Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096517 times)

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1305 on: June 18, 2009, 12:40:10 PM »
KFOG's ex-PD Benson gets a new gig, at Seattle's "The Mountain" (the station that did that great "100 greatest rip-offs" countdown some months back).

Tell me more about this "100 greatest rip-offs", please.  Google didn't turn up anything useful, but I didn't really spend that much time searching.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: June 18, 2009, 08:21:04 PM »
KFOG's ex-PD Benson gets a new gig, at Seattle's "The Mountain" (the station that did that great "100 greatest rip-offs" countdown some months back).

Tell me more about this "100 greatest rip-offs", please.  Google didn't turn up anything useful, but I didn't really spend that much time searching.

It was a list of songs that rip-off other songs ("My Sweet Lord", which rips off "He's So Fine", was #2 iirc) I'll find the link and post it tomorrow if my work computer is back up (see "I'm Tryin' to Tell You Somethin' 'Bout My Life" thread).
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: June 19, 2009, 07:56:30 AM »
Mike Krukow on KFOG this AM.  he's fun.

said players used to bribe kids w baseballs to go get hotdogs for the dugout players. They "had to chew in cadence," b/c  in case the mgr turned his head, they all had to stop chewing at the same time. 

he also said the first vinyl he ever bought was Meet The Beatles, even though he didn't have a record player.  Wbster then played All My Lovin' (yay!)
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: June 19, 2009, 08:02:21 AM »

said players used to bribe kids w baseballs to go get hotdogs for the dugout players. They "had to chew in cadence," b/c  in case the mgr turned his head, they all had to stop chewing at the same time. 

he also said the first vinyl he ever bought was Meet The Beatles, even though he didn't have a record player.  Wbster then played All My Lovin' (yay!)

it was kinda funny -- they're doing this salute to viinyl but Webster Renee and Greg admitted they no longer own any large collections. Renee had one LP that she bought at a garage sale in SF; it was ELO's Discovery (or "Disco? Very!" as we used to call it). They played "Diary of Horace Wimpp".

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: June 19, 2009, 08:13:47 AM »

it was kinda funny -- they're doing this salute to viinyl but Webster Renee and Greg admitted they no longer own any large collections. Renee had one LP that she bought at a garage sale in SF; it was ELO's Discovery (or "Disco? Very!" as we used to call it). They played "Diary of Horace Wimpp".

heard some of that. Thought I heard Greg read an listener email which mentioned the album It Ain't Easy by one Long John Barley??  Maybe the listener mis-typed and Greg didn't correct it (Dave obviously would have caught that one), or maybe I misheard it....  it was early, so it was prob my sleepy ears.
~CPL593H~

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1310 on: June 19, 2009, 09:20:30 AM »
harrumph!  In typical fashion, their label quiz ignores the first label of Fleetwood Mac; they didn't go to Reprise in the US until Then Play On.

Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: June 19, 2009, 09:20:30 AM »
in keeping with the vinyl theme, the Pop Quiz was "we name the bands, you name the label" -- Music Geek Heaven!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: June 19, 2009, 09:23:49 AM »
harrumph!  In typical fashion, their label quiz ignores the first label of Fleetwood Mac; they didn't go to Reprise in the US until Then Play On.

opposite for Joni Mitchell, who started on Reprise but went to Asylum for her biggest LP.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: June 19, 2009, 09:29:11 AM »
Turns out "Vinyl Saturday" will be a monthly thing:

http://www.amoeba.com/content/record-store-day-vinyl-saturday.html

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: June 19, 2009, 10:15:14 AM »

heh, I thought that was your visual "harumph" until I noticed it was FM album cover. How very fitting!  good one, Geoff.

Dave would NEVER have let that quiz error slip by...  shocked, I say!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 10:43:16 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: June 19, 2009, 04:25:08 PM »

in keeping with the vinyl theme, the Pop Quiz was "we name the bands, you name the label" -- Music Geek Heaven!

I heard it in the car & wondered who among us was listening.

btw, did you notice that you & Geoff posted about the label quiz at the *exact* same second!?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: June 19, 2009, 09:48:03 PM »

That to my eyes is right down there with that King Crimson monstrosity as Most Awful Album Covers Ever.  Fmac had some weird taste in artwork back then.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: June 19, 2009, 10:02:37 PM »

That to my eyes is right down there with that King Crimson monstrosity as Most Awful Album Covers Ever.  Fmac had some weird taste in artwork back then.

In case you don't know, that's Mick Fleetwood on the cover.  This is the album we listened to where we first heard the song "Black Magic Woman."

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: June 19, 2009, 10:23:58 PM »

In case you don't know, that's Mick Fleetwood on the cover.  This is the album we listened to where we first heard the song "Black Magic Woman."

And Mick makes a wack, tragic woman.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: June 19, 2009, 11:37:28 PM »

And Mick makes a wack, tragic woman.

Mick has no shame!