Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096568 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1260 on: May 21, 2009, 01:06:30 PM »
came across the Triple-A format charts and here's the current Top Ten, nationally:

1    DAVE MATTHEWS BAND Funny The Way It Is
2    U2 Magnificent
3    SNOW PATROL Crack The Shutters
4    KINGS OF LEON Use Somebody
5    COLDPLAY Life In Technicolor ii
6    JAMES MORRISON Nothing Ever Hurt Like You
7    MAT KEARNEY Closer To Love
8    GREEN DAY Know Your Enemy
9    CHRIS ISAAK We Let Her Down 
10  GOMEZ Airstream Driver

Most are heavy-rotaion on KFOG, tho' they just started playing Kings of Leon very recently after ignoring them for years.  I don't think they're playing the Gomez, but I could be wrong.

And I'm astounded that that Fray song about the corner of 1st & Amistad, which I misidentified as Snow Patrol on FB, and which I hear Every. Fucking. Morning on KFOG, isn't even in the Top 30!

« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 01:10:41 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: May 21, 2009, 03:01:31 PM »
I listen to KFOG for less than an hour a day outside of 10@10. Nevertheless, we are reaching the time of year when I really wish Ka-Boom would hurry up and get over. Getting really tired of hearing Los Lonely Boys every damn time I tune in.

LOL! Indeed, I also listen to KFOG for less than 90 min a day outside of 10@10 -- an hour or so in the morning and occasionally the 15-20 mins before the replay at nite -- and yet I still hear the heavy-rotation stuff (Snow Patrol, The Fray) every goddamn day.  Which makes ya wonder how many spins a week those songs are getting!

I'll take Snow Patrol over Los Lonely Boys any day.  Maybe they're lonely b/c they play boring music...?

Oh hells no.  I'll take LLB over SP any day.  This despite the fact that I own no LLB albums and my wife is a SP fan.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: May 21, 2009, 03:10:15 PM »
came across the Triple-A format charts and here's the current Top Ten, nationally:

And I'm astounded that that Fray song about the corner of 1st & Amistad, which I misidentified as Snow Patrol on FB, and which I hear Every. Fucking. Morning on KFOG, isn't even in the Top 30!

Ugh, yeah I hate that Fray song.  According to my increasingly fallible playlist logger (KFOG's "Now Playing" widget consistently misidentifies Susan Tedeschi's "People" as Dave Matthews Band's "Raven", which I've never heard) it's getting played at 2-3 times a day, going back to November.  It must test really well.  Fug.

Gomez is super rarely played -- not the track from that list, and mainly during Acoustic Sunrise/Sunset.  Rosalie's a fan, methinks.

More stats to come...  Also some comments on Kelly Ransford.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: May 21, 2009, 03:26:19 PM »
BTW, that "1st and Amistad" song by The Fray is entitled "You Found Me" in case you wanted to send an un-request to kfog@kfog.com.  :}

I complained about that damned Evanescence song, and they're playing it less, but that probably is because the track isn't as "hot" as it once was.

Oh, that Snow Patrol song, "Crack the Shutters"?  Yeah, it's getting played like 2-3 times a day.

I'd be happy as a clam if they played Black Joe Lewis ("Gunpowder") on any day other than Thursday.  Or James Hunter.  Or something *else* off of Adele's album.  Or good lord, Ms. Sharon Jones.

Do Fogheads hate anything with a hint of soul?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: May 21, 2009, 03:46:47 PM »
I'd be happy as a clam if they played Black Joe Lewis ("Gunpowder") on any day other than Thursday.  Or James Hunter.  Or something *else* off of Adele's album.  Or good lord, Ms. Sharon Jones.

Do Fogheads hate anything with a hint of soul?

indeed -- that's why I was floored to have heard Black Joe Lewis more than once; they tried to play Sharon Jones a year or so ago but she never got anywhere with Fogheads (she doesn't sound enough like Feist, I guess).  That Triple-A in Seattle, The Mountain, plays Raphael Saddiq, fer chrissakes! But Fogheads are the same with country-tinged stuff, they're very picky about even which Steve Earle tracks they'll tolerate.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 03:48:56 PM by RGMike »

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: May 21, 2009, 03:52:13 PM »
so Benson is the PD, then who is the MD?  and which of these titles is really responsible for the (IMHO) mostly tepid programming we typically hear on KFOG?  I think I heard KFOG's share is decreasing -- maybe from a Ben Fong Torres piece in the Chronicle -- so perhaps mgt is throwing Benson under the bus thinking the dipping numbers are his fault.   But if they stick with the same tired stuff, they might realize people now are just plain sick of AAA playlists.

what do you think?

the MD is the woman who does that Sun nite show ("Sideshow"?). It's not clear if Benson's being forced out or is leaving of his own accord. Cumulus (like most companies that own a lot of radio stations) is in deep shite, moneywise.

personally, I think AAA is one of the most boring formats around: Snow Patrol, Coldplay, The Fray and 87 Feist-alikes are my idea of hell and that's why I don't listen to KFOG except for about an hour of the Morning show and 10@10.
Quote from: urth
This explains why Kelly Ransford (the MD) did the New Music Thursday bit on the Morning Show last week rather than Benson. He probably had one foot out the door by then, and odds are he won't get the chance to say "bye-bye" like Dave did.

Not sure if KFOG has lost numbers or not. They used to be ranked somewhere in the teens, and iirc, they tied for #9 in the most recent book. Don't know how that translates to numbers, but they've got more stations chasing them than they used to.

Unlike I guess many of you, we listen to KFOG a lot.  From the last 2 hours of the morning show, 10@10, throughout the day, and into the evening, off and on.  We'll switch to KQED for news and certain shows, but otherwise it's KFOG in the background all the time.

Yeah, their programming is annoyingly bland, but barring me finally getting off my ass and ripping our CDs and setting up that centralized MP3 server, it's hard to not be lazy and just have the kid turn on the radio.  (Anyways, so many of our CDs are so old...)

Unfortunately, as radio goes, what's the alternative?  In the car I'll flip to KSCU, Live 105, Kiss FM and KMEL.  But at home, it's easier just to leave it on KFOG.

Now, as to Kelly Ransford.  I think you'd be surprised if you tuned into her Sunday Night Side Show.  She plays some great, really great, really new music.  It's a lot less "jam band" oriented as Mike Powers' old show in the same slot.

UNFORTUNATELY, when she was on the Morning Show doing New Music Thursdays, she herself claimed that she plays stuff on Sunday nights that she could never play during the rest of the week because it "doesn't fit the format."  In fact, shortly after getting back from South by Southwest, she was did a Morning Show appearance where she talked about how she was on a panel at South by Southwest (this one) where they asked panelists to grade songs for their suitability for play on their respective stations (or TV shows or commercials).  One of the songs was by Flight of the Conchords (who we're seeing Monday, courtesy of KFOG, hooray!).  It was of course hilarious and it made me so happy to hear it.  Coming back, everyone was laughing, but when Greg asked what grade she gave it, it was of course a 0.  She loved the song, but it wouldn't "fit".  Such FUCKING BULLSHIT.  Well, ok, a comedy song probably isn't such a great fit.  But there's so much more they could play.

But I suppose KFOG isn't there to challenge the listener, but rather cater to the lowest-common denominator.  Fucking a.  You don't know how many times I wish KPIG's signal reached me in Sunnyvale/San Jose (and while I love it to death, I do need a little rock once in a while.)

I've e-mailed Kelly a couple of times to rave about the great stuff she plays on Sunday nights (ZOMG Grace Potter and the Nocturnals would so too fit in regular KFOG rotation), and she's always answered back positively and knowledgably.

But it's incredibly sad that somebody with such a wide wealth of musical knowledge has to "dumb it down" for the average Foghead in pursuit of the almighty rating.  It's all about not playing anything to jarring so as to keep them from switching channels.

Fuck.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: May 21, 2009, 04:03:48 PM »
And oh yeah, fuck Seal.

I even like that new cover of "Knock on Wood" despite the over-production.  But soon enough the shine will wear off of that and they'll be back to playing their old standby "Crazy".

It's as if they keep him on the playlist to prove that it's not all music by white guys (and a few gals).

Anyways, I decided to drop Kelly Ransford and kfog@kfog.com a note just now bemoaning the fact that they don't ever play anything new, then I looked at today's playlist and realized that they do.  Just only on Thursdays.

I told her I really really wish they'd spread those songs out to the rest of the week.  It's good stuff:

Thu May 21 13:57:01 2009        North Mississippi Allstars      EYES    Polaris
Thu May 21 14:48:01 2009        ANI DIFRANCO    IN THE WAY      Revelling Reckoning
Thu May 21 15:18:01 2009        GARAGE A TROIS  SPRUNG MONKEY   Emphasizer
Thu May 21 15:45:02 2009        Original Soundtrack     CAN YOU PLEASE CRAWL OUT        I'm Not There (Great cover of the Dylan tune by The Hold Steady)

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: May 21, 2009, 04:22:43 PM »
Oh, only related because I was thinking about long-departed Bay Area DJs:
http://www.radiofreejack.com/live105.htm

Some nice live footage by Alex Bennett of his Live 105 show back around 1997.  Fast-forward through to check out live performance by Mojo Nixon of "Bring Me the Head of David Geffen", and a couple of songs by They Might Be Giants.

Kind of charming, really.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: May 21, 2009, 08:58:36 PM »
Oh, only related because I was thinking about long-departed Bay Area DJs:
http://www.radiofreejack.com/live105.htm

Some nice live footage by Alex Bennett of his Live 105 show back around 1997.  Fast-forward through to check out live performance by Mojo Nixon of "Bring Me the Head of David Geffen", and a couple of songs by They Might Be Giants.

Kind of charming, really.

I first listened to Alex in NYC when I was 14 -- 1969, he began working at WMCA, a Top 40 station that was planning to transition to talk. Alex did an overnight call-in show (he was their "house radical-lefty") and on the weekend he jocked. A tremendous influence on my young mind and my developing political consciousness.  He stayed in NY until 1980 or so and moved back west, he was on The Quake and KMEL and then Live 105. When I moved here in '91 it was like rediscovering an old friend.  And his show was a classic example of what you're talking about above; they'd get letters complaining the show had too much "smart stuff" on it. That (and the fact that Alex was aging way past Live 105's demo and his cranky-old-man shtick was alienating the kids) was why he eventually got canned. Last I heard he's with Sirius.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: May 26, 2009, 08:45:11 AM »
AAAAAAAAAACK! Horror of horrors: Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillet have recorded a duet (a seriously wimpy/sappy number called "I'm Lucky") and KFOG is playing it.  Talk about Mraz-tastically Feist-y. Instant HFH for me.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: May 26, 2009, 10:24:13 AM »
AAAAAAAAAACK! Horror of horrors: Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillet have recorded a duet (a seriously wimpy/sappy number called "I'm Lucky") and KFOG is playing it.  Talk about Mraz-tastically Feist-y. Instant HFH for me.

Title is just "Lucky," and it was actually released several months ago as a single (it's on Mraz's year-plus-old album).  Sorry you don't like it, but I'm not surprised.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: May 27, 2009, 08:03:05 AM »

Title is just "Lucky," and it was actually released several months ago as a single (it's on Mraz's year-plus-old album).  Sorry you don't like it, but I'm not surprised.

Turns out the song served an interesting purpose:  The morning crew made fun of Greg because he likes it; they characterized it as a "girly", "Chick" song.  So they were inundated with emails like:

"On a day when many Californians are waiting to find out if they're going to be made second-class citizens, you decide to act like you're in the 7th grade and question Greg's masculinity because he likes a sensitive song?"

and my favorite:

"I've listened to KFOG since 1990... was it really only Dave Morey's presence that led you to have a modicum of tolerance all this time? Sheesh!"

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: May 27, 2009, 10:03:53 AM »
Turns out the song served an interesting purpose:  The morning crew made fun of Greg because he likes it; they characterized it as a "girly", "Chick" song.  So they were inundated with emails like:

"On a day when many Californians are waiting to find out if they're going to be made second-class citizens, you decide to act like you're in the 7th grade and question Greg's masculinity because he likes a sensitive song?"

and my favorite:

"I've listened to KFOG since 1990... was it really only Dave Morey's presence that led you to have a modicum of tolerance all this time? Sheesh!"

This is how the sins of the fathers become the sins of the sons.

Christ I hate people sometimes.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: May 27, 2009, 10:19:07 AM »

and my favorite:

I like it too.  But then, I'm kind of a sucker for such sappy pop.

I also like Feist.  Although we're going to use her Sesame Street version of "1234" for my son's end-of-year preschool slide show:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ9WiuJPnNA

To be fair, we saw her live in Bumbershoot, where she proved to be more than just a one-hit wonder and headed up a very engaging band.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: May 27, 2009, 10:28:33 AM »

and my favorite:

I'm glad the KFOG morning crew isn't modeling themselves after the Bone's Lamont and Toe-naily, but can't they bust some balls sometimes?  poking fun at Greg for liking a "chick" song seems something they might've done even w Dave around. But to be fair, Dave would've reined them in and brought them back to a more mature level at some point.  I must admit I barely listen to the Morning show these days, I've never taken to some of the on-air staff.
~CPL593H~