful Dave in the studio, it all sounds a little shrill to me.  It's OK for my morning oatmeal, but I listen to Green960 for my 17 minute ride to school in the morning.

I'm not fond of the show either; musically it's really gotten ridiculous (how many times a week do they play "Rocket Man" fer cryin' out loud?) but I only listen for an hour and have other options via internet at work.  But KFOG is still the least objectionable choice for over-the-air radio. I've no use for Renel, Lamont & Tonelli, or Fernando & Greg.  And now KPIG-AM is gone.  Tomorrow will be my first weekday holiday morning without the Pig.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1734 on: September 05, 2010, 05:09:13 PM »

I'm not fond of the show either; musically it's really gotten ridiculous (how many times a week do they play "Rocket Man" fer cryin' out loud?) but I only listen for an hour and have other options via internet at work.  But KFOG is still the least objectionable choice for over-the-air radio. I've no use for Renel, Lamont & Tonelli, or Fernando & Greg.  And now KPIG-AM is gone.  Tomorrow will be my first weekday holiday morning without the Pig.
I'm so sad everytime I get in the car, and think about my choices.  Sometimes I still push the button for 1510, perhaps hoping I won't hear Chinese!  It doesn't work.   :(
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: September 15, 2010, 07:58:28 AM »
Interesting concept for Friday's Morning Show: a "musical theme" will run throughout the show; every song they play (except one) will be connected in some way. You'll have to guess the connection AND name the song that's "one of these is not like the other". Irish Greg: "so it's like a My 3 Songs with ... 32 Songs!".  I'm intrigued.

BTW, Meant to mention that since there was no AT40 on KFRC Sunday morning, I woke up to 103.7 The Band. Gawd are they boring.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 08:01:31 AM by RGMike »

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: September 15, 2010, 10:31:59 PM »
Holy cow.  KFOG's 9-10 PM hour this evening (Wed. 9/15) was insane - glad I caught it.

9:03 ROBERT PLANT Angel Dance
9:06 ALEJANDRO ESCOVEDO Anchor
9:10 BAND OF HORSES Laredo
9:21 KINGS OF LEON Radioactive
9:24 ARCADE FIRE Ready to Start
9:28 RADIOHEAD Karma Police
9:33 NEON TREES Animal
9:36 FRANZ FERDINAND No You Girls
9:40 THE XX Vcr
9:43 THE BROKEN BELLS The High Road
9:54 THE BLACK KEYS Tighten Up
9:57 WILCO Heavy Metal Drummer

Only time I heard Big Rick here was after Band of Horses.  My first thought was, maybe he accidentally played the new music Thursday playlist, but it doesn't seem so since this hour skewed heavily alternative.  (The only one's that are more AAA than Alt. are the first two and perhaps Wilco at the end, which isn't new, but AFAIK KFOG hardly plays it, if ever.  Franz and Radiohead aren't new either.)  The new music hour has alternative, but it's mixed up too with AAA current hits (that KFOG doesn't regularly play  ::) ) This didn't sound like the sideshow either, since it's a bit too mainstream for that. (All of the current songs except Robert Plant and Alejandro Escovedo are/were hits on alternative, the one exception being the XX whose appearance is even more puzzling since they do have a current song on the alt. chart called "Crystalised" from the same CD.  Whereas during the sideshow you get a lot of songs that nobody's ever heard of, alternative or not.)  And yet the only ones of these regularly in KFOG's rotation are The Black Keys, Franz Ferdinand, & Robert Plant.  They played the new music sweepers before most of these songs too, even "No You Girls" by Franz Ferdinand.

Wonder what happened here.  Would love if this was a sign of things to come, although sadly I don't think that's the case.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 10:34:20 PM by radical347 »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: September 15, 2010, 11:19:06 PM »
Holy cow.  KFOG's 9-10 PM hour this evening (Wed. 9/15) was insane - glad I caught it.

9:03 ROBERT PLANT Angel Dance
9:06 ALEJANDRO ESCOVEDO Anchor
9:10 BAND OF HORSES Laredo
9:21 KINGS OF LEON Radioactive
9:24 ARCADE FIRE Ready to Start
9:28 RADIOHEAD Karma Police
9:33 NEON TREES Animal
9:36 FRANZ FERDINAND No You Girls
9:40 THE XX Vcr
9:43 THE BROKEN BELLS The High Road
9:54 THE BLACK KEYS Tighten Up
9:57 WILCO Heavy Metal Drummer

Only time I heard Big Rick here was after Band of Horses.  My first thought was, maybe he accidentally played the new music Thursday playlist, but it doesn't seem so since this hour skewed heavily alternative.  (The only one's that are more AAA than Alt. are the first two and perhaps Wilco at the end, which isn't new, but AFAIK KFOG hardly plays it, if ever.  Franz and Radiohead aren't new either.)  The new music hour has alternative, but it's mixed up too with AAA current hits (that KFOG doesn't regularly play  ::) ) This didn't sound like the sideshow either, since it's a bit too mainstream for that. (All of the current songs except Robert Plant and Alejandro Escovedo are/were hits on alternative, the one exception being the XX whose appearance is even more puzzling since they do have a current song on the alt. chart called "Crystalised" from the same CD.  Whereas during the sideshow you get a lot of songs that nobody's ever heard of, alternative or not.)  And yet the only ones of these regularly in KFOG's rotation are The Black Keys, Franz Ferdinand, & Robert Plant.  They played the new music sweepers before most of these songs too, even "No You Girls" by Franz Ferdinand.

Wonder what happened here.  Would love if this was a sign of things to come, although sadly I don't think that's the case.

I sometimes wonder if Big Rick doesn't voicetrack the last hour or two of his show. He and I are FB "friends" and I often see him posting something about his dinner some time during the 9pm hour. And it doesn't sound like it's something he'd be eating in the studio.
Let's get right to it.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: September 16, 2010, 12:07:44 AM »
10@10 (and the first few songs afterwards) were normal, but now it's continuing with the 11:00 hour -- it's definitely sideshow-ish this time, but they're still playing the new music sweepers:

11:03 PHOENIX Lasso
11:06 FOALS Total Life Forever
11:09 BECK Gamma Ray
11:19 PORTUGAL THE MAN The Sun
11:22 THE WALKMEN Angela Surf City
11:25 MGMT Kids
11:30 BRYAN FERRY You Can Dance
11:33 MAXIMUM BALLOON If You Return
11:37 JUNIP Always
11:41 BRANDON FLOWERS Crossfire
11:45 MUSE Uprising
12:03 ELBOW Grounds for Divorce
11:57 RAY LAMONTAGNE & THE PARIAH DOGS Repo Man

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: September 16, 2010, 08:10:23 AM »
10@10 (and the first few songs afterwards) were normal, but now it's continuing with the 11:00 hour -- it's definitely sideshow-ish this time, but they're still playing the new music sweepers:

unless this continues to happen every nite, I'm gonna guess the computer was mis-programmed and they played a "New Releases Thursday" playlist on Wednesday. It's *very* odd for them to go an hour without playing 3 or 4 "classic" warhorses from the '70s or '80s.

OTOH, there are rumors of Live 105 going all-sports, so maybe they're getting ready to pick up their disgruntled ex-listeners.

ETA: oh, and today is KFOG's 28th Birthday! (yes, they've already played "Rock This Town" once this morning)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 08:34:51 AM by RGMike »