Author Topic: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 2/18/08  (Read 7582 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 2/18/08
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 12:24:52 PM »
And now George Thorogood is my cue to go out for lunch. ;)

Having the "one bourbon, one Scotch, and one beer" lunch? :D

Ha! No, I meant that was a song I was more than happy to miss hearing. Lawd, I wasn't lovey-dovey.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 08:12:58 AM »
nice surprise: Ms. Ronstadt's cover of Little Anthony's "Hurts So bad". I love the way she screams at the end.

I love both versions, as well as the Lettermen version.  (My mom had it on 8-track.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 11:30:54 AM »
New to me on CG: Jimmy Cliff's version of "Wild World", not reggae-ish in the least, but a straight-ahead cover of Cat Stevens (or is it the other way around?).

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 03:24:52 PM »
Listening to Greg on CG today, and laughing to myself at his warnings to his male listeners to get checked for "prostrate cancer."  That's not something you want to take lying down... :D
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 03:34:49 PM »
Listening to Greg on CG today, and laughing to myself at his warnings to his male listeners to get checked for "prostrate cancer."  That's not something you want to take lying down... :D

LOL!  That's one of my favorite malapropisms -- one I hear people say all the time, sadly. 

I loved the discussion of the lyrics to "Band of Gold" -- and here he is reading my email about it. And following it with Luther V, being New & True & Gay.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 03:36:46 PM by RGMike »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2008, 06:07:49 AM »
This week's countdown flashback takes us to Feb. 24, 1973, where Loudon Wainwright III comes in at 40 with "Dead Skunk."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2008, 06:18:46 AM »
Kasem gushes about "David Boooey" finally succeeding with "Space Oddity" on its third release.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2008, 06:31:06 AM »
At 34 and new to me: "Give Me Your Love" by Barbara Mason, from Superfly.  No mention from Casey of this being her first visit to the Top 40 in almost eight years.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2008, 06:39:25 AM »
The 5Ds are "Living Together, Growing Together" at 32.  Perhaps in a beautiful balloon!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2008, 06:52:32 AM »
At 29, a song I heard for the first time last Sunday on Barry Scott's Lost 45s: Gallery, "Big City Miss Ruth Ann."  I used to bus tables at a restaurant where one of the waitresses was named Ruth Ann.

At 28, King James, "I got Ants in My Pants (And I Wanna Dance)"!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2008, 07:21:09 AM »
I'm absolutely floored by "Love Jones."

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2008, 08:56:36 AM »
YAAGGGGHHHH!!!  At #2, one of my absolute least favorite songs of all time: "Dueling Banjos."

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2008, 08:59:29 AM »
YAAGGGGHHHH!!!  At #2, one of my absolute least favorite songs of all time: "Dueling Banjos."

Interestingly, Casy credits it to "Deliverance soundtrack" rather than to Eric Weissberg & Steve Mandell (yes, I had to look that up).

And the countdown is redeemed by one of my absolute favorite #1s: "Killing Me Softly With His Song."

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2008, 10:49:50 AM »

I'm so glad you finally got to hear the original!! One of the worst. singles. evah, IMHO.

I heard the first hour and then went back to sleep; I'll catch the rest tonite. But another sledgehammer-laden countdown for me.  Trivia: the 5th Dimension hit was from the ill-fated box office flop musical remake of Lost Horizon (Peter Finch and Liv Ullmann Sing!?!). And we juuuust missed Miss Ross doing "Good Morning Heartache", at #41, and Joni's "You Turn Me On, I'm a Radio", which dropped out that week (Casey had stopped listing drop-outs by '73, I guess).

Why the hate for "Dueling Banjos"? Quite amazing that something like that could get to #2.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2008, 10:23:40 PM »

I'm so glad you finally got to hear the original!! One of the worst. singles. evah, IMHO.

"what is a love jones? shucks, darlin', it's when you love someone very very much... and you jus' can't seem to git yo'self to-GETHA!"  Preposterously overwrought, but I guess that's what teenyboppers were buyin' in '73.  Give me Foster Sylvers any day.