Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1096554 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1215 on: April 09, 2009, 09:46:46 AM »

Fogheads drool...

Well not whoever requested Social D's version of "Rign Of Fire" (playing right this minute)

ONE MORE TIME!

That was preceeded by Joe C. coming in through the bathroom window, Rod losing you & REM knowing what's happening.  I bet the majority of listeners didn't know that "Superman" was a cover though.

And following Social D was the Byrds doing Dylan's My Back Pages, their best Dylan work imho.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 09:51:57 AM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: April 09, 2009, 09:50:33 AM »
The Morning Show is playing listener-requested favorite cover versions today. Someone actually called to suggest Pearl Jam's "Last Kiss" and Greg pointed out that it was a "Cover From Hell", thank gawd.

But about a half-hour into the show, a Foghead called and asked... "what's a 'cover song'?" Get this: she thought it had something to do with the album cover! Fogheads drool...

just tuned in and they're playing the cover of "Ring of Fire" by Social Distortion -- kudos!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: April 09, 2009, 11:40:17 AM »

Fogheads drool...
.. REM knowing what's happening.  I bet the majority of listeners didn't know that "Superman" was a cover though.

I didn't know that.  I drool!

~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: April 09, 2009, 11:50:42 AM »

Fogheads drool...
.. REM knowing what's happening.  I bet the majority of listeners didn't know that "Superman" was a cover though.

the orig, by the Clique (the B-side of their only hit, the Tommy James-penned "Sugar on Sunday"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJs_iOcjKIY

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: April 09, 2009, 12:04:51 PM »

Fogheads drool...

the orig, by the Clique (the B-side of their only hit, the Tommy James-penned "Sugar on Sunday"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJs_iOcjKIY

The REM version sure didn't deviate too much from the original. Of course, it didn't need to--no one else had heard it before. ;)

Hope they held onto their publishing on that one!
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1220 on: April 09, 2009, 10:35:50 PM »
The Morning Show is playing listener-requested favorite cover versions today. Someone actually called to suggest Pearl Jam's "Last Kiss" and Greg pointed out that it was a "Cover From Hell", thank gawd.

But about a half-hour into the show, a Foghead called and asked... "what's a 'cover song'?" Get this: she thought it had something to do with the album cover! Fogheads drool...

just tuned in and they're playing the cover of "Ring of Fire" by Social Distortion -- kudos!
I guess that's a good sign of the generation gap.  I heard it too, and it just seemed so...generic.  Limply played punk chainsaw guitar riffs, with absolutely no dynamics, and an ennui-filled vocalist.  I guess these guys are famous, and I guess it's somewhat of an in-joke acquired taste.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: April 10, 2009, 09:29:59 AM »
Pearl Jam's "Last Kiss" is playing again, WTF
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: April 13, 2009, 09:06:18 AM »
Oh, joy: The Morning Show now has its own Twitter page.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: April 16, 2009, 09:55:12 AM »
nice pre-10@10 surprise: Elvis C's "Radio Sweetheart" -- I'm not aware of this being in regular (or even semi-regular) KFOG rotation.

And tomorrow they'll celebrate "Interrnational Record Store Day" by playing vinyl and reminiscing!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: April 17, 2009, 10:00:42 AM »
And tomorrow they'll celebrate "Interrnational Record Store Day" by playing vinyl and reminiscing!

Right before 10am they played a call from a Foghead who was wondering where he might find a stylus for playing 78s.

Dave would have known.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: April 17, 2009, 10:05:22 AM »

Right before 10am they played a call from a Foghead who was wondering where he might find a stylus for playing 78s.

Dave would have known.

too true.  I didn't hear much of the show; it was only Webster and Peter (Greg was off and Renee's subbing for Big Rick) and the half-hour or so that I heard didn't exactly inspire me to tune back in after Rob and Bob's sets.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: April 17, 2009, 10:35:39 AM »

Dave would have known.

too true.  I didn't hear much of the show; it was only Webster and Peter (Greg was off and Renee's subbing for Big Rick) and the half-hour or so that I heard didn't exactly inspire me to tune back in after Rob and Bob's sets.

Well then you missed hearing my voice.  I called in to mention that I have a vivid memory of buying my first LP, when I was 12 yrs:  Tarkus by ELP.  Both of them thought that was pretty precocious for a 12-yrd-old, and Peter added that he had a friend who named his dog Tarkus.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: April 22, 2009, 07:41:13 AM »
They're playing Earth Day requests on the morning show today; dunno how this may affect whether we get an ED  Classic from Dave

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: April 22, 2009, 12:43:52 PM »
BIG NEWS. From radio-info.com:

Dave Benson, PD at San Francisco's KFOG, is leaving after 9 years

Cumulus GM Tony Salvadore tells the staff (in a memo posted at the San Francisco board of Radio-Info) that the respected adult alternative and classic rock programmer is leaving later this week. The note says “It is with regret that I must inform you that Dave Benson is leaving Cumulus/S.F. After 9 years, his work on behalf of KFOG [104.5] and more recently his work on behalf of the Bone [classic rock KSAN at 107.7] has been nothing short of spectacular. In a business that is changing very quickly, these are the kind of changes that are inevitable. Dave will always be thought of as an important part of the history that is KFOG.

Dave will be with us over the next few days, please stop by and wish him well."

Another thread on radio-info says that Haley Jones and Benson were once an item but she's now engaged to someone else.

so Benson is the PD, then who is the MD?  and which of these titles is really responsible for the (IMHO) mostly tepid programming we typically hear on KFOG?  I think I heard KFOG's share is decreasing -- maybe from a Ben Fong Torres piece in the Chronicle -- so perhaps mgt is throwing Benson under the bus thinking the dipping numbers are his fault.   But if they stick with the same tired stuff, they might realize people now are just plain sick of AAA playlists.

what do you think?

This explains why Kelly Ransford (the MD) did the New Music Thursday bit on the Morning Show last week rather than Benson. He probably had one foot out the door by then, and odds are he won't get the chance to say "bye-bye" like Dave did.

Not sure if KFOG has lost numbers or not. They used to be ranked somewhere in the teens, and iirc, they tied for #9 in the most recent book. Don't know how that translates to numbers, but they've got more stations chasing them than they used to.

And I have a TANC related to this (or maybe it's just a small world): When I was in college I worked on the concert committee for the Associated Students. We put on a Pat Metheny concert in the fall of '81, so odds are I had some contact with Benson way back then. That was a pretty incredible show, as I recall. First time I ever saw or heard a Fairlight synthesizer live. Sounded like they were landing a helicopter right in our gymnasium.

Ben Fong-Torres' column in Sunday's Chron mentions Benson's departure and says his contract was nor renewed (in the original press release it was unclear whether he'd jumped or been pushed). So it's clearly a budgetary thing, which may also explain the delay in Dave M's "return". Obviously no one's in charge right now, as the scattershot 10@10 rotation also shows.  It would not surprise me at all if they cut Mr Morey loose and had someone else do "10@10: The Next generation" with a lot more '90s and a lot less '60s/early '70s

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: April 22, 2009, 01:14:36 PM »

Ben Fong-Torres' column in Sunday's Chron mentions Benson's departure and says his contract was nor renewed (in the original press release it was unclear whether he'd jumped or been pushed). So it's clearly a budgetary thing, which may also explain the delay in Dave M's "return". Obviously no one's in charge right now, as the scattershot 10@10 rotation also shows.  It would not surprise me at all if they cut Mr Morey loose and had someone else do "10@10: The Next generation" with a lot more '90s and a lot less '60s/early '70s

Great minds. My response to your query over in the thread for today's non-Earth Day set about sending a note to KFOG calling them out for same is reposted below:

Efforts might be better directed in expressing a desire to get Dave producing new 10@10s again. I am thinking that it's management that's dragging their feet by this time, not Dave. If they axed Benson as a cost-cutting measure, perhaps they feel they can afford to just play re-runs that they already own and not pay DM to create new ones. They need to know that we are starting to look elsewhere for fresh material and tuning away from KFOG.

But yes, they could just as easily get someone else (Webster? Annalisa?) to start doing 10@10 Mark II.

Let's get right to it.