Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096515 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1440 on: October 26, 2009, 11:13:25 AM »
Anyone else getting sick of 21 Guns, the Green Day song that's been in ad nauseam rotation for what seems like months? It wasn't a bad song to start out (although it sounds kinda like a reject from American Idiot), but I honestly think it gets played in the 20 or so minutes that follows 10@10 every damn day without exception. Enough.

It is indeed in VERY heavy rotation (hasn't ELO sued them yet for ripping off "Telephone Line"?) and along with "Know Your Enemy" it is in fact used in the stage version of American Idiot. The station swears they don't play songs 6 times a day, but when I hear things like "21 Guns" or those damn Snow Patrol and Fray songs twice in 4 hours (often right before the 6am news and again right before 10@10) I really wonder.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 11:22:38 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: October 26, 2009, 11:29:01 AM »
Anyone else getting sick of 21 Guns, the Green Day song that's been in ad nauseam rotation for what seems like months? It wasn't a bad song to start out (although it sounds kinda like a reject from American Idiot), but I honestly think it gets played in the 20 or so minutes that follows 10@10 every damn day without exception. Enough.

Do what I do: avoid KFOG when 10at10 isn't playing or when they're not giving away some juicy tix, like during the nine o'clock pop quiz.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: November 12, 2009, 08:33:12 AM »
Pleased to see that KFOG is playing something from that new Roseanne Cash covers album -- her version of "Sea of Heartbreak". At least it's showing on the "just played" list; dunno how "heavy" a rotation it's in.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: November 13, 2009, 07:49:11 AM »
I'm actually listening to KFOG this morning -- TMBG will be playing in-studio at 8:30.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: November 13, 2009, 09:00:06 AM »
I'm actually listening to KFOG this morning -- TMBG will be playing in-studio at 8:30.

TMBG were wonderful, but I had to bail on KFOG when they played that damn DMB "Groogrux King" song for the umpteenth time. WTF is a "groogrux" anyway?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: November 13, 2009, 01:51:45 PM »
WTF is a "groogrux" anyway?

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/28600068/dave_matthews_shares_the_stories_behind_big_whiskey_and_the_groogrux_king

As for the title, Matthews explains that "GrooGrux King" is a band nickname for [Le Roi] Moore, who died last year. "Carter [Beauford] and Roi came up with the GrooGrux," he says. "It's their word for something that was happening, something that was cool, something that was amazing. It was sort of like a spirit or a musical thing, 'That's the Groo Grux.' And Roi was the King, Le Roi."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: November 13, 2009, 02:06:52 PM »
WTF is a "groogrux" anyway?

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/28600068/dave_matthews_shares_the_stories_behind_big_whiskey_and_the_groogrux_king

As for the title, Matthews explains that "GrooGrux King" is a band nickname for [Le Roi] Moore, who died last year. "Carter [Beauford] and Roi came up with the GrooGrux," he says. "It's their word for something that was happening, something that was cool, something that was amazing. It was sort of like a spirit or a musical thing, 'That's the Groo Grux.' And Roi was the King, Le Roi."

oh, I knew it was their knickname for the dead guy. I just think that words people make up because they think they're cool-sounding are usually more silly than cool. Or at the very least are a private joke that should remain so. And this proves my point, I'd say.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: November 16, 2009, 01:20:58 PM »
Got a nice "thank you" email from AL for my HFH suggestions -- if she's answering all the email she got for 3 days, that's pretty amazing (and time-consuming!)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: November 16, 2009, 01:31:27 PM »
Got a nice "thank you" email from AL for my HFH suggestions -- if she's answering all the email she got for 3 days, that's pretty amazing (and time-consuming!)

Not to diminish her efforts, but that seems to be fairly common for her--she's an e-mail maven. I vote for best of set via e-mail several times a week, and generally get a response about once a week. Usually just a sentence or two, but it's not a generic response, it's specific to something I said it my initial comments. If she does that for everyone who e-mails her during the week, yeah, she spends a fair amount of time answering e-mail. It does make a nice impression though, and is pretty surprising for a jock at a major-market station.
Let's get right to it.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: November 17, 2009, 11:10:45 AM »
Anyone have this year's Live from the Archives 16?

A few good tracks on this years...not enough to make me want to buy it, but enough to make me try to win it when they were giving away copies every hour or 2!  I finally got through after about a dozen tries. :)  (If I didn't win it, I probably would have felt slightly bad about not buying it...since I have all of them from #5-15.  They've had some pretty good ones in the past, in particular 9, 11, & 14.  But this year's just did not excite my cash-strapped self that much.)

My favorite tracks from it are David Gray "Fugitive" and Chuck Prophet "You Did."  I also like the idea of seeing Pretenders "Love's a Mystery" and Pete Yorn "Last Summer" on one of these although neither of those are versions are great recordings.  Andrew Bird's "Fitz & the Dizzyspells" is ok too.  As for the rest...too many repeats and/or fully uninteresting songs.

Some of the other stations have great live CDs this year...especially KMTT, KINK, & WQKL.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: November 17, 2009, 11:12:58 AM »

A few good tracks on this years...not enough to make me want to buy it, but enough to make me try to win it when they were giving away copies every hour or 2!  I finally got through after about a dozen tries. :)  (If I didn't win it, I probably would have felt slightly bad about not buying it...since I have all of them from #5-15.  They've had some pretty good ones in the past, in particular 9, 11, & 14.  But this year's just did not excite my cash-strapped self that much.)

My favorite tracks from it are David Gray "Fugitive" and Chuck Prophet "You Did."  I also like the idea of seeing Pretenders "Love's a Mystery" and Pete Yorn "Last Summer" on one of these although neither of those are versions are great recordings.  Andrew Bird's "Fitz & the Dizzyspells" is ok too.  As for the rest...too many repeats and/or fully uninteresting songs.

Some of the other stations have great live CDs this year...especially KMTT, KINK, & WQKL.

Way to go!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: November 18, 2009, 01:15:13 AM »

Applause; congrats!  I have only #8, 13 and 15 (thanks, Ali, for the latter two!).  Will be a completist of them someday.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: November 18, 2009, 02:21:24 PM »
fwiw, I have 10, 11, 12 & 15, all of which are already ripped at 256, so y'all don't have to buy those (unless you need better codec than that), and can get them from me.  I already have a healthy number of blank CDR's and mailing sleeves, so you'd only be asking me for 5 minutes and 40 odd cents if you go ahead and make the request.  Send a mailing addresses and they're all yours.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: November 19, 2009, 09:48:19 AM »
Amazing--Webster just played the Stones' If You Can't Rock Me, which I don't recall EVER hearing on KFOG before. Props to whoever put that on the playlist.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: November 19, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »
Amazing--Webster just played the Stones' If You Can't Rock Me, which I don't recall EVER hearing on KFOG before. Props to whoever put that on the playlist.

I used to think that KFOG would cherry-pick 10@10 BOS winners and put them into rotation (maybe after testing them first). But I can't recall if "IYCRM" has ever made a KFOG 10@10 appearance.  Somebody's played it -- Bob? Rob?  Larry?