Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096554 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1245 on: May 06, 2009, 10:00:59 AM »
So, is anyone Kaboom-ing this year? The weather forecast is superb, which means better than last year when fog obscured downtown from my usual Twin Peaks perch.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: May 06, 2009, 01:00:32 PM »
Got a reply from Ben Fong-Torresdoes anyone (Davefish?) have Dave's M's email?   
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 03:17:27 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: May 06, 2009, 02:53:15 PM »
So, is anyone Kaboom-ing this year? The weather forecast is superb, which means better than last year when fog obscured downtown from my usual Twin Peaks perch.

I always plan on it, but have no actual logistics worked out yet.  The last 2 yrs we went with a Castro Valley family with kids the same age as mine.  The first time we just happened to bump into them coming off BART & stuck together.  Last year we planned it that way & walking back past the Embarcadero Center their daughter found a $100 dollar bill on the sidewalk(!)

Don't know that we'll hook up with them this time though.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: May 06, 2009, 03:47:54 PM »
Check out our newest member, joined today.  Dave, you there bub?
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: May 06, 2009, 03:54:48 PM »

OMFG!  :o

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1250 on: May 06, 2009, 04:23:38 PM »
hopefullly urth was not joking about the email address; I approved the membership.  I'd hate to toss him out as spam if it really was him!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: May 06, 2009, 08:47:14 PM »
hopefullly urth was not joking about the email address; I approved the membership.  I'd hate to toss him out as spam if it really was him!

So, are you saying that "MICHIGANDAVE" gave the same email addr that urth listed above?  Interesting that the time stamps say he joined 7 minutes before urth posted the address.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1252 on: May 06, 2009, 09:27:09 PM »

So, are you saying that "MICHIGANDAVE" gave the same email addr that urth listed above?  Interesting that the time stamps say he joined 7 minutes before urth posted the address.
let's move this discussion to the Forum Feedback area for discretion.  I have more to say there.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: May 09, 2009, 09:53:02 PM »

I always plan on it, but have no actual logistics worked out yet.  The last 2 yrs we went with a Castro Valley family with kids the same age as mine.  The first time we just happened to bump into them coming off BART & stuck together.  Last year we planned it that way & walking back past the Embarcadero Center their daughter found a $100 dollar bill on the sidewalk(!)

Don't know that we'll hook up with them this time though.

Well, just got back.  It was... good. Nothing earth-shattering or even better-than-last-year-ish. Just good.  It ran less than 20 mins, seemed to me it was the shortest ever, but then I didn't get to see it last year due to the fog (remember the first year that it wasn't free and they kept saying it would be longer and it wasn't really?).

Anyway, musically it was a nice mix -- opening with the Superman sndtk was cool and the biggest "WTF?" was AC/DC's "Big Balls".  And they managed to avoid Jason Mraz AND the Feist-alikes AND Coldplay, which was most impressive.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 11:18:13 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: May 11, 2009, 09:33:11 AM »
Someone posted this on the radio-info SF thread.  I never knew the story of how Monty Hall came to replace Don Pardo for a while on 10@10...

Don Pardo was the original "host" starting in 1982.  He was under contract with KFOG/General Electric, the owners at the time.

Monty Hall was brought in when Pardo's contract with KFOG/Susequehanna wasn't renewed (he wanted more money).  Turns out Monty Hall's son worked at Channel 2, KTVU, and was a huge Dave Morey fan.  He often called the request line and eventually, he and Dave developed a phone "friendship."  Dave told Hall's son about the dilemma he and the station found themselves in and Hall's son said he'd talk to his dad.  After negotiations with Monty Hall's management and Susquehanna's Pennsylvania people, an agreement was reached.

Seems odd that Don had a contract; I assumed he'd recorded all those inserts in one sitting for a flat one-time fee, since his voice isn't heard saying the year after the '70s.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: May 13, 2009, 09:46:22 AM »
Tuned in to KFOG early and got Jason Mraz checking his tongue in the mirror again. Ewww.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: May 14, 2009, 10:02:41 AM »
KFOG, and I think other area stations, frequently feature a voiceover talent whose voice really bugs me.  -- like every word he says is a little TOO modulated.  he just did an online spot for San Jose Rep Theater's "25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee," but he does other stuff.   Anyone know what I mean??
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: May 14, 2009, 10:04:30 AM »
KFOG, and I think other area stations, frequently feature a voiceover talent whose voice really bugs me.  -- like every word he says is a little TOO modulated.  he just did an online spot for San Jose Rep Theater's "25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee," but he does other stuff.   Anyone know what I mean??

Yeah, he seems just a little to enthusiastic to be taken seriously.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: May 14, 2009, 10:05:50 AM »

He's been the regular KFOG go-to "voice guy" for some time -- and I actually heard him doing a DJ airshift recently. Think he does stuff for sister stations KNBR and the Bone too.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: May 14, 2009, 10:08:06 AM »

Yeah, he seems just a little to enthusiastic to be taken seriously.

well said.
~CPL593H~