Author Topic: KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 7/18/11  (Read 4012 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 7/18/11
« on: July 18, 2011, 09:44:18 AM »
The Boardwalk once again plays Shelby Lynne's lovely "I Only Wanna Be With You" cover... one of my fave (belated) discoveries of the year.  Followed by Mr Saddiq's fab "100-yard Dash" and the wonderful Darrell Banks classic "Open the Door To Your Heart" and the forgotten "Swing Your Daddy" by Jim Gilstrap.

ETA: bwahahaha - they're playing the 2000 request I didn't get from AL, Tom Jones' "Sex Bomb" feat Mousse T.

wow -- early ('60s) Charlie Rich -- washing his hands in muddy water, and sounding a bit like Elvis.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 10:47:06 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 7/18/11
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 11:21:35 AM »
So I'm trying out The Bone for an hour or so, 'cause i haven't heard them in ages. Looked at their Just Played from this morning -- AC/DC and Whitesnake each played twice in 2 hours. So The Bone is still trying to be "harder" than K-Fox, I guess, though in that case they shouldn't be playing "Hotel Calif"... but they are. And I guess they're a tad "younger" as well -- I doubt K-Fox is playing Soundgarden.

NTM: Five Fingered Death Punch (who?) covering BadCo's "Bad Company" with entirely too many Nicklebackian vocal flourishes.

But hey: Jimi, LedZep and the Ramones in quick succession.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 11:45:54 AM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 02:01:03 PM »
So I'm trying out The Bone for an hour or so, 'cause i haven't heard them in ages. Looked at their Just Played from this morning -- AC/DC and Whitesnake each played twice in 2 hours. So The Bone is still trying to be "harder" than K-Fox, I guess, though in that case they shouldn't be playing "Hotel Calif"... but they are. And I guess they're a tad "younger" as well -- I doubt K-Fox is playing Soundgarden.

NTM: Five Fingered Death Punch (who?) covering BadCo's "Bad Company" with entirely too many Nicklebackian vocal flourishes.

But hey: Jimi, LedZep and the Ramones in quick succession.

Yes, they are much harder. (Insert "bone" joke here, or wait about 5 minutes and their station IDs will do it for you).  I heard Five Finger Death Punch doing that cover the other day. I had to turn it off.   blecch.

A lot of extreme juvenile antics in the morning, but I like the tunes. 

And their evening jock Nikki Blakk -- God, I hope I spelled that correctly, I suspect I left out an umlaut -- hosted the Bone Metal Zone the other night and had on some musician who was raising awareness of foreign rockers who are living in oppressed lands.  They focused on some Iraqi metal band - or maybe they were Irani? - and the discussion got downright political.   
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 03:55:14 PM »
Listened to Dallas/Ft Worth's alt-country The Range this afternoon, they're def worth a hour or 2 when you're sick of the usual usual.  Nice way to close things out tday: Ray Price's orig "You're The Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me", before Gladys covered it.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 07:56:44 AM »
From the Peak to JJ without missing a beat: jus' 7 numbers can straighten out Levi's life.

ooo! sweet fat Kim Weston's orig "Take me In Your Arms". And sweet Lou is on a dead-end street while Rev Al backs up his train.

Bobb B. Soxx and the BlueJeans, "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah". Always wondered what possessed them to cover that song.

Holy crap! the (orig?) soul version of "California Sun" -- pre-Rivieras surf-rock version -- by Joe Jones.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 08:51:24 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 11:22:59 AM »
Damn, the Boardwalk never fails me: The Intrigues' fabulous "In a Moment" followed by Billy Ocean's "Love Really Hurts..."

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 08:51:31 AM »
Atlantic2NG's retro-chart is from July 1977 today. And if AL is in the '90s or worse I may just stick with this.

NTM Jesse Green, "Come With Me", cheezy mid'-70s soul that seems to be ripping off "Love's Theme" and "Love Boat" simultaneously.

Also NTM, Barry Biggs (who?) covering Blue Magic's "3-Ring Circus" rather nicely.

OMFG! Jonathan Richman's "Roadrunner" was a UK Top 40 Hit?!?

Wow, the Dave Edmunds version of "I Knew the Bride".

no surprise: Supertramp back-2-back with F.Mac.

amazing: "I Just Wanna Be Your Everything" only got to #26 in the UK.  Tavares' "One Step Away" is NTM and quite a catchy, danceable pop single.

OMFG2: Queen's "Good Old-Fashioned Loverboy" is a delightful surprise. ooo-la!

Ha! Carole Bayer Seger's "You're Moving Out", which was also done that year by the Divine Miss M.

your nasty habits aren't confined to bed
the grocer told me what you do with bread...

ooo! Detroit Emeralds, "Feel the Need"! Holy crap: Alessi, "Oh Lori", NTM and rather sweet.

jeezus, Brotherhood of Man's "Angelo" is a laughably awful ripoff of "Fernando".
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:23:20 AM by RGMike »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 10:22:49 AM »
Atlantic2NG's retro-chart is from July 1977 today. And if AL is in the '90s or worse I may just stick with this.

This Angelo song by Brotherhood of ABBA Man is NTM.

nice Jacksons

I am rather unfamiliar with Boney M's oeuvre, so hearing them is kind of exciting!

Quote from: RGMike
But uber-WOS Boney M's execrable "Ma Baker", their dreadfully sung ode to a female gangster whose name they couldn't be bothered to get right (it's BARKER, you morons!). Seriously, what a godawful record this is.

Actually, I dig the music, sorta, but the whole experience is an all-around cartoon.  "The money or your lives."  I appreciate the subtlety there: it's not really "their" money, it's the bank's money.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:45:47 AM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 10:24:09 AM »

This Angelo song by Brotherhood of ABBA Man is NTM.

ABBA ripoff JINX!!  This is hilariously bad.

But hooray for the Stranglers. Think they're playing the B-side by mistake, tho'. It's supposed to be "Peaches"

Sam, Sam, you know where ONJ am. This was actually Top Ten in the UK?

Yay! the Pistols are pretty... they're vay-CUNT!

another yay -- the Jacksons fab "Show You the Way to Go", a UK #1 that underperformed in the US. And another US shoulda-been: Gladys' wonderful "Baby Don't Change Your Mind".

But uber-WOS Boney M's execrable "Ma Baker", their dreadfully sung ode to a female gangster whose name they couldn't be bothered to get right (it's BARKER, you morons!). Seriously, what a godawful record this is.

Holy flaming mutha! ELP's "Fanfare for the Common Man" got to #2 ?

And we close with one of my fave Hot Chocolate songs, "So You Win Again", yet another fine Russ Ballard composition.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:52:39 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 02:53:26 PM »
I've stuck with 2NG the rest of the day and they are a wondefully eclectic mix. Here's the Hurricane Smith version of "Who Was It"?" which was his US follow-up to "Oh babe..." and was (I think) written by Gilbert O.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 01:33:48 PM »
listening to KCDX this afternoon: hadn't heard Mott's version of "Sweet Jane" in ages.

1:29 pm - Mott The Hoople - Sweet Jane
1:25 pm - Dobie Gray - Drift Away
1:19 pm - Grateful Dead - Box Of Rain
1:14 pm - Crack The Sky - We Want Mine
1:12 pm - Jimi Hendrix - Crosstown Traffic
1:09 pm - Three Dog Night - Easy to Be Hard
1:06 pm - The Hollies - Dear Eloise

TANC: after Mott, Ms Ronstadt's "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" showed up. What were the odds??

OMGWTF: hadn't heard Michael Quatro's hilariously cheezy "Rollerbach" since I saw the movie it's from (the orig 1975 Rollerball, natch).  And I can't recall the last time I heard the Animals' "Help Me Girl".
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 03:45:11 PM by RGMike »