Author Topic: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 5/19/08  (Read 6687 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 5/19/08
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 01:53:31 PM »
Thank you Mr Scelsa: I haven't heard Judy Collins' cover of Donovan's "Sunny Goodge Street" in 30 years, easily. "My My they sigh..."
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 02:10:36 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 01:56:04 PM »
After that fab salute to Cali, John says "Gimme Some Truth"!  Scelsa rules -- I gotta add this to my weekly must-listens.

"GST" is a weekly occurence with Vin--I believe he's been playing it for awhile, like maybe since, oh, late January of 2001.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 03:30:28 PM »
Over to WLNG for Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazelwood's forgotten "Summer Wine".  And it's followed by her dad with "That's Life".
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 03:34:11 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 02:10:55 PM »
"Take it to the skozmos!" Wherever that is.  CGSS is Funkin' for Jamaica (Jamaica, Queens, that is).

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 02:46:01 PM »
Stevie wants to see me in the raw, under the stars above -- let's just say he's lucky he's blind.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 03:10:09 PM »
Hey Mike, have you had any problem with the CG player, when listening to archived shows, timing out on you if you put it on pause? I've had it happen twice today, and since it won't let you advance thru the stream to a specific point in the show, it means you have to listen from the beginning all over again. Kind of a pain.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008, 03:13:37 PM »
Hey Mike, have you had any problem with the CG player, when listening to archived shows, timing out on you if you put it on pause? I've had it happen twice today, and since it won't let you advance thru the stream to a specific point in the show, it means you have to listen from the beginning all over again. Kind of a pain.

the pause button doesn't work at all on mine!  When they first launched the new player, it was possible to fast forward, but I guess the advertisers complained.  They keep promising to break up the long shows (like CGSS) into smaller segments of 2 hours each, but so far no dice.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2008, 04:10:31 PM »
Tonight's Barry Scott strikes gold early, with Donny & Marie's take on "Deep Purple."  Never heard their take on Deep Purple, though.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2008, 05:04:51 PM »
More great Scott: Rocky Burnette's Mike fave "Tired of Toein' the Line," and - OMGWTFLOL! - Carly, not afraid of changing her act on "Attitude Dancing."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2008, 05:13:45 PM »
Can't remember which thread you mentioned it on this week, Mike, but Barry just played Herbie Mann's "Hijack."  Great stuff!  Traumatizing album cover, though.  Why'd it tumble off the chart so suddenly?

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2008, 10:13:25 PM »
Can't remember which thread you mentioned it on this week, Mike, but Barry just played Herbie Mann's "Hijack." 

It was in the Top 20 of Casey's 1975 chart last week. Flute solos are almost as rare on the charts as xylophone solos! Dunno why it tumbled the way it did; maybe there was an actual hijacking? (they were big in the '70s)

As to the Carly: it was considered quite the misstep at the time, since it peaked at #21 and no other Top 40 hits were forthcoming from her all-too-appropriately titled LP, Playing Possum. It would be 2 years before she had another hit, and that was the James Bond theme she sang but didn't write.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 10:15:35 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2008, 11:11:19 PM »
Selvin kicks off his show tonite with the Brains' fab orig version of "Money Changes Everything". Still an amazing track. 

Selvin's guest is Richard Gossin (?), a former KSAN-in-the-free-form-days DJ, and they're reminiscing about when radio was cool.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2008, 10:59:37 AM »
Selvin kicks off his show tonite with the Brains' fab orig version of "Money Changes Everything". Still an amazing track. 

Selvin's guest is Richard Gossin (?), a former KSAN-in-the-free-form-days DJ, and they're reminiscing about when radio was cool.

Probably was Richard Gossett.
Let's get right to it.