Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096616 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1560 on: February 12, 2010, 07:58:34 AM »
The Morning crew were discussing love songs and asked Fogheads to name their faves. One guy wrote that his favorite was Marc Cohn's "True Companion" and said "I've never heard that one played on the radio" (!).  Someone else mentioned Walter Egan's "Magnet & Steel" and both Renee and Greg said they'd never heard of it (!) and then Renee googled it and when she read the wiki entry about how it was produced by Linsday Buckingham with Stevie Nicks on backing vox, Webster said he never knew that.

Seriously, who are these people??
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1561 on: February 12, 2010, 08:08:51 AM »
The Morning crew were discussing love songs and asked Fogheads to name their faves. One guy wrote that his favorite was Marc Cohn's "True Companion" and said "I've never heard that one played on the radio" (!).  Someone else mentioned Walter Egan's "Magnet & Steel" and both Renee and Greg said they'd never heard of it (!) and then Renee googled it and when she read the wiki entry about how it was produced by Linsday Buckingham with Stevie Nicks on backing vox, Webster said he never knew that.

I was offended that they stopped "Magnet and Steel" after a short fragment, as if it were some sort of novelty curiosity.  It was widely played on KFOG back in the day.  Sweet song.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: February 12, 2010, 08:22:24 AM »

I was offended that they stopped "Magnet and Steel" after a short fragment, as if it were some sort of novelty curiosity.  It was widely played on KFOG back in the day.  Sweet song.

Indeed. And it's not like it's an obscurity; it was a big hit. Sometimes it seems as if the Morning crew are pretending to be stupid (or at least non-music-geeky) because the research says you can't be smarter than the audience because it makes people feel dumb.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: February 12, 2010, 10:03:20 AM »
the research says you can't be smarter than the audience because it makes people feel dumb.

This makes me mash my head against my desk.  Anti-intellectualism in all its forms appalls me.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: February 12, 2010, 10:39:41 AM »
the research says you can't be smarter than the audience because it makes people feel dumb.

This makes me mash my head against my desk.  Anti-intellectualism in all its forms appalls me.

Glad that AL is not hamstrung by that for 10@10. I think she really enjoys pulling out things that are really rarities.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: February 12, 2010, 11:23:56 AM »

Glad that AL is not hamstrung by that for 10@10. I think she really enjoys pulling out things that are really rarities.

agree with you both, and am reminded that when it came to musicology, Dave never had to act dumber than the audience.  Of course he was near-totally illiterate on some subjects, such as sports.  I think he asked Krukow about one question per year.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: February 12, 2010, 11:41:34 AM »

Indeed. And it's not like it's an obscurity; it was a big hit. Sometimes it seems as if the Morning crew are pretending to be stupid (or at least non-music-geeky) because the research says you can't be smarter than the audience because it makes people feel dumb.

not sure I would give them credit to play stupid that convincingly.  I think it's often the real deal.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: February 12, 2010, 11:47:40 AM »

agree with you both, and am reminded that when it came to musicology, Dave never had to act dumber than the audience.  Of course he was near-totally illiterate on some subjects, such as sports.  I think he asked Krukow about one question per year.

I think management knew better than to tell Dave how to act.  But it's a new era and we're seeing more of the "typical" radio thinking being implemented. Renee's role has always been the audience surrogate, the "WTF are you guys talking about?" girl. Which is fine if somebody gets truly obscure, but lately every time a song from before, say, 1980 is referenced, she seems obligated to ask "who was that?" and act like she's never heard of the artist -- and come on, she's older than Greg (who turms 40 today!) and it seems silly to me for her not to know songs and artists she ought to have grown up hearing on the radio.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: February 18, 2010, 08:03:54 AM »
What a treat to hear the Peak play the Raconteurs' "Steady As She Goes", post-10@10 -- I never understood why KFOG gave that one short shrift.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: February 18, 2010, 12:41:37 PM »
So there's a thread on KFOG's FB page reminding people that they can win John Mayer tix this week, and all the comments are of the "I hate John Mayer" variety. Quite hilarious -- obviously his Playboy inteview made him no friends.  And one guy said "I don't think he's racist, but he sure is boring!" LOL!

Combined with the comments there recently about how awful people think that Train song ("Hey Soul Sistah") is, Fogheads have risen a bit in my esteem.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: February 22, 2010, 12:16:15 PM »
So there's a thread on KFOG's FB page reminding people that they can win John Mayer tix this week, and all the comments are of the "I hate John Mayer" variety. Quite hilarious -- obviously his Playboy inteview made him no friends.  And one guy said "I don't think he's racist, but he sure is boring!" LOL!

Combined with the comments there recently about how awful people think that Train song ("Hey Soul Sistah") is, Fogheads have risen a bit in my esteem.

More from the KFOG FB page: they posted a contest reminder today ("Enjoy the band Train? then listen to Annalisa today...") and one Foghead said

No I do NOT enjoy the band Train any more! If you would stop playing that stupid new single of theirs 20 times a day I might even turn KFOG back on because I miss the rest of the music on there.

Fogheads choose... not to listen to KFOG! ROTFL!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: February 24, 2010, 09:09:17 AM »
Gotta give the Morning Show props this week.  First, on Monday, they had a phone interview with Ray Romano, talking about his midseason drama on USA Network, "Men of a Certain Age".  He closed off with a one-liner about how he knows he's reached that age when "I was making love to his wife...and I had to take a knee."

Then they immediately played the Lemonheads' "It's A Shame About Ray".

Then yesterday Peter had a news bit about how there's a guy who is trying to get Mt. Diablo renamed Mt. Reagan, and there was some public hearing that evening somewhere.  He noted that so far opinion was running 9-1 in favor of keeping the name unchanged.  So I called in to say that I really, really, really didn't like Reagan, and as far as I am concerned the mountain is *already* named after him.  They laughed & later aired my call.  And then they went straight into Van Halen's "Running With The Devil".  Cracked me up.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: February 24, 2010, 03:25:35 PM »
More from the KFOG FB page: they posted a contest reminder today ("Enjoy the band Train? then listen to Annalisa today...") and one Foghead said

No I do NOT enjoy the band Train any more! If you would stop playing that stupid new single of theirs 20 times a day I might even turn KFOG back on because I miss the rest of the music on there.

Fogheads choose... not to listen to KFOG! ROTFL!

LOL!  The listeners in their home format in their home city don't even like them anymore.  (And yet somehow, that song is shaping up to be a decent-sized pop-hit, their biggest since "Drops of Jupiter"...  ::))

I would have given KFOG props for waiting until the very last moment to add that song...except that they do that with every song.  :-\

That sort of reminds me.  A few months ago I "accidentally" won a pair of tickets from Star to their show at the Fillmore (I say accidentally because I submitted a "my 4 songs at noon" entry, just because I wanted to hear some songs on the radio; they picked mine and it turns out there was a prize attached to it, which was Train tickets.)  I thought eh, maybe I could get 20 bucks or so for them.  I posted it and within hours I was getting offers of $50+ each per ticket.  WTF, I didn't realize Train had fans anymore!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: February 26, 2010, 07:07:17 PM »
Accvording to KFOG's FB page, Dave Morey's in town and stopped by the station to say hello today!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: February 26, 2010, 07:35:41 PM »
So I called in to say that I really, really, really didn't like Reagan, and as far as I am concerned the mountain is *already* named after him.  They laughed & later aired my call.  And then they went straight into Van Halen's "Running With The Devil".  Cracked me up.

This is really funny - well done!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”