Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096520 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1320 on: June 22, 2009, 08:16:57 AM »
FYI: Elvis C is performing live on the Morning Show` in thr 9:00 hour today.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: June 22, 2009, 08:41:05 AM »

he'll be at Amoeba at Noon for a free show.  should be mobbed.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: June 22, 2009, 09:09:40 AM »

he'll be at Amoeba at Noon for a free show.  should be mobbed.

and he'll have Jim Lauderdale with him. I was a big fan of Lauderdale's once upon a time.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: June 22, 2009, 09:33:48 AM »

actually, it looks like they're just interviewing him; they chatted and now they're playing a track from the new CD.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: June 22, 2009, 09:41:37 AM »

actually, it looks like they're just interviewing him; they chatted and now they're playing a track from the new CD.

They just announced they'd found him a guitar, so he'll be playing a couple of songs shortly.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: June 22, 2009, 03:24:55 PM »
KFOG's ex-PD Benson gets a new gig, at Seattle's "The Mountain" (the station that did that great "100 greatest rip-offs" countdown some months back).

Tell me more about this "100 greatest rip-offs", please.  Google didn't turn up anything useful, but I didn't really spend that much time searching.

It was a list of songs that rip-off other songs ("My Sweet Lord", which rips off "He's So Fine", was #2 iirc) I'll find the link and post it tomorrow if my work computer is back up (see "I'm Tryin' to Tell You Somethin' 'Bout My Life" thread).

finally... here's the link:

http://www.1037themountain.com/Top-103-Rip-Offs/4083306

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: June 24, 2009, 08:42:36 AM »
They did a "famous Chicagoans" quiz (for Wilco tix) this AM and the qualifying question was "this disgraced Illinois governor recently appeared on I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here...."

... except Blago DIDN'T appear on that show -- he wanted to, but the courts said no. It was a big story, guys, it was in all the papers. Nobody called them on the error.  Then a few questions later: "this band's lead singer was Peter Cetera" -- and Peter Finch pronounced it "CET-a-ruh" (like et cetera) rather than "Sa-TAIR-uh". Greg had to correct him. Sheesh.

BTW they played a current Wilco track that was quite nice, with George Harrison-esque guitar flourishes out of "My Sweet Lord" and Leon Russell-ish piano.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: June 24, 2009, 08:51:46 AM »
They did a "famous Chicagoans" quiz (for Wilco tix) this AM and the qualifying question was "this disgraced Illinois governor recently appeared on I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here...."

... except Blago DIDN'T appear on that show -- he wanted to, but the courts said no. It was a big story, guys, it was in all the papers. Nobody called them on the error.  Then a few questions later: "this band's lead singer was Peter Cetera" -- and Peter Finch pronounced it "CET-a-ruh" (like et cetera) rather than "Sa-TAIR-uh". Greg had to correct him. Sheesh.

BTW they played a current Wilco track that was quite nice, with George Harrison-esque guitar flourishes out of "My Sweet Lord" and Leon Russell-ish piano.

hate to say it, but I'm not surprised.

~CPL593H~

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1328 on: June 24, 2009, 09:33:31 AM »
TW they played a current Wilco track that was quite nice, with George Harrison-esque guitar flourishes out of "My Sweet Lord" and Leon Russell-ish piano.
I heard that the other day, and wondered who was ripping George off!  For some reason, it seemed like a rip more than an homage to me, but I'm prone to overreaction.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: June 24, 2009, 09:36:19 AM »

I look forward to hearing Wilco (The Album) even more now!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: July 08, 2009, 09:52:40 AM »

I look forward to hearing Wilco (The Album) even more now!

They're playing the song I mentioned right now: "I Don't Care Anymore" I think it's called.

But a hellish first hour this morning (roughly 5:50 to 6:50):  They played "Our House" (Madness) and "Dream On" (Aerosmith) back-to-back right before the 6am news. Then they did one of their patented ticket-giveaway quizzes with the Stupidest. Fogheads. EVAH.** And then it was a discussion of "greatest entertainer of all time"; consensus in the studio was Springsteen, so they decided to play a Bruce tune and chose... "Born to Run".

** BONUS: they're giving away Coldplay tix; you're supposed to call when you hear Coldplay. So every time they play Snow Patrol or The Fray -- the phones light up! LOL!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The ax falls again at Cumulus
« Reply #1331 on: July 09, 2009, 12:22:51 AM »
According to this SFGate blog, longtime KFOG/KNBR/etc. station manager Tony Salvadore got shown the door after 20+ years on the job in a cost-cutting move by Cumulus. Lee Hammer, KNBR program director, has been tabbed as interim manager.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/lieberman/detail?entry_id=43264

If you recall, Salvadore was one of the many well-wishers on DM's final Morning Show, and was busted on air singing along with gusto to some really cheesy song, which I am not recalling at this hour.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 12:26:04 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The ax falls again at Cumulus
« Reply #1332 on: July 09, 2009, 08:22:34 AM »
According to this SFGate blog, longtime KFOG/KNBR/etc. station manager Tony Salvadore got shown the door after 20+ years on the job in a cost-cutting move by Cumulus. Lee Hammer, KNBR program director, has been tabbed as interim manager.

If you recall, Salvadore was one of the many well-wishers on DM's final Morning Show, and was busted on air singing along with gusto to some really cheesy song, which I am not recalling at this hour.

There's a thread about this on the radio-info SF board:

http://boards.radio-info.com/smf/index.php?topic=148371.0

look for the comments from former KFOG'er M Dung (he posts there as "dungboy".)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: July 13, 2009, 08:44:07 AM »
This morning it's "My Music Monday" -- Fogheads requesting their favorite songs (and explaining why they're faves) -- it's Request-O-Rama without the quiz questions. One guy made my day by asking for Joni's "Carey".

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The ax falls again at Cumulus
« Reply #1334 on: July 13, 2009, 09:27:47 AM »

There's a thread about this on the radio-info SF board:

http://boards.radio-info.com/smf/index.php?topic=148371.0

look for the comments from former KFOG'er M Dung (he posts there as "dungboy".)

I think geoff will geta  kick out of this. Someone this posted on the radio-info board

There's a well circulated story about Mr. Salvadore helping himself to a chocolate chip cookie out of a bag in the studio during a mid-eighties early evening shift.  Later, when he thought he was having a heart attack at a local restaurant he had to be rushed to the emergency room.  He had been warned by the person on duty NOT to eat the cookie.  There was more than chocolate chips in that cookie....

to which MDung replied

LOL! One of the great radio stories! That person would be me.( I was there doing production and Amir was on the air doing his show, I did tell Tony not to eat the cookies ) Amir Monsbacker ( the orignial host of the Psychedelic Psupper ) was fired over the incident. Tony wasn't the only one dosed, he and the sales manager were on there way to a client dinner...you would not believe how hard the s_h_i_t  hit the fan the next day! Tony called Dave Logan from the hospital asking what to do...Logan told him to relax, put on some headphones and listen to Hendrix! LOL

That is too funny.