Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096562 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: The ax falls again at Cumulus
« Reply #1335 on: July 13, 2009, 10:38:58 AM »
According to this SFGate blog, longtime KFOG/KNBR/etc. station manager Tony Salvadore got shown the door after 20+ years on the job in a cost-cutting move by Cumulus. Lee Hammer, KNBR program director, has been tabbed as interim manager.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/lieberman/detail?entry_id=43264

If you recall, Salvadore was one of the many well-wishers on DM's final Morning Show, and was busted on air singing along with gusto to some really cheesy song, which I am not recalling at this hour.

There's a thread about this on the radio-info SF board:

http://boards.radio-info.com/smf/index.php?topic=148371.0

look for the comments from former KFOG'er M Dung (he posts there as "dungboy".)

I think geoff will geta  kick out of this. Someone this posted on the radio-info board

There's a well circulated story about Mr. Salvadore helping himself to a chocolate chip cookie out of a bag in the studio during a mid-eighties early evening shift.  Later, when he thought he was having a heart attack at a local restaurant he had to be rushed to the emergency room.  He had been warned by the person on duty NOT to eat the cookie.  There was more than chocolate chips in that cookie....

to which MDung replied

LOL! One of the great radio stories! That person would be me.( I was there doing production and Amir was on the air doing his show, I did tell Tony not to eat the cookies ) Amir Monsbacker ( the orignial host of the Psychedelic Psupper ) was fired over the incident. Tony wasn't the only one dosed, he and the sales manager were on there way to a client dinner...you would not believe how hard the s_h_i_t  hit the fan the next day! Tony called Dave Logan from the hospital asking what to do...Logan told him to relax, put on some headphones and listen to Hendrix! LOL

That is too funny.

reminds me of the Ackroyd/SNL skit where Jimmy Carter is talking down an orange sunshine case, telling him to listen to some Allman Bros!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1336 on: July 16, 2009, 12:41:55 PM »
Nice bit about Rosalie in today's Chron:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/07/16/DD9T18LOH0.DTL

The Morning crew played "Dixie the Tiny Dog" in her honor.

BTW, doesn't Rosalie look like the principal on South Park?

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 01:17:54 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: July 17, 2009, 12:13:51 AM »
Nice bit about Rosalie in today's Chron:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/07/16/DD9T18LOH0.DTL

The Morning crew played "Dixie the Tiny Dog" in her honor.

BTW, doesn't Rosalie look like the principal on South Park?

Funny, I can never picture that sultry voice coming out of that person. I know it does, but there's just some disconnect for me there. I've long regretted not stopping to talk with her the morning I saw her getting coffee at the Chatz coffee place on 2nd street, next to CNET (and just across the street from the back of KFOG's building on Hawthorne).  Nice piece though--and I'm sure she's a great mom.
Let's get right to it.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: July 17, 2009, 01:45:34 AM »
Rosalie is incredibly cool.  I've e-mailed and called her on numerous occasions -- requesting dedications for sons' births/birthdays; contests; song info; etc.

She's always been very gracious and accommodating.  (And I was always sure she'd remember that maybe it wasn't more than 90 days since I last won anything... :-O)

Her Putamayo World Music show is pretty great -- too bad they shoved her into the 6AM Sunday slot.  I think it used to run Sunday evenings.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: July 17, 2009, 08:53:08 AM »
Rosalie is incredibly cool.  I've e-mailed and called her on numerous occasions -- requesting dedications for sons' births/birthdays; contests; song info; etc.

She's always been very gracious and accommodating.  (And I was always sure she'd remember that maybe it wasn't more than 90 days since I last won anything... :-O)

Her Putamayo World Music show is pretty great -- too bad they shoved her into the 6AM Sunday slot.  I think it used to run Sunday evenings.

Since I am often driving to the golf course at around 6am Sunday mornings, I listen to the Putamayo show quite a bit.  It is pretty great.

BTW, Geoff, I shot 74 last Sunday at Tilden, one of my best ever.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1340 on: July 17, 2009, 11:03:28 AM »
BTW, Geoff, I shot 74 last Sunday at Tilden, one of my best ever.
Well, that just about crushes my dream of playing with you at Tilden!  I'm about 30 strokes behind, in a best-ever sort of discussion!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: July 30, 2009, 09:55:46 AM »
Webster was out sick and Peter's on vacay (his new play is about to open), so it was Renee and Greg (the "kids", tho' neither is under 35) in charge today. 

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: August 03, 2009, 08:47:33 AM »
Just flipped over to KFOG and they're playing... Patti Smith, "People Have the Power"!! WTF??

ETA: Tim Goodman saw her perform at the LA TV critics gathering, apparently.  Surely the first time that song has ever appeared on KFOG.

Funny, 1988 is one of the handful of years AL has yet to hit, and I was hoping she'd play that song when she does.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 08:52:18 AM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: August 03, 2009, 10:05:59 AM »
Webster was out sick and Peter's on vacay (his new play is about to open), so it was Renee and Greg (the "kids", tho' neither is under 35) in charge today. 

i noticed the Web did a shift yesterday.  so they have only three live deejays...? 
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: August 03, 2009, 10:13:42 AM »

i noticed the Web did a shift yesterday.  so they have only three live deejays...? 

Well, Rosalie and Renee both do air shifts on the weekends and holidays, I think.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: August 03, 2009, 10:22:31 AM »

Well, Rosalie and Renee both do air shifts on the weekends and holidays, I think.

oh yeah, forgot about Rosalie.  Renee does a shift?   not sure if I even knew that.  I tend to avoid KFOG when it's not 10 at 10 time.
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: August 04, 2009, 09:11:54 AM »
nine o'clock pop quiz (for fourth row Depech Mode tix) involverd identifying synth riffs from 80s songs.  One riff was Depeche Mode's Just Can't Get Enough.  After the winner won, they played the entire song!

here's to Vince Clarke-era DM!
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: August 04, 2009, 09:23:56 AM »
nine o'clock pop quiz (for fourth row Depech Mode tix) involverd identifying synth riffs from 80s songs.  One riff was Depeche Mode's Just Can't Get Enough.  After the winner won, they played the entire song!

oh my yes.  I loved that early part of their career -- it always seemed to me that the more boring they got, the more popular they became in the US. The audacity of mope, indeed.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: August 04, 2009, 10:02:07 AM »

After the song, Greg launched into a story of his life in Ireland discos.  When the song played, everyone would yell "Sex!" after the line "just can't get enought".  Renee and Webster were cracking up, and said they couldn't picture Greg in the the disco scene, and Greg replied that he was a "dab  hand" at discos back in the day.

Which brings us back to Mike's comment yesterday:  New Wave = disco for white people.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: August 04, 2009, 10:08:03 AM »

After the song, Greg launched into a story of his life in Ireland discos.  When the song played, everyone would yell "Sex!" after the line "just can't get enought".  Renee and Webster were cracking up, and said they couldn't picture Greg in the the disco scene, and Greg replied that he was a "dab  hand" at discos back in the day.

Which brings us back to Mike's comment yesterday:  New Wave = disco for white people.

that was great.  I changed the statin right after this whole sequence, because I knew the Morning Show had peaked right then!  ;)
~CPL593H~