Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096681 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1230 on: April 23, 2009, 08:25:18 AM »
they read one of those emails this morning from somebody trying to find out the name of a song: "it's got this woman and she's in a restaurant and she's pouring the coffee and watching people as they come in ..." Er, "Tom's Diner" perhaps?  I understand when they ask about current songs but one that's 20 years old?Seriously, unless you just emigrated here from Bangladesh, how could you listen to KFOG for more than a week and not know the name of that one?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: April 23, 2009, 08:40:40 AM »
they read one of those emails this morning from somebody trying to find out the name of a song: "it's got this woman and she's in a restaurant and she's pouring the coffee and watching people as they come in ..." Er, "Tom's Diner" perhaps?  I understand when they ask about current songs but one that's 20 years old?Seriously, unless you just emigrated here from Bangladesh, how could you listen to KFOG for more than a week and not know the name of that one?

I drool. 

Seriously, none of that rings a bell with me.  But mostly KFOG is background music when I'm working.  I'm not conciously listening to the songs.  I looked it up on youtube ... ah, that one.  Got it.  Sure, I've heard it a million times, but it's really not in my interest zone.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: April 23, 2009, 08:42:03 AM »

I drool. 

Seriously, none of that rings a bell with me.  But mostly KFOG is background music when I'm working.  I'm not conciously listening to the songs.  I looked it up on youtube ... ah, that one.  Got it.  Sure, I've heard it a million times, but it's really not in my interest zone.

ARrrgh -- and now it's stuck in my head!!!
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: April 23, 2009, 11:16:15 AM »

Ben Fong-Torres' column in Sunday's Chron mentions Benson's departure and says his contract was nor renewed (in the original press release it was unclear whether he'd jumped or been pushed). So it's clearly a budgetary thing, which may also explain the delay in Dave M's "return". Obviously no one's in charge right now, as the scattershot 10@10 rotation also shows.  It would not surprise me at all if they cut Mr Morey loose and had someone else do "10@10: The Next generation" with a lot more '90s and a lot less '60s/early '70s

Great minds. My response to your query over in the thread for today's non-Earth Day set about sending a note to KFOG calling them out for same is reposted below:

Efforts might be better directed in expressing a desire to get Dave producing new 10@10s again. I am thinking that it's management that's dragging their feet by this time, not Dave. If they axed Benson as a cost-cutting measure, perhaps they feel they can afford to just play re-runs that they already own and not pay DM to create new ones. They need to know that we are starting to look elsewhere for fresh material and tuning away from KFOG.

But yes, they could just as easily get someone else (Webster? Annalisa?) to start doing 10@10 Mark II.

Make no mistake, I want Dave to come back.  But if they (mgmt) really won't agree to that at this point, I bet we could collectively make a plausible proposal that they hire us to do it for them.   Seriously.

I can give you about 10 bullet points why I think this might work (given the above caveat).

"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: April 23, 2009, 11:24:03 AM »
Make no mistake, I want Dave to come back.  But if they (mgmt) really won't agree to that at this point, I bet we could collectively make a plausible proposal that they hire us to do it for them.   Seriously.

I can give you about 10 bullet points why I think this might work (given the above caveat).

I assume you mean we program the sets for Webster or Annalisa to "voice".  But I'm guessing that without Dave (who had creative autonomy) they'd focus-group the thing to death, and there'd be a lot less off-the-beaten-path songs and a lot more KFOG playlist warhorses. They'd want whoever programs it to be on a very short leash.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: April 24, 2009, 08:42:21 AM »
nice pre-10@10 surprise: Elvis C's "Radio Sweetheart" -- I'm not aware of this being in regular (or even semi-regular) KFOG rotation.

And tomorrow they'll celebrate "Interrnational Record Store Day" by playing vinyl and reminiscing!

I was in San Diego this past weekend, and drove by a tiny record called M-Music (I think it's on Park St?).  I recalled that it was Int'l Record Store Day, so we stopped in.  picked up some used stuff, taking chances on almost every one -- it was very slim pickens in their clearance bins.  (Although we missed their in-store appearances, we noted with joy (and regret) that we missed Dramarama -- yes, THE Dramarama. They were there at 4 PM Saturday.)

What I got:

Clinton - Disco and the Halfway to Discontent (members of Cornershop are in this band, so the sticker mentions, so that's why I snagged it -- snagged?)

Discovered - A Collection of Daft Punk samples (someone at work has Daft Punk on their itunes, and it's cool stuff.  btw, I love how we can all share our itunes collections over the network at work -- anyone else have that bonus set up where they are?..)

Burt Bacharach - At This Time (big fan of the Burt -- at least his 60s stuff -- we shall see about this one).

Boyz II Men - The Remix Collection (saw what's left of them at the Alameda County Fair last year, liked their Doo-Wop cum  Motown fun-kay ness.  and this purchase is to honor that experience.)

Aerosmith - Done w Mirrors.  "Let the music ... do the tockin!"

==================

Stacy picked up these:

Jarvis Cocker - Jarvis (hes from Pulp) - score!

Billy Bragg - Mr Love and Justice - another score!

Pyramids - Pyramids - wha..?  she says ReadyMade magazine gave this good reviews

Dead Can Dance - sampler, 2008 - get ready for some 4AD fun!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 08:47:46 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: April 27, 2009, 09:43:47 AM »
I listen to KFOG for less than an hour a day outside of 10@10. Nevertheless, we are reaching the time of year when I really wish Ka-Boom would hurry up and get over. Getting really tired of hearing Los Lonely Boys every damn time I tune in.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: April 27, 2009, 09:51:09 AM »
I listen to KFOG for less than an hour a day outside of 10@10. Nevertheless, we are reaching the time of year when I really wish Ka-Boom would hurry up and get over. Getting really tired of hearing Los Lonely Boys every damn time I tune in.

LOL! Indeed, I also listen to KFOG for less than 90 min a day outside of 10@10 -- an hour or so in the morning and occasionally the 15-20 mins before the replay at nite -- and yet I still hear the heavy-rotation stuff (Snow Patrol, The Fray) every goddamn day.  Which makes ya wonder how many spins a week those songs are getting!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: April 27, 2009, 10:24:32 AM »

LOL! Indeed, I also listen to KFOG for less than 90 min a day outside of 10@10 -- an hour or so in the morning and occasionally the 15-20 mins before the replay at nite -- and yet I still hear the heavy-rotation stuff (Snow Patrol, The Fray) every goddamn day.  Which makes ya wonder how many spins a week those songs are getting!

I'll take Snow Patrol over Los Lonely Boys any day.  Maybe they're lonely b/c they play boring music...?
~CPL593H~

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Gold and Silver
« Reply #1239 on: April 28, 2009, 07:43:20 AM »
in what is just another confirmation of the trivialization of my old fart hippie musical tastes, this morning when I heard them play a snippet of Brubeck's "Take 5" I thought of Quicksilver's "Gold and Silver," which is pretty much a ripoff, done Quicksilver style.  A few minutes later, they played a snippet of "Gold and Silver" and of course I knew they wouldn't play the whole thing, but then rubbed salt in the wound by playing the Killers!

:(
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Gold and Silver
« Reply #1240 on: April 28, 2009, 07:47:38 AM »
in what is just another confirmation of the trivialization of my old fart hippie musical tastes, this morning when I heard them play a snippet of Brubeck's "Take 5" I thought of Quicksilver's "Gold and Silver," which is pretty much a ripoff, done Quicksilver style.  A few minutes later, they played a snippet of "Gold and Silver" and of course I knew they wouldn't play the whole thing, but then rubbed salt in the wound by playing the Killers!

:(

As a fellow old fart, I was amazed they even acknowledged Quicksilver at all!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: April 28, 2009, 09:48:57 AM »
KFOG is playing this song "The Great Defector" by BellX1 a lot -- sounds like Chris Isaak fronting Talking Heads.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: April 28, 2009, 09:58:18 AM »
KFOG is playing this song "The Great Defector" by BellX1 a lot -- sounds like Chris Isaak fronting Talking Heads.

Hadn't thought of the THeads comparison, but def. with you on the Chris Isaak.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: April 28, 2009, 10:12:18 AM »

Had never heard of this song until now.  Listening now - totally getting the THeads vibe.  Dig it!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: April 28, 2009, 10:17:26 AM »

Had never heard of this song until now.  Listening now - totally getting the THeads vibe.  Dig it!

since KFOG is playing the new Isaak CD, I assumed when I first heard this that it was something else from it.  But the melody/backing is very Byrne-ish