Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096699 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1425 on: September 23, 2009, 10:43:21 AM »
I truly do not need to hear "Hotel Calif" (either the orig or the live version) ever again.

how dare you..!   Joe Walsh plays on that.   ;)

life's been too good to him.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

SFGuy

« Reply #1426 on: September 24, 2009, 03:08:46 AM »
There seems to be a subtle change in the programming on KFOG. Songs I've only heard during the old 10@10 are being playing during other times. I heard Prince's "When Doves Cry". I don't remember Prince being played that often other than 10@10.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: September 25, 2009, 10:46:10 AM »

There seems to be a subtle change in the programming on KFOG. Songs I've only heard during the old 10@10 are being playing during other times. I heard Prince's "When Doves Cry". I don't remember Prince being played that often other than 10@10.

been thinking the same thing.  Earlier this week they played Dionne Ferris "I Know" when I was driving home after lunch.  And there was some other particularly deep album cut since then that escapes me now, but raised the same thought at the time.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: September 25, 2009, 11:42:26 AM »

been thinking the same thing.  Earlier this week they played Dionne Ferris "I Know" when I was driving home after lunch.  And there was some other particularly deep album cut since then that escapes me now, but raised the same thought at the time.

I'd've guessed the Prince track has shown up from time-to-time (paging Daryl!) but there's def an attempt to play more '90s stuff that hasn't been heard in a while -- "I Know" is nearly 15 years old, which is kinda scary.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: September 25, 2009, 07:46:18 PM »

I'd've guessed the Prince track has shown up from time-to-time (paging Daryl!) but there's def an attempt to play more '90s stuff that hasn't been heard in a while -- "I Know" is nearly 15 years old, which is kinda scary.

I think we need a "Paging Darryl" thread.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: September 25, 2009, 11:07:01 PM »
Hi all:

I've been finding a lot of holes in my database lately -- I've got two different scripts running, and stuff still doesn't get listed on KFOG's website, which is where I scrape my data.  So with that disclaimer...

Prince was last played in like, 2007:
Fri Nov  2 01:54:00 2007        PRINCE  THE ONE U WANNA C

Dionne Farris?  Heard last Monday, but in the morning (mshray do you take lunch at 10AM?):
Mon Sep 21 10:57:02 2009        DIONNE FARRIS   I KNOW

Prior to that:
Sat Jan 19 12:21:00 2008        DIONNE FARRIS   I KNOW

That's all I've got, sorry.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 11:08:45 PM by darryl »

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1431 on: September 25, 2009, 11:08:20 PM »
there was some discussion this morning on the air about mislabeled songs on the player.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: September 25, 2009, 11:15:28 PM »
Yeah, I've got a chunk of songs from earlier this year that are wrong.  They're listed in heavy rotation, but no way:

LES CLAYPOOL'S FROG BRIGA  PIGS
BARENAKED LADIES   CELEBRITY
Original Soundtrack        WILD WORLD
Gov't Mule SCO-MULE
Yohimbe Brothers   BAMALAMBL

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: September 26, 2009, 11:18:18 AM »
Yeah, I've got a chunk of songs from earlier this year that are wrong.  They're listed in heavy rotation, but no way:

LES CLAYPOOL'S FROG BRIGA  PIGS
BARENAKED LADIES   CELEBRITY
Original Soundtrack        WILD WORLD
Gov't Mule SCO-MULE
Yohimbe Brothers   BAMALAMBL

Someone emailed trying to find out the name of a song/artist -- it was the new Franz Ferdinand, but apparently whenever it airs the player says "Shakedown Street" by the Dead. Greg explained it has something to do with every song having a number assigned to it in the system, and sometimes old data is over-written with new data, or something.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: September 28, 2009, 01:08:11 AM »
Someone emailed trying to find out the name of a song/artist -- it was the new Franz Ferdinand, but apparently whenever it airs the player says "Shakedown Street" by the Dead. Greg explained it has something to do with every song having a number assigned to it in the system, and sometimes old data is over-written with new data, or something.

Ahhh, I was wondering why that song kept popping up.  Although I have heard that actual song on KFOG, it seemed the frequency was a little higher.

Here's the mismatches I've identified so far:

Dave Matthews Band RAVEN = Susan Tedeschi PEOPLE
North Mississippi Allstars EYES = Bell X1    THE GREAT DEFECTOR
Sting   SEND YOUR LOVE = MAT KEARNEY        CLOSER TO LOVE
ANI DIFRANCO IN THE WAY = TORI AMOS  WELCOME TO ENGLAND
GARAGE A TROIS  SPRUNG MONKEY = DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE     LITTLE BRIBES
STEVIE NICKS TROUBLE IN SHANGRI-LA = GREEN DAY       21 GUNS
Original Soundtrack        PANACEA = COLDPLAY    LIFE IN TECHNICOLOR II
JOHN SCOFIELD      KOOL = AIRBORNE TOXIC EVENT  SOMETIME AROUND MIDNIGHT
Phish      MOMA DANCE (LIVE) = BOB DYLAN   BEYOND HERE LIES NOTHING

I'm still wishing I had found the problem earlier and rejiggered my scripts back then, because those songs above (Les Claypool's Frog Brigade!?) were supposedly in heavy rotation earlier in the year.  And I don't have a way to match them up properly.  One of the newer U2 songs is missing from the list, so I think that may be one of them.  I've bugged KFOG's webmaster to see if he can help me out with a "corrected" playlist from early August, but I need to follow up again, as it might let me link up the mismatches.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: September 29, 2009, 10:58:40 AM »
Wonder how long before KFOG adds some new music to their "local artist" promos? Seems like they've been flogging the same half-dozen artists (Josh Fix, Walty, Loquat, to name a few) for going on a year now.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: October 01, 2009, 12:54:57 PM »

This morning I heard Sideshow Bob Counting Crows, "Accidentally In Love" (actually one of the few songs of theirs I can stand), which I hadn't heard them play in some time.

FYI, Steve Earle will be playing live on the Morning Show as a har'ly/strick'ly preview.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: October 02, 2009, 11:02:36 AM »
Since when has KFOG added that "a Cumulus station" tag to the end of their station IDs? Just noticed it in the last couple of days. Pretty superfluous, if you ask me.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: October 02, 2009, 06:39:24 PM »
Since when has KFOG added that "a Cumulus station" tag to the end of their station IDs? Just noticed it in the last couple of days. Pretty superfluous, if you ask me.

yes -- I noticed that this morning. KNBR, The Ticket and The Bone have been doing that since Cumulus bought the stations a few years ago, but KFOG had avoided it; they were selling the "independent, local radio station" angle, and that was working well for them. But the "imaging" as they call it in the biz, has been changing subtly. You'll also notice more of those choppy montages with disembodied voices saying things about what a unique mix of music they play, or how cool it is to hear so much awesome new stuff, dude!  Etc. Etc.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: October 26, 2009, 11:00:58 AM »
Anyone else getting sick of 21 Guns, the Green Day song that's been in ad nauseam rotation for what seems like months? It wasn't a bad song to start out (although it sounds kinda like a reject from American Idiot), but I honestly think it gets played in the 20 or so minutes that follows 10@10 every damn day without exception. Enough.
Let's get right to it.