Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096536 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1275 on: May 28, 2009, 08:32:36 AM »
AAAAAAAAAACK! Horror of horrors: Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillet have recorded a duet (a seriously wimpy/sappy number called "I'm Lucky") and KFOG is playing it.  Talk about Mraz-tastically Feist-y. Instant HFH for me.

Title is just "Lucky," and it was actually released several months ago as a single (it's on Mraz's year-plus-old album).  Sorry you don't like it, but I'm not surprised.

Turns out the song served an interesting purpose:  The morning crew made fun of Greg because he likes it; they characterized it as a "girly", "Chick" song.  So they were inundated with emails like:

"On a day when many Californians are waiting to find out if they're going to be made second-class citizens, you decide to act like you're in the 7th grade and question Greg's masculinity because he likes a sensitive song?"

and my favorite:

"I've listened to KFOG since 1990... was it really only Dave Morey's presence that led you to have a modicum of tolerance all this time? Sheesh!"

I'm glad the KFOG morning crew isn't modeling themselves after the Bone's Lamont and Toe-naily, but can't they bust some balls sometimes?  poking fun at Greg for liking a "chick" song seems something they might've done even w Dave around. But to be fair, Dave would've reined them in and brought them back to a more mature level at some point.  I must admit I barely listen to the Morning show these days, I've never taken to some of the on-air staff.

this issue came up again this morning.  an emailer ('Tom") wrote to say that people were being too sensitive about he whole thing, that critiquing music on a radio show has its place, that liking a "chick" song has nothing to do with sexuality or gender issues (true dat), and that Jason Mraz should be the one getting the hate, b/c HE wrote the trite formulaic pop song that was targeted to women (I don't know how, specifically, haven't heard it).  I agree with Tom.
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: May 28, 2009, 08:43:45 AM »
liking a "chick" song has nothing to do with sexuality or gender issues (true dat)

But calling someone a "sissy" for liking said "chick" song has PLENTY to do with sexuality and gender issues.  Sorry, but I'm still humorless about this.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: May 28, 2009, 08:45:32 AM »
an emailer ('Tom") wrote to say... that Jason Mraz should be the one getting the hate, b/c HE wrote the trite formulaic pop song that was targeted to women (I don't know how, specifically, haven't heard it).  I agree with Tom.

indeed, I'm all for giving Mr. A-to-B the hate  ;)  And it *is* a "trite formulaic pop song that was targeted to women" -- one of those "I'm in love with my best friend" wallows in sappiness that women love because it's something men rarely say unprompted.

And gaz is absolutely right in his comment above.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: May 28, 2009, 08:49:27 AM »
liking a "chick" song has nothing to do with sexuality or gender issues (true dat)

But calling someone a "sissy" for liking said "chick" song has PLENTY to do with sexuality and gender issues.  Sorry, but I'm still humorless about this.

I didn't hear it, so I don't know if "sissy" was used.  If the comments were ad hominem attacks, along the lines of "you're feminine because you like this song" then that's not cool.  But just poking fun at Greg for liking a song that seems "girly" is ok. 

Of course, the whole lame part of this is that they played Jason Mraz at all.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 08:51:38 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: May 28, 2009, 08:56:59 AM »
re: Jason Mraz, chick songs, etc.   i have to say also that the morning show banter is never really my idea of a great time.  I used to listen a lot more when Dave was on, and HE was the reason. It was NEVER the other folks, and that still holds.  I am not surprised that they resorted to poking fun at Greg for liking a "girly" song, but they prob should have targeted JM more than Greg. 
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: May 28, 2009, 08:58:32 AM »
Of course, the whole lame part of this is that they played Jason Mraz at all.  ;)

Chart Watch: Mraz's unpopular-here "I'm Yours" rebounds from 33 to 27 in its 58th chart week.  (Slight uptick perhaps due to his appearing on the AI finale.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: May 28, 2009, 08:59:15 AM »
but they prob should have targeted JM more than Greg. 

Indeed, I'm far more of a Mraz defender than Greg is.  :)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: May 28, 2009, 09:05:03 AM »

is he not men? he is Mraz-O!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: May 28, 2009, 09:08:04 AM »

Lame?  Now it's okay to be insensitive to cripples?  You bastard!   ;)
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: May 28, 2009, 09:09:31 AM »

Lame?  Now it's okay to be insensitive to cripples?  You bastard!   ;)

I agree -- that was, like, a totally retarded thing to say.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: May 28, 2009, 09:09:40 AM »

LOL.

and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: May 28, 2009, 09:21:03 AM »

I like his hats, actually. Here he is without a hat .. or pants!  (ETA: Obviously it's time for a Jason Mraz dedicated thread!)

~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: May 28, 2009, 09:25:59 AM »

I like his hats, actually. Here he is without a hat .. or pants!  (ETA: Obviously it's time for a Jason Mraz dedicated thread!)

that was totally unnecessary.  The guy is FUGLY. Seriously. Ugh.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: May 28, 2009, 09:30:28 AM »

Sorry, I should have just made a link and labeled it NSFRGM.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: May 28, 2009, 09:47:40 AM »

Sorry, I should have just made a link and labeled it NSFRGM.

LOL! And I know Gaz is tired of me dissing the guy (I'll stop after this, I swear) but in addition to the fact that I find his music and voice annoying, I think he's downright unattractive. Not even remotely cute, much less handsome or sexy. Dorky, and not in an endearing way. Good gawd. "To each his own" indeed.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 09:51:33 AM by RGMike »