Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096527 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1605 on: March 11, 2010, 10:36:30 PM »
"what CD did you buy most recently?"

In case anyone is curious:

Last digi CD: Owl City, Ocean Eyes
Last physical CD: Flaming Lips, Embryonic

For me, the last CD I bought was Dave Rawlings Machine, A Friend of a Friend.

Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1606 on: March 11, 2010, 10:48:32 PM »
"what CD did you buy most recently?"

In case anyone is curious:

Last digi CD: Owl City, Ocean Eyes
Last physical CD: Flaming Lips, Embryonic
For me, the last CD I bought was Dave Rawlings Machine, A Friend of a Friend.

I'm not sure it's a very clean concept anymore.  I usually don't buy a CD unless I can't get to a song any other way. I bought Dylan's newest album last May.  Not sure if I've shopped at Amoeba since then.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: March 12, 2010, 07:56:30 AM »
The dumbing down continues -- Webster actually pronounced Zep's "D'yer Mak'er" as "DIE-er mokker" and Peter defended him ("I've always pronounced it that way too"). Greg had to correct them both. Guys, you've been doing rock radio for HOW long?  Plus, I'm positive they had that conversation on the Morning Show when Dave was still there.

But today's Request-O-Rama winner saves the day with T.Heads "Cities". I smell home cooking!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 08:08:38 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: March 12, 2010, 08:02:12 AM »
The dumbing down continues -- Webster actually pronounced Zep's "D'yer Mak'er" as "DIE-er mokker" and Peter defended him ("I've always pronounced it that way too"). Greg had to correct them both. Guys, you've been doing rock radio for HOW long?

I've pretty much given up on KFOG in the morning.   And I thought Webster was supposed to be the temporary morning host?  Even if they gave th gig to someone else -- and my last choice would be AL --  you've still got Peter and Renee and Greg in the mix, and each one has their serious fans and serious detractors.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 08:04:58 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: March 17, 2010, 11:54:37 AM »
KFOG asked on their FB page (since it's "New Music Thurs"): "what CD did you buy most recently?" -- of 19 comments (so far), the vast majority were artists KFOG doesn't play. But 3 folks said the new Train album and one suck-up said "Live From the Archives".

Hum.  Presents for my wife:  MP3 albums from Amazon of Patty Griffin's "Downtown Church" (phenomenal album) and Corinne Bailey Rae's "The Sea" (wife loves it.  I haven't given it a full listening.)

Last actual CD was Weezer's Raditude, also for my wife, who actually prefers MP3s, but it included a photo book and a commemorative zebra-print Snuggli with a Weezer logo (really).

I guess I haven't been supporting artists much.  Oh, I bought the Fireflies single from Amazon MP3 to test my new Pre.

Sad sad sad.  But I'm *listening* to plenty of new music.  More on that in the other thread...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: March 17, 2010, 02:38:45 PM »
KFOG has announced (re-announced?) the date for Kaboom! -- it's now Sat. May 22nd. No acts mentioned yet.

Just noticed that May 22 is also the date for the Black & White Ball (which is usually earlier than that, no?).

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: March 18, 2010, 08:23:45 AM »

Plus, I'm positive they had that conversation on the Morning Show when Dave was still there.

they sure did...with ME!  I asked Dave if he was familiar with the cockney joke alleged to be the source for the name.  He wasn't, but thought it interesting.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: March 18, 2010, 08:59:29 AM »

Plus, I'm positive they had that conversation on the Morning Show when Dave was still there.

they sure did...with ME!  I asked Dave if he was familiar with the cockney joke alleged to be the source for the name.  He wasn't, but thought it interesting.

Ha!  "Let's pretend we're stupid so alll the stupid people will listen to *us* in the morning!"

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: March 18, 2010, 11:14:10 PM »

Ha!  "Let's pretend we're stupid so alll the stupid people will listen to *us* in the morning!"

pretending...?
~CPL593H~

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: March 19, 2010, 10:38:22 AM »

pretending...?

"Calling you stupid would be an insult to STUPID PEOPLE!"
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: March 29, 2010, 08:24:03 AM »
they announced the lineup and location for this year's Kaboom: it's at Candlestick Point with Melissa Etheredge, John Butler Trio.   They'll have kiddie entertainment, wine tasting from Wente Vineyards:

http://www.kfog.com/Pages/KaBoom2010.aspx

Sounds like it will not be in the ballpark, but rather in the surrounding grounds, parking lots, etc.   That's a little far away for me, not sure if heading down there (by car, presumably) is in the works.  I really like how close the old location was, but of course, that was the problem for all those nearby residents.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: March 29, 2010, 08:36:06 AM »
they announced the lineup and location for this year's Kaboom: it's at Candlestick Point with Melissa Etheredge, John Butler Trio.   They'll have kiddie entertainment, wine tasting from Wente Vineyards:

Sounds like it will not be in the ballpark, but rather in the surrounding grounds, parking lots, etc.   That's a little far away for me, not sure if heading down there (by car, presumably) is in the works.  I really like how close the old location was, but of course, that was the problem for all those nearby residents.

So, will MUNI cooperate by running the "ballpark express" buses? No way I'd drive down -- getting out of there when it's over will not be fun. At least at the Piers you had the option of hanging downtown until the crowds dispersed. No watching from Twin Peaks either, sadly. So Kaboom is officially out of my life. End of an era.

OTOH, I guess this location means you've gotta pay for tix to be anywhere near the festivites; no gawkers at the Point.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: March 29, 2010, 09:56:02 AM »
Pleased to see the Kaboom comments on KFOG's FB-page running mostly negative (example: "not THERE!!!! Oh good grief.... why THERE?? ARGH!").  The consensus is: you picked a place where you pretty much have to drive -- what are you, crazy?

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: March 29, 2010, 11:22:26 AM »
At least they have solid bands this year.  Melissa Etheridge is well established & the John Butler Trio is a good crowd-pleaser.  Last year's pick of LLB as the headliner was an embarrassment.

Hmm...more to be announced, the commercial says.  Who else could it be?  I wouldn't mind that one listener's suggestion of Jack Johnson... :-X

SFGuy

« Reply #1619 on: March 29, 2010, 10:43:53 PM »

So, will MUNI cooperate by running the "ballpark express" buses? No way I'd drive down -- getting out of there when it's over will not be fun. At least at the Piers you had the option of hanging downtown until the crowds dispersed. No watching from Twin Peaks either, sadly. So Kaboom is officially out of my life. End of an era.

OTOH, I guess this location means you've gotta pay for tix to be anywhere near the festivites; no gawkers at the Point.

And I wouldn't take the T line after dark. Read sfgate.com for what I am talking about.