Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096525 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1620 on: March 29, 2010, 11:07:32 PM »
they announced the lineup and location for this year's Kaboom: it's at Candlestick Point with Melissa Etheredge, John Butler Trio.   They'll have kiddie entertainment, wine tasting from Wente Vineyards:

http://www.kfog.com/Pages/KaBoom2010.aspx

Sounds like it will not be in the ballpark, but rather in the surrounding grounds, parking lots, etc.   That's a little far away for me, not sure if heading down there (by car, presumably) is in the works.  I really like how close the old location was, but of course, that was the problem for all those nearby residents.

So, will MUNI cooperate by running the "ballpark express" buses? No way I'd drive down -- getting out of there when it's over will not be fun. At least at the Piers you had the option of hanging downtown until the crowds dispersed. No watching from Twin Peaks either, sadly. So Kaboom is officially out of my life. End of an era.

OTOH, I guess this location means you've gotta pay for tix to be anywhere near the festivites; no gawkers at the Point.

And I wouldn't take the T line after dark. Read sfgate.com for what I am talking about.

I'm sure that neighborhood could use an event like this, although probably not a lot of Melissa Etheridge or John Butler fans living in Hunters Point. But I think most of the Foghead fanbase is having the same reaction: "NO WAY am I going down there at night."
Let's get right to it.

SFGuy

« Reply #1621 on: March 30, 2010, 12:54:35 AM »
they announced the lineup and location for this year's Kaboom: it's at Candlestick Point with Melissa Etheredge, John Butler Trio.   They'll have kiddie entertainment, wine tasting from Wente Vineyards:

Sounds like it will not be in the ballpark, but rather in the surrounding grounds, parking lots, etc.   That's a little far away for me, not sure if heading down there (by car, presumably) is in the works.  I really like how close the old location was, but of course, that was the problem for all those nearby residents.

So, will MUNI cooperate by running the "ballpark express" buses? No way I'd drive down -- getting out of there when it's over will not be fun. At least at the Piers you had the option of hanging downtown until the crowds dispersed. No watching from Twin Peaks either, sadly. So Kaboom is officially out of my life. End of an era.

OTOH, I guess this location means you've gotta pay for tix to be anywhere near the festivites; no gawkers at the Point.

And I wouldn't take the T line after dark. Read sfgate.com for what I am talking about.

I'm sure that neighborhood could use an event like this, although probably not a lot of Melissa Etheridge or John Butler fans living in Hunters Point. But I think most of the Foghead fanbase is having the same reaction: "NO WAY am I going down there at night."

There has been some recent violent acts near the T line (3 assaults including one that lead to the death of an 83 year old man by 5 teenagers who weren't robbing but beat him up for the fun of it. In fact, they were heard laughing after knocking the man unconscious).

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: March 30, 2010, 08:28:57 AM »

There has been some recent violent acts near the T line (3 assaults including one that lead to the death of an 83 year old man by 5 teenagers who weren't robbing but beat him up for the fun of it. In fact, they were heard laughing after knocking the man unconscious).

I read about those.  so sad.  Seems like it's all teens, around age 15 or so.   I'd think that specific group would prob not commit such acts if there were so many people around.  but that doesn't mean I'll be going in any case.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: April 01, 2010, 09:39:47 AM »
Someone posted on the KFOG FB page yesterday afternoon, wanting to know who does that "kazbaw" song.

Yes, she meant "Rock the Casbah". Somewhere the ghost of Joe Strummer is weeping.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: April 01, 2010, 12:03:27 PM »
New feature to my "Now Playing" page.  A (History) link that will take you to my Foglist page.

Usage:

"Huh, they sure do seem to this song, Paul Simon's 'Outrageous' a lot.  I wonder just how much."

http://www.darryl.com/kfog

Click on the (History) link next to "OUTRAGEOUS" (or whatever) and it'll open a new window with a search in my Foglist database for all plays of that song.

It also works for Artists, as in "Huh, John Butler Trio.  I don't think I've heard them in a long while, but now that the're playing this year's Kaboom, suddenly they're in higher rotation.  (Click on History next to John Butler Trio, and confirm whether John Butler Trio is really a "KFOG Artist".  Hrm, 4 spins a month prior to the last week?  Not so much.)

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: April 01, 2010, 12:49:50 PM »
HUH!  Was it just me, or did anybody else just hear Dave Morey do a spot for the new exhibit at Cal Academy of Sciences? Maybe he picked up a little work on his last visit to the station?

From @kellyransford on Twitter:
Dave is great. He surprised us w/ a visit last mth. Totally relaxed & long hippie hair! So happy for him but miss seeing his smile.
(http://twitter.com/kellyransford/status/11093836770)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: April 01, 2010, 02:05:30 PM »
HUH!  Was it just me, or did anybody else just hear Dave Morey do a spot for the new exhibit at Cal Academy of Sciences? Maybe he picked up a little work on his last visit to the station?

was that over-the-air or on the webstream? I don't listen to KFOg during the day (post-10@10) so i've not heard it.

And thanks, Darryl -- saw your comment on the KFOG FB-page. I didn't realize that Kaboom tix were $15 *PLUS* another 15 for parking!  Surely a round-trip BART fare from the East Bay is less than 15 bucks?

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: April 01, 2010, 02:12:31 PM »
It was OTA where I thought I heard Dave.  Wish I had a Tivo for the radio, i could've saved it for ya.

NP with the parking info.  I was just echoing these comments:
Quote from: Kathleen Crowley
Kaboom started as a most generous way for Kfog to thank its loyal listeners...NOW, $15 plus service fees for entry...$15 parking (no tailgating)...outpricing and inconveniencing loyal listeners that have made this an annual event for friends and family, priceless!!!
Yesterday at 12:46pm

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: April 02, 2010, 07:58:22 AM »

was that over-the-air or on the webstream? I don't listen to KFOg during the day (post-10@10) so i've not heard it.

They mentioned it on the morning show: yes, it's Dave. The Cal Academy wanted his voice and paid him to do the spot.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: April 02, 2010, 09:52:45 AM »
Sorry to keep harping on the Kaboom theme, but they just posted this on FB: "We expect KFOG KaBoom Box Tickets to go fast, so this may be your only chance to buy them!"

Weren't they still flogging tix last year days before the show?

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: April 02, 2010, 10:36:23 AM »
This is the first time I recall them selling Kaboom Box tickets.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: April 02, 2010, 10:43:55 AM »
This is the first time I recall them selling Kaboom Box tickets.

yeah, they were always a contest giveaway, iirc. More room at the Point for a bigger Box, perhaps?

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: April 02, 2010, 10:46:23 AM »
Quote from: DarrylFromFacebook
So I just checked the pre-sale:  Kaboom BOX tickets are $150 apiece (+$18 Ticketbastard "convenience" fees because of course it costs more to print out and mail a $150 vs $15 ticket).

Wow, much more incentive to win them now.  (Actually in years past you couldn't even buy your way in, without being a sponsor, so I guess they were valuable back then too.)

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: April 02, 2010, 11:00:22 AM »
I guess I'm surprised at the price because I've been able to win Kaboom Box tickets at least 2-3 times, and back in the dot-com era, I won place on one of the many sponsored ferries KFOG had out on the water to watch the show.  The downside to the Ferry was that we missed seeing Kenny Wayne Shepherd cause the boat took off during his set.  Oh boo hoo.  ;-}  (AtomicTangerine.com)

Also, on Piers 30/32, the Kaboom Box was well-located for fireworks-viewing, but pretty lousy for the music.  So we staked out a spot close to the stage, and then shuttled back and forth.  Kind of a pain.  Again, boo hoo.

(Seems like having the stage and fireworks at opposite ends makes sense though, because otherwise the stage blocks the fireworks for a large part of the audience.)

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: April 05, 2010, 12:17:30 PM »
Hey, I just posted this to that long bitchy thread about the Kaboom move to Candlestick:

I hear that The City didn't want it anymore. :-/

How did I get this impression?  Did somebody here talk about it?  Was it in the news elsewhere?  Or did I just make it up?

Ooof, my first attempt at Google was a fail, but my second attempt was much more successful:
http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/Safety-issues-drive-KaBoom-concert-to-new-venue-87742357.html

Century-old piers that buckled under the weight of a cargo truck months ago will not be able to support the annual KaBoom concert and fireworks show.

But the show put on by KFOG radio must go on — it will just have to be somewhere else.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 12:26:10 PM by darryl »