Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096562 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1680 on: May 26, 2010, 11:57:08 PM »
Did I mis-time it, or was that the shortest one they've ever done? Seemed like 15-16 minutes, tops.

KFOG has the KABOOM video up on their website -- guess I was right, it was almost exactly 14 minutes. That's the shortest one that I can recall -- they were usually closer to 20 iirc, and the first year they charged admission they made a big deal about how the fireworks would be "longer", and they were what, 22 minutes?

Has anyone talked to someone who actually went? I'm very curious what the turnout was like. Were there even 5K people there? The huge promo push they gave it the last few weeks tells me it was stiffing on advance sales.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: May 31, 2010, 01:46:18 PM »
Did I mis-time it, or was that the shortest one they've ever done? Seemed like 15-16 minutes, tops.

KFOG has the KABOOM video up on their website -- guess I was right, it was almost exactly 14 minutes. That's the shortest one that I can recall -- they were usually closer to 20 iirc, and the first year they charged admission they made a big deal about how the fireworks would be "longer", and they were what, 22 minutes?

Has anyone talked to someone who actually went? I'm very curious what the turnout was like. Were there even 5K people there? The huge promo push they gave it the last few weeks tells me it was stiffing on advance sales.

Well, it's been a week, and I've seen very little about it anywhere.  There are 5 or 6 reviews on Yelp posted after this year's show:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/kfog-kaboom-san-francisco-2?rpp=40&sort_by=date_desc

my favorite comment is this one

It wasn't as fun as in the past.  I enjoyed it when it was free, and when it was right downtown, so you could go to a bar or restaurant when it was over and keep the party going.  Now, it's out in the middle of nowhere, in the cold, windswept lot at Candlestick.  Not good.  Now, I understand that it costs money to put something like this on, and I understand why they had to move it.  But having to buy your ticket through Ticketmaster, where an advertised $15 ticket actually costs $22 with junk fees, etc is not cool.  Then you have to pay $15 to park out there.  Food choices were minimal (compared to years past), and the beer was outrageously expensive.  And...for all of that, the fireworks show, while spectacular, seemed shorter. 

The Kaboom experience has definitely gone downhill, which is really too bad.  This was a great event for the community.

I've seen nothing in the press about it, post-KaBOOM. And it occurred to me that when it was downtown, especially when it was free but even after they started charging admission, the throngs of people who went to the Embarcadero to gawk made it a news story. KTVU could show video of the crowds lined up along the Embarc, and the Chron could write about the mob scene when the hordes descended on BART after it was over. Great for businesses downtown and great for KFOG because it was their "gift to the City". Ya can't buy that kinda PR.  This year, at the 'stick, it was just another private event. Unless 100,000 folks showed up and caused a massive traffic clusterfuck on 101, nobody was gonna care (and clearly far less than 100,000 people were there).
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: June 02, 2010, 10:09:53 AM »
Pet peeve of the day:  Giving away tickets to the Black Crowes, but not *playing* Black Crowes either before or after the giveaway.  WTF?

Is it just me, or does that not make any sense?

Also, the giveaway wasn't unrelated -- I mean you had to know (easy) trivia about the Black Crowes, as well as Counting Crows and Sheryl Crow.

Instead they played Green Day's "Holiday" after announcing the contest and afterwards, Jack Johnson's new "You and Your Heart".  *Sigh*

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: June 03, 2010, 01:05:05 PM »
Just hear the *other* Train song, "Save Me San Francisco" for the first time -- much to my surprise, I kinda like. A little Stones-y. (and I guarantee it's part of the Kaboom sndtk) Sure, I'll get totally sick of it after they flog it incessantly for the next 3 months, but a welcome change from "Hey Soul Sistah, you're makin' my ears blistah"

I had the exact same reaction - they were going for an Exile St. sound, and damn near pulled it off.

one more for that "imitation Stones" set!  (Soup Dragons "Divine Thing", Eurythmics "I Need a Man", MJ's "Black & White"...)

World Party, too. Woowooo!

Ben Harper, "Burn to Shine."
Dandy Warhols, "Bohemian Like You"

I'd been trying to think of this one last week... some of you may not know it but it's rather Jagger-esque: Graham Parker, "Hotel Chambermaid".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJLNf-5BUIs

according to the comments on YT, Rod the Mod has covered this too, but I'm unfamiliar with his take.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: June 03, 2010, 07:19:44 PM »
To those of you who are FB-friends with "kfog fm" -- they're about to reach their limit of 5000 friends, so from now on "KFOG Radio" is the official KFOG fan page and it's where they'll post all their announcements, cutesy links etc.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: June 06, 2010, 01:01:30 PM »
Just hear the *other* Train song, "Save Me San Francisco" for the first time -- much to my surprise, I kinda like. A little Stones-y. (and I guarantee it's part of the Kaboom sndtk) Sure, I'll get totally sick of it after they flog it incessantly for the next 3 months, but a welcome change from "Hey Soul Sistah, you're makin' my ears blistah"

I had the exact same reaction - they were going for an Exile St. sound, and damn near pulled it off.

one more for that "imitation Stones" set!  (Soup Dragons "Divine Thing", Eurythmics "I Need a Man", MJ's "Black & White"...)

World Party, too. Woowooo!

Ben Harper, "Burn to Shine."
Dandy Warhols, "Bohemian Like You"

I'd been trying to think of this one last week... some of you may not know it but it's rather Jagger-esque: Graham Parker, "Hotel Chambermaid".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJLNf-5BUIs

according to the comments on YT, Rod the Mod has covered this too, but I'm unfamiliar with his take.

and another Stones-y one that's NTM (just heard it as a Canadian "extra" during AT40): Tom Cochrane, "No Regrets" -- apparently from the same LP as "Life is a Highway"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg8o6SfgCk0

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: June 10, 2010, 10:02:21 AM »
Is KFOG still doing "My Three Songs"? I notice that The Band is copying that for their station.

afaik, AL still does it every afternoon.  When does the Band do it, and do they call it that, or give it a different name? (KPIG does it in the morning and calls it "What's the Connection?", which is what Live 105 used to call it back in the day.

I forgot what they call it but on Thursday, they did it exactly at 3 PM.

Wow, I'll have to remember to check that out next week. From a radio standpoint, it's smart of them, as the 2 stations are next to each other on the dial; you could hear all three songs without realizing you're listening to the Band instead of KFOG. But from an originality standpoint...

Looked it up on their website. It's called "Common Thread @ 3". Last week's prize was tickets to Foreigner, Styx and Kansas concert.

Morning Show did a My Three Songs for Sting + Royal Philharmonic Concert tickets today.

If you didn't hear it, let's see how you guys do.  Guess the link.  You can also try to guess the other songs before they're played, er before I post them:

#1 - House of the Rising Sun by The Animals

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: June 10, 2010, 10:14:21 AM »
No early guesses?  Caller tried "Here Comes the Sun", but no.

#2 - Lady Marmalade by Labelle

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: June 10, 2010, 10:22:16 AM »
Songs that mention New Orleans.  I'll call Tune #3 as Dylan's "Tangled Up in Blue."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: June 10, 2010, 10:26:56 AM »
Ah, good guess. Somebody else tried Sting's "Moon Over Bourbon Street". But no...

#3 - Roxanne by The Police

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: June 10, 2010, 10:27:03 AM »
Songs that mention New Orleans.  I'll call Tune #3 as Dylan's "Tangled Up in Blue."

or Stones' Brown Sugar.

funny, they did a mini M3S one morning for Pretenders tix a while back, playing the phrase "New Orleans" from three diff songs.  I got through and correctly ID'd the first two songs, but froze on the Stones song, which was Brown Sugar.. I KNEW it, but panicked and my mind went blank. I was so pee-oh'd.  I blurted out Jumping Jack Flash and immediately hung up, ashamed.!
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: June 10, 2010, 10:27:16 AM »

Songs about prostitutes in New Orleans. No guess as to #3.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: June 10, 2010, 10:32:39 AM »

Songs about prostitutes in New Orleans. No guess as to #3.

More precise - good.  I have to think Randy Newman wrote something with that theme.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: June 10, 2010, 10:33:24 AM »
Ah, good guess. Somebody else tried Sting's "Moon Over Bourbon Street". But no...

"Roxanne" was set in Nawlins?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: June 10, 2010, 10:39:55 AM »

"Roxanne" was set in Nawlins?

the lyrics make no mention of it. WTF?  or was it just "songs about hookers"?  I'd've gone with "Painted Ladies" or "Sundown".
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 10:41:44 AM by RGMike »