Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096616 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1290 on: June 03, 2009, 07:38:32 AM »
Nothing like starting the day with an OMGWTFLOL: in the 6:00 hour, the Request-O-Rama winner asked for and got The Clash, "Ghetto Defendant"!!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: June 04, 2009, 07:58:27 AM »
KFOG Pet Peeve, # 3,765,402: when they play that sounder that says "Here's New Music! On New Releases Thursday!" and follow it with something that's... 6 months old. This morning they did it with Adele's "Right as Rain". Sheesh.

They were reading more emails in praise of "the new 10@10"; one guy gushed over the 1966 set, and requested that they do '65 and '64.  Gotta think they wouldn't've read it if it wasn't gonna happen at some point.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: June 08, 2009, 07:54:13 AM »
Accidentally discovered that KFOG repeats the Sunday nite "Sideshow" on Saturday nites, for those who have difficulty choosing between Kelly Ransford and Little Steven.

Speaking of LS, he did his annual Combo Platter saluting Dean Martin, Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazlewood. I'd forgotten that Hazlewood produced Duane Eddy's "Rebel Rouser" (a DM Strictly Instrumental fave). And yes, Steven played "One Velvet Morning". Worth catching up with on the replay via London's Absolute Radio today at Noon Pacific.  Scroll down to the "Listen to Absolute Classic Rock" links on this page:

http://www.absoluteradio.co.uk/listen/on_your_computer.html

ETA: also, Webster's off on his first vacay since taking over for Dave -- bet he doesn't get nearly as much off-time as DM did after 27 years with the company.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 08:56:33 AM by RGMike »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: June 10, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
Putting this here only because I just heard Renee mention it:

There's an exhibit of SF-centric rock memorabilia at the Old Mint today thru Sunday, presented by Wolfgang's Vault (the folks who bought the BGP archive for a song from SFX/Clear Channel a few years ago) and the SF Historical Society. $10 a pop to see it--from what I am told it's well worth it. I would not miss this if I were going to be anywhere near the 415.
http://www.sfhistory.org/index.php?pageid=20
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: June 11, 2009, 09:42:26 AM »
They just played "Sugarfoot" by Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears (I think I got all that right) as part of new releases Thursday.  Certainly NTM.  Your basic James Brown ripoff, but enjoyable still.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: June 11, 2009, 09:49:44 AM »
They just played "Sugarfoot" by Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears (I think I got all that right) as part of new releases Thursday.  Certainly NTM.  Your basic James Brown ripoff, but enjoyable still.

We discussed that song here a couple weeks back (I like it alot and I posted the YouTube clip, which is fab, both here and on Facebook). Apparently they only play it on "New Releases Thursday" and forget about it the rest of the week. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UOJUbiWC5M
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 09:53:04 AM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: June 12, 2009, 07:35:41 AM »
Putting this here only because I just heard Renee mention it:

There's an exhibit of SF-centric rock memorabilia at the Old Mint today thru Sunday, presented by Wolfgang's Vault (the folks who bought the BGP archive for a song from SFX/Clear Channel a few years ago) and the SF Historical Society. $10 a pop to see it--from what I am told it's well worth it. I would not miss this if I were going to be anywhere near the 415.
http://www.sfhistory.org/index.php?pageid=20

I have to chk this out.. I work on the next block.  Long lunch!
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: June 15, 2009, 12:31:13 PM »
more budget-cutting?  Peter is on vacay and instead of having an in-studio newsperson (like Marty from Channel 4 or 5 who has subbed in the past), they had some guy named David Bruce or somesuch 2-first-names monicker, who clearly was not there with them -- probably a Metro Traffic person who is a lot cheaper than a freelancer.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: June 16, 2009, 07:46:34 AM »
Morning show crew are talking about OCD quirks.  Greg rides his bike around the block to make sure he hits the mileage he promised himself: if it's at 49 , he rides til it's 50 if that's what he wanted to ride (makes sense).

Renee has to check the alarm clock at least twice before finally sleeping.

Webster mentioned something about driving someplace and then having to turn around and go back home to make sure something is ok.
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: June 16, 2009, 10:21:33 AM »
Morning show crew are talking about OCD quirks.  Greg rides his bike around the block to make sure he hits the mileage he promised himself: if it's at 49 , he rides til it's 50 if that's what he wanted to ride (makes sense).

Webster mentioned something about driving someplace and then having to turn around and go back home to make sure something is ok.

Was this inspired by the OCD show on A&E?  That show is unnerving and more than a little depressing.

BTW, I had the unpleasant experience recently of validating one of my OCD quirks: I'll get up out of bed, thinking I've somehow forgotten to lock the door, sometimes a few times a night.  A couple of weeks ago, I did this - and the door was indeed unlocked!  Apparently I'd forgotten about it after lugging groceries in.  Gah.  Will make it all the harder to shut off that behavior.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: June 16, 2009, 10:56:47 AM »

Was this inspired by the OCD show on A&E?  That show is unnerving and more than a little depressing.

BTW, I had the unpleasant experience recently of validating one of my OCD quirks: I'll get up out of bed, thinking I've somehow forgotten to lock the door, sometimes a few times a night.  A couple of weeks ago, I did this - and the door was indeed unlocked!  Apparently I'd forgotten about it after lugging groceries in.  Gah.  Will make it all the harder to shut off that behavior.

I often have that kind of fear, especially about turning off things.  After I made my sister go over to my old place and check to see if I'd left the iron on a couple times (I was at work), she bought me one that turns of automatically after a while.  Didn't trust that, so I just stopped ironing altogether.  Just call me "Wrinkles".   8)
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: June 16, 2009, 01:03:27 PM »
KFOG's ex-PD Benson gets a new gig, at Seattle's "The Mountain" (the station that did that great "100 greatest rip-offs" countdown some months back).

KMTT (103.7 The Mountain) Seattle has named veteran programmer and former KFOG San Francisco PD Dave Benson new Program Director. In April, Dave exited the PD post at Cumulus' KFOG San Francisco after nine years. Entercom/Seattle OM Dave Richards said in a statement, "Every radio format, like every business, has its leaders, the two or three who are the best at what they do. In Triple A radio, Dave Benson is that person." Dave added, "I feel very fortunate to be invited to join the good folks on the Mountain and the Entercom/Seattle group. I am excited to join a radio company that is focused in the future." Prior to KFOG, Dave programmed KBCO Boulder-Denver and was a consultant with SBR Creative Media. Dave replaces former KMTT PD Kevin Welch who exited last month. He starts at The Mountain effective July 27.

Hrm... wonder if Benson will decide to start doing a 10@10 in Seattle?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: June 16, 2009, 02:31:21 PM »
came across the KFOG thread on Yelp:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/kfog-fm-104-5-and-97-7-san-francisco

my favorite comment:

I grew up listening to Dave Morey, I enjoyed listening to him as an adult.  I was upset when he left.  I thought I could get over it.   I thought KFOG was smart by having one of their other DJs come in while they did a search for a new host.  I did not realize how long I would be stuck with Webster.  Webster: why must you introduce Peter, Renee and Gregg after every commercial break?  We know who they are.  We want to hear more of them talking and less of you introducing them.  We want to hear you say "um" less, and have more confidence in what you are saying.  I wanted you to succeed, but over 3 months into this thing you still don't have the hang of it and I am losing hope.  KFOG:  Please fix the morning show soon.  I really want to continue to listen to it, but you are making it hard on me.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: June 16, 2009, 08:11:38 PM »
came across the KFOG thread on Yelp:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/kfog-fm-104-5-and-97-7-san-francisco

my favorite comment:

I grew up listening to Dave Morey, I enjoyed listening to him as an adult.  I was upset when he left.  I thought I could get over it.   I thought KFOG was smart by having one of their other DJs come in while they did a search for a new host.  I did not realize how long I would be stuck with Webster.  Webster: why must you introduce Peter, Renee and Gregg after every commercial break?  We know who they are.  We want to hear more of them talking and less of you introducing them.  We want to hear you say "um" less, and have more confidence in what you are saying.  I wanted you to succeed, but over 3 months into this thing you still don't have the hang of it and I am losing hope.  KFOG:  Please fix the morning show soon.  I really want to continue to listen to it, but you are making it hard on me.

Did you see this one?

It's all about the 10@10 baby.

I put on my headphones, crank up the volume and place my sign up:

DO NOT APPROACH!  THE KFOG 10@10 IS ON.  IF YOU DARE SPEAK TO ME WHILE:

1)  THEY ARE ANNOUNCING THE YEAR OF TODAYS SET
2)  THEY ARE ANNOUNCING SONG WHICH HAS BEEN VOTED BEST OF SET
3)  YOU SEE ME LIP SYNCING LYRICS OR DOING THE "BOTTOM LIP BIT HEAD GROOVE"

I WILL MAKE THE REST OF YOUR DAY A LIVING HELL.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS MATTER.

CORDIALLY,
KAYJAY

They now play a 10@10 Saturday morning marathon, which plays the past weeks sets one after the other from 7:00 a.m. to 11:30.  I'm finding this can be a wonderful way to spend a weekend morning.  That is, of course, other than a post hook-up morning. 

One morning, *he* awoke to get a little morning nookie after a little post bar nookie four hours earlier.  The problem?  His alarm clock is set to automatically turn on, softly, at around 7 a.m.  What station is it set to?  You guessed it.  KFOG.

So, there I am, in the middle of getting a little early morning nookie and I'm singing along to the lyrics of Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill (Deal With God)".

I now notice he no longer has the alarm clock set to go off at 7 a.m.  I'm thinkin' that may have bothered him.?

Some people will share *anything* on the interweb.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: June 17, 2009, 12:30:54 PM »
The KFOG website says Friday is "Vinyl Friday"  And a great pic of Annalisa in front of the wall of albums in the library, promoting 10@10..