Author Topic: CG/VIP/KPOO/WLNG etc Week of 4/24/06  (Read 8112 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
CG/VIP/KPOO/WLNG etc Week of 4/24/06
« on: April 24, 2006, 10:49:26 AM »
If you didn't hear Liitle Steven last nite, check out the show on-line: salutes to, among other things, Al Pacino's birthday and the premiere of Hair in '68  -- best set of the show, including, yes, the Cowsills, as well as "Can You Dig It" by the Monkees (from Head) and Donovan's "Fat Angel".

All this plus the newly-re-formed Buzzcocks new song and the fabulous, long-lost Joey Ramone/Holly Vincent version of "I Got You Babe". Amazing.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 12:56:38 PM »
I've never heard it on ANY 10@10, but KPOO's Judge plays, of all things, Queen's "Fight From the Inside", from News of the World.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 02:36:09 PM »
Club Nouveau's "other" hit, "Why You Treat Me So Bad?"

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 02:59:16 PM »
Judge follows a Bobby Brown double-play with the Osmonds and sez "from One Bad Apple to another". LOL!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 07:29:35 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Judge follows a Bobby Brown double-play with the Osmonds and sez "from One Bad Apple to another". LOL!

"A is for Apple!"

"K is for Krack!"

"Cinnamon toasty Apple Krack!"
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 11:37:45 AM »
of interest to Gaz: VIP's playing someone named Felice Taylor (?) covering Love Unltd's "It may Be Winter Outside (but in my Heart it's Spring)". A faux-Motown type arrangement.

ETA: and 10 mins later, here's Love Unltd themselves with "Walking in the Rain With The One I Love" (Mr White did love those long song titles, no?).

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 02:03:48 PM »
VIP's "just played" feature's not working, but they're playing a reggaefied cover of Millie Jackson's "It Hurts so Good".  The stuff they come up with never fails to amaze.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 02:14:39 PM »
VIP's "just played" feature's not working, but they're playing a reggaefied cover of Millie Jackson's "It Hurts so Good".  The stuff they come up with never fails to amaze.

anecdote of the day: "Hurts so good" was written by Philip Johnson, who also wrote many other soul hits in the '70s, foremost among them Mel & Tim's "Starting All Over Again" -- apparently he got a call asking him to write a song with that title for Mel & Tim, and he thought they said Sam & Dave -- he figured  S&D were getting back together (it was 1972) and so the title made sense. He wrote it in a car on the way to the studio, and found out later who it was really for.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 02:25:58 PM »
OMG! whinyface Elliman's lovely cover of "Hello Stranger" -- haven't heard this in ages.  shoo-bop-shoo-bop, mah baby!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 03:02:20 PM »
and now VIP totally makes my day with the J-5, "Mama's Pearl", the 5th of their 6-in-a-row Top Two career-starting singles and the one you hear the least, by far.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 09:02:06 PM »
of interest to Gaz: VIP's playing someone named Felice Taylor (?) covering Love Unltd's "It may Be Winter Outside (but in my Heart it's Spring)". A faux-Motown type arrangement.

Actually, it worked in reverse: Part of what brought Barry White and Glodean James together was that she owned a copy of the Felice Taylor single, which Barry had produced and arranged.  A few years later Love Unltd. recorded their version in part as tribute to what love (and vinyl) had joined together.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 07:30:11 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

Actually, it worked in reverse: Part of what brought Barry White and Glodean James together was that she owned a copy of the Felice Taylor single, which Barry had produced and arranged.  A few years later Love Unltd. recorded their version in part as tribute to what love (and vinyl) had joined together.

live'n'learn!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 08:10:55 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

live'n'learn!

Anyway, I thank you for bringing them up, 'cuz it got me to pull their CD out for the first time in many, many months and revisit it during my commute to work.  What lovely work, especially underknown tracks "Under the Influence of Love," "Move Me No Mountain," and "I Needed Love—You Were There."  And no kidding about those long song titles that Barry favored; they carried over into the girls' work as well: "High Steppin' Hip Dressin' Fella (You Got It Together)" is a highwater mark.  Albeit not as hilariously gratuitous as the "Babe" in "I'm Gonna Love You Just a Little More, Babe."

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 11:36:47 AM »
CG treats us to the remake of "Relight My Fire" by Take That featuring Lulu!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 11:53:37 AM »
thanks to CG, I'm hearing BAD's "E=MC squared" twice in 90 mins.  Now I don't have to listen to the 10@10 replay tonite!

"I like a bit of a cavort."