Author Topic: 15 Sept 2015: an "encore" from... 1994  (Read 4301 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
15 Sept 2015: an "encore" from... 1994
« on: September 15, 2015, 07:57:02 AM »
well, after 2003 yesterday, anything's possible.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 10:03:00 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: 15 Sept 2015: an "encore" from... ??
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 08:02:50 AM »

And, after the experiences of the last couple of weeks, I'm predicting another 2003.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 08:38:24 AM »

And, after the experiences of the last couple of weeks, I'm predicting another 2003.

Hee Hee.

The Peak did 1999 today; they still haven't crossed the '00 threshold. And they went back to 1965 last week.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 09:53:22 AM »
Per urth's post re: tomorrow being KFOG's birthday, it's a reasonable guess we'll do '82 then.  So today could be '90s or '70s, I'm thinking.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 15 Sept 2015: an "encore" from... 1994
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 10:03:22 AM »
Weezer look like Buddy Holly to start.

and once again it's an AL 1.0 set....

12/2/10-Thursday!! Checking Out The Sounds of...1994!

1.  Weezer- Buddy Holly
(Movie: Forrest Gump)
 2.  Counting Crows- Einstein On The Beach
(TV: My So Called Life)
 3.  Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories- Stay
 4.  Urge Overkill- Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon
(Movie: Pulp Fiction)
 5.  Elastica- Connection
 6.  Stone Temple Pilots- Interstate Love Song
(News: Nelson Mandela elected President)
 7.  Stone Roses- Love Spreads (BOS-Tie!!)
 8.  Veruca Salt- Seether (BOS-Tie!!)
(News: OJ Simpson bronco chase)
 9.  Afghan Whigs- Debonair
(Movie: True Lies/ Arnold Schwarzenegger)
10. Lemonheads- Into Your Arms
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 10:06:36 AM by RGMike »

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 10:27:19 AM »
When I first looked at that list I had a feeling we'd heard a couple of those songs recently.

Yep. The Counting Crows song was in the last Local Artists set (the one that was a replay), and Elastica was in one of the two 95 sets we got during 90s week.

All that said, this set is pretty decent, as a lot of the AL 1.0 sets tended to be. Sounds a lot like what I was hearing in 94.
Let's get right to it.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 10:31:11 AM »
When I first looked at that list I had a feeling we'd heard a couple of those songs recently.

Yep. The Counting Crows song was in the last Local Artists set (the one that was a replay), and Elastica was in one of the two 95 sets we got during 90s week.

All that said, this set is pretty decent, as a lot of the AL 1.0 sets tended to be. Sounds a lot like what I was hearing in 94.
I agree completely. I really like Elastica. I'm surprised they weren't bigger.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 10:36:23 AM »

yeah, good set!   

That Elastica song is super catchy. I just looked them on on wikipedia and see they only released two studio records. One in 1995 and one in 2000. The 95 record produced five singles, three charted in the US on the Modern Rock chart, in 93, 94 and 95. Pretty good mileage from one album. If they had produced more stuff, they might've gotten a firmer hold here.
~CPL593H~

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 10:39:10 AM »

yeah, good set!   

That Elastica song is super catchy. I just looked them on on wikipedia and see they only released two studio records. One in 1995 and one in 2000. The 95 record produced five singles, three charted in the US on the Modern Rock chart, in 93, 94 and 95. Pretty good mileage from one album. If they had produced more stuff, they might've gotten a firmer hold here.
Good data. Thanks for that. I suspected they might not have had much output, but that waiting 5 years for your follow-up album isn't a recipe for success, especially when your songs are like 2 minutes long.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 10:50:19 AM »
If that weren't enough trivia: I went and read that Wikipedia entry, then followed it to Justine Frischmann's (she being the band's singer) and found that she's currently married to a professor of atmospheric science at UC Davis, and lives somewhere in the Bay area. Who'd a thunk?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justine_Frischmann

Chicks dig geeks!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 10:58:26 AM by RGMike »
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 02:17:15 PM »
If that weren't enough trivia: I went and read that Wikipedia entry, then followed it to Justine Frischmann's (she being the band's singer) and found that she's currently married to a professor of atmospheric science at UC Davis, and lives somewhere in the Bay area. Who'd a thunk?

Chicks dig geeks!

Interesting band. Justine was in Suede and she was dating the singer, Brett Anderson; She then dumped him, quit the band, and started dating Damon Albarn of Blur.

The band was sued by Wire and The Stranglers for plagiarism.  Settled out of court.   ("Connection" copied pretty obviously from Wire's "Three Girl Rumba.") 

Also, they released singles in 93,94, and 95 but the album WITH those singles was dropped (aw, yeah.. dropped) in 95. Thus the strange dates of the chart action in my prev post.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 03:57:10 PM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 04:46:05 PM »

Chicks dig geeks!

Hmmm, not sure what happened with this post. The part that talks about her being married to a UCD prof was mine, but the "chicks dig geeks part" was not. And it looks like RGM edited my post. (I suspect he thought he was quoting it, not editing.)

No harm done, but do be careful clicking the proper buttons here, folks.
Let's get right to it.